Home

Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

This is a discussion on Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #25
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
Is the speed boost the animation where a player lowers his shoulders and becomes faster than Sonic the Hedgehog? I could only do it a few times but by accident like dribble, stop and hold turbo. It didn't last long.
No. That's a launch. Speed boosts don't have a specific animation, it's just an explosion of speed. Ironically, the animation you're talking about I've never seen out of a "Dribble Gawd".

I also agree with Dakkon. I've never had issues with the over dribblers. None of them understand the mechanics past what youtube showed them. And the flow chart analogy is perfect. It shows by how many of them have to do that hop step to shoot even on open shots.

It's like a guy who learns every 10-string in Tekken and doesn't understand how he's getting wrecked by a guy who's using pokes, mix ups, and basic 2-3 hit bread'n'butter combos. They learn this chain, but they don't know when or how to use it correctly.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #26
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

OVR: 0

I think that speed boosting is fine as long as it's in the context of seamlessly chaining moves together without loosing speed between animations and without an artificial boost to speed the specific player shouldn't be capable of because of faulty game mechanics. 2k has been known to have "hitches" in the transition between animations. Most notably when it comes to driving after performing a dribble. However, I think that dribblers should have serious consequences the more they chain. They should see a increasingly larger reduction of speed, lower shooting percentages, and hit to overall stamina the more they chain.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #27
Pro

SuperNoVa27's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Everyone is saying that speed boosting is realistic or is a fast first step.
I argue that it is neither.

You have attributes for speed and speed with ball, but nothing at all for quickness or agility.

I have real life friends that are slow as molasses, but are quick and have a quick first step.
This has nothing to do with speed.
A mean first step is the result of quickness, agility, and deception, not speed.
But, in 2k17 a quick "first step" is actually a speed boost!

If you are moving with the ball, speed with ball is in effect when you hold turbo. But, when you do one of the speed boosting dribble moves, that speed is increased.
That's speed boosting!

Now, if you want to say that it's just a quick first step, please explain why that speed boost continues to last after the first step and through more dribble chains.

Speed boosting needs to be removed, but a quick first step should replace it.

I'm not making this argument because speed boosting is hard to guard, but because it's unrealistic.
There are very few speed boosters that are very good at making it work against a good defender.
Most become extremely predictable because that's all they can do, what they rely on, and can only pull it off going in one direction.

That's my opinion based on Pro Am. I'm sure that it is different other game modes.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

I always felt like 2k should have a first step attribute. Opens the door for taller MyPlayers that aren't playmakers and keeps people like Durant from dribbling the same way Steph does.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #28
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Everyone is saying that speed boosting is realistic or is a fast first step.
I argue that it is neither.

You have attributes for speed and speed with ball, but nothing at all for quickness or agility.

I have real life friends that are slow as molasses, but are quick and have a quick first step.
This has nothing to do with speed.
A mean first step is the result of quickness, agility, and deception, not speed.
But, in 2k17 a quick "first step" is actually a speed boost!

If you are moving with the ball, speed with ball is in effect when you hold turbo. But, when you do one of the speed boosting dribble moves, that speed is increased.
That's speed boosting!

Now, if you want to say that it's just a quick first step, please explain why that speed boost continues to last after the first step and through more dribble chains.

Speed boosting needs to be removed, but a quick first step should replace it.

I'm not making this argument because speed boosting is hard to guard, but because it's unrealistic.
There are very few speed boosters that are very good at making it work against a good defender.
Most become extremely predictable because that's all they can do, what they rely on, and can only pull it off going in one direction.

That's my opinion based on Pro Am. I'm sure that it is different other game modes.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app
acceleration rating should really be the key, just like agility. having an elite combo of acceleration and agility should allow for quick first steps.

speed with ball should be tied to handles tbh.. with ball control as a modifier for speed when dribbling.. high ball control means you can reach as close to top speed with the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »