Home

Anybody get a feeling that 2K is switching game engines for 2K18 or 2K19

This is a discussion on Anybody get a feeling that 2K is switching game engines for 2K18 or 2K19 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #17
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anybody get a feeling that 2K is switching game engines for 2K18 or 2K19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
Well most 2k threads you pretty much call for 2ks downfall anyway, so that's why I asked. You're a regular poster and usually it's "2k is trash". I don't see how you think the game is going to be better for you now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Use the ignore feature. I have with him and the other perpetually negative posters. Why they continue to be around something they clearly don't like I'll never understand. There's another option this year...

On topic: Nope. But If defense and movement are addressed it would feel like a new engine.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #18
Banned

Who'd a thunk it, that a forum message board would have people people with different opinions?

I'm not really sure why people think its ok to attack other posters rather than the content of what they post though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
You can voice your opinion any time you wish. Do it constructively without attacking anyone (other users and devs alike)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Yesh2kdone; 07-30-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #19
Pro

I don't think Development teams just switch out engines like that, It's not that simple i believe. The game would need to not be released for 3-4 years to build on a new one. Sports games don't operate that way unless something goes horribly wrong (NBA Live franchise). 2K swaps out bits and parts year by year. Regardless of what some folks say. 2K11 and 2k17 are vastly different feeling games. I'm no Dev, but i do however have some reference points from family members who are.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #20
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

Is engine synonymous with available tech? If so, I'm happy with the approach they're taking, adding slowly to the game. I probably couldn't function without the playbook updates that they do, and I feel like they've only recently gained the ability to make changes like that and tune the game on the fly. Would that be considered improving the engine? Gaining the tech to do that?

I also remember in one of Czar's more recent videos, nuggets playbook I think, he was talking about new tech he was playing with that improved the AI teammates decision making or branching abilities. Would that be considered changing the engine?

Also, I reference Czar videos a lot. Sorry if that's annoying.

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 AM   #21
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Eco Motion if that's what they're still calling the graphics and animation engine isn't that bad. If they can make the movement less wonky and animations less invasive then the game will feel much better.

I just want to see better physics being displayed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #22
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaxxbearsxxx
Is engine synonymous with available tech? If so, I'm happy with the approach they're taking, adding slowly to the game. I probably couldn't function without the playbook updates that they do, and I feel like they've only recently gained the ability to make changes like that and tune the game on the fly. Would that be considered improving the engine? Gaining the tech to do that?

I also remember in one of Czar's more recent videos, nuggets playbook I think, he was talking about new tech he was playing with that improved the AI teammates decision making or branching abilities. Would that be considered changing the engine?

Also, I reference Czar videos a lot. Sorry if that's annoying.
Quotes from Czar videos are NEVER annoying . It's around this time that people forget that 2k14 was built on a new engine for next gen. It's part of the reason that game was so barebones.

One thing you wouldn't know if you are not in the industry is that when you create a new engine it takes an incredible amount of time and energy just to get the game to work let alone to work at the same level it was at before you installed the new engine.

So it takes a few years to fully take advantage of those new systems. Almost nothing we are doing now was even remotely possible on last gen.

Progress in video-games on yearly releases is rarely in a straight line some things get better some things get worse. It is a constant give and take to make the game fit within available resources.

*Now back to lurking and working on 2K18*
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #23
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

It certainly feels like 2k has plateaued in terms of year-to-year improvements.

As someone who has been playing 2k since Ben Wallace was on the cover, i fear the game may never feel "new" enough for me to ever really enjoy it like i used to. Every year for the past few years has felt "same old". Same old animation foundations, with some new additions. I envy the kids who get to play this game for the first time this upcoming year.

On the bright side, at least i know there will always be an updated NBA game/roster at the ready if i ever need it.

And if i feel like something totally different, then i can always hope NBA Live get their act together!

Last edited by Barncore; 08-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #24
Rookie

2k17 isn't really fun to play. Madden is much more enjoyable to play right now

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »