Home

Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

This is a discussion on Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

We live in a time where the community makes it so we can't have things that might help some do something in a realistic manner because they'll exploit and find a way to make an exploit out of it. It's sad but it's also the truth and that's why it has to be a tough balance. The other day my cousin who also plays 2K came over and I was letting him play Park on my account and he was asking if my guy could speed boost and looking at dribble moves that are for it. I told him I don't even know how to and don't do that stuff. I don't even want to know so I don't have it in my head to ever do.

I don't even really know how to dribble much nor have I ever really tried to learn how to but whenever I play as my playmaker or point forward, I usually can get past my guy just by chaining some moves together and seeing where it goes or activating the ankle breaker badge. I more than understand that it probably helps against the CPU who are able to keep up with you but 80% of the community can't really play that masterful defense and can't guess where you're going to go so it's not as hard as some think to beat them off a dribble and make your move. Someone mentioned it earlier but I usually enjoy 2K more when it first comes out and those first few months because the game is still new and no one knows too many exploits and everyone is on the same level. That's when the game is at it's most fun for me before all the cheese tutorials come out, everyone uses the same shot/moves and people break/glitch the game to try and get an advantage over everyone else then leak it for views.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

The community is going to exploit because they want to win. They don't care how. That does NOT fall on 2K. That falls on the player. Players will exploit in order to win. That is not on 2K's shoulders. Every year they try to correct what the damn community is exploiting.

"Here's our game". From then on it's patch after patch trying to cater to the community and their needs or exploits.

2K's initial release is usually fantastic. Then the community blows it all to hell.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

I've VERY rarely played against a "dribble gawd" that actually knows what they're doing when it comes to playing the game. They're following a flow chart of "do this this this and this" rather than reacting to what they see on the court, and end up being so predictable that you can bait them into taking their bad shots because you know where all their dribble spam is eventually going to end up. It's people like that that usually bring out the worst in me because I make it a point to let them know how foolish they look doing all those moves and literally going nowhere with them. I'm lucky if I do one dribble move per play and I've got no problems getting to the rim at will. Averaging 20.1 PPG, 8.7 APG, and 63.6% FG in 588 games. I don't spam dribble moves, and I don't use double brick wall screens and rarely even use one screen..
Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Is the speed boost the animation where a player lowers his shoulders and becomes faster than Sonic the Hedgehog? I could only do it a few times but by accident like dribble, stop and hold turbo. It didn't last long.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #21
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

People just don't know the differences. It's people that spam exploding out of moves and to me that's "Speed Boosting" and it's very hard to guard almost impossible w/ the right players doing it.

I don't think exploding out of moves should be taken out like they somewhat did in 2K16 after a few patches. Just make players energy go down faster. A lot of players can literally dribble all over the place for almost the whole shot clock in Park and Pro-Am. Maybe the more dribble moves you do the more tangible the ball becomes. Something has to be done. You very rarely see players doing more than 3 crossovers and etc in one possession.

Also like Coach Colbert said, this community is terrible. But it's because of YouTube. You have some guys that literally look for exploits and cheating tactics in the game to hurry up and post on YouTube for subs, likes and stuff like that. Then everyone starts using the same exploits and 2K becomes terrible online.

I could only imagine if like back in 2K11 YouTube was bad like it is now. It would've been almost unplayable because everyone would've been spin dunking. Fortunately it wasn't and it wasn't that bad to where it was never even fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
thats the part i HATE. everybody does the same moves, same shots, same dunk packages, same offensive strategy to exploit 2k hotspots"

this is my main gripe with the 2k community. nobody wants to play basketball. they want to play "lookatmydribblepackage", "watchmescoreallthepointsalone", "idontunderstanddefensiveangles"

main reason im making the switch this year. cancerous community lol
That’s how a lot of people think in real life that do pick up games for fun . you switching isn’t going to stop that from being the common mindstate
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by renni
That’s how a lot of people think in real life that do pick up games for fun . you switching isn’t going to stop that from being the common mindstate
ive run pick up/pro am games (AAU) all across the country - from growing up in philly, to playing college ball in louisiana and southern cali. every place had a lil diff set of rules but everywhere ive ever played, you get to ball hoggin like cats do on 2k - i can bet it wont be long til someone checks you on it lol.

from what ive seen over the past couple years with Live is, YES Live has its own special breed of ball hogs but youre more likely to run into guys who know how to hoop or understand basketball more so than 2k. i think thats becuase 2k is a part of pop culture right now. 2k will attract more casual players than hoopers. until Live is as popular as 2k, it will have the "quieter community" lol.

my psn friends agree with you though lol, in fact one of the homies said "i hope everybody on Live have the dumbest basketball iq so you can stop all this live talk and get back with the program" LMAO. my 2k boys are HOT with me but they understand my point, they just disagree with me.

im on 2k community strike until further notice I JUST PLAYING kinda lol
Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
Pro

Everyone is saying that speed boosting is realistic or is a fast first step.
I argue that it is neither.

You have attributes for speed and speed with ball, but nothing at all for quickness or agility.

I have real life friends that are slow as molasses, but are quick and have a quick first step.
This has nothing to do with speed.
A mean first step is the result of quickness, agility, and deception, not speed.
But, in 2k17 a quick "first step" is actually a speed boost!

If you are moving with the ball, speed with ball is in effect when you hold turbo. But, when you do one of the speed boosting dribble moves, that speed is increased.
That's speed boosting!

Now, if you want to say that it's just a quick first step, please explain why that speed boost continues to last after the first step and through more dribble chains.

Speed boosting needs to be removed, but a quick first step should replace it.

I'm not making this argument because speed boosting is hard to guard, but because it's unrealistic.
There are very few speed boosters that are very good at making it work against a good defender.
Most become extremely predictable because that's all they can do, what they rely on, and can only pull it off going in one direction.

That's my opinion based on Pro Am. I'm sure that it is different other game modes.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »