Home

NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #321
Pro

wisdom less13's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

This was everything I kind of griped about to my boys. Impressed. On to the next scoop...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app

Franchise Mode Enthusiast.
Watch Me Suck at video games...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #322
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstat
There is a very, very small number of players in all of history that could effectively guard more than 2 positions. Yeah some players do it out of necessity but that doesn't mean they are good at it.

I'm fine with a badge that would allow for more but I think cracking down on 5-wing lineups in general way outweighs the negatives.
Having it as an option doesn't hurt. How many players in the game have only 1 position label but still have access to add a 2nd position?
Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #323
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
There is a very, very small number of players in all of history that could effectively guard more than 2 positions. Yeah some players do it out of necessity but that doesn't mean they are good at it.

I'm fine with a badge that would allow for more but I think cracking down on 5-wing lineups in general way outweighs the negatives.

That's an exaggeration lol. Draymond Green and Kawhi Leonard come to mind immediately. Both can effectively guard at least 3 positions.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #324
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
That's an exaggeration lol. Draymond Green and Kawhi Leonard come to mind immediately. Both can effectively guard at least 3 positions.
Wow. You named two guys that account for the last 3 defensive player of the year awards.

That's like saying triple doubles aren't impressive, look at how many Magic and Westbrook have...
Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #325
Rookie

Speaking of positions...in 2k17, I had a lineup with Kevin Durant coming off the bench in MyTeam. Durant would get auto-subbed in at power forward quite a bit, when I wanted him in at small forward. It seemed like that depended on who I had as my top power forward on the bench. If they were shorter that Durant (that seemed to be the determining factor), then Durant would come in as the power forward...and my power forward would get put in at small forward.

Is there a way to define which positions a player should only play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #326
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

Quote:
Wow. You named two guys that account for the last 3 defensive player of the year awards.

That's like saying triple doubles aren't impressive, look at how many Magic and Westbrook have...

My point is that there are two examples of current players who can guard multiple positions. So can LeBron. Iguodala. Tony Allen. Klay Thompson and hell even Iman Shumpert can competently guard 1-3. Jae Crowder can guard 2-3 and stretch 4's. Positional fluidity is at an all time high, and a lot of guys can competently guard multiple positions. In the past, I'm quite sure they could as well. But positions were far more rigid, and defensive schemes didn't allow for a ton of switching. I disagree with your claim.

Last edited by GoDucks1224; 08-30-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #327
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
My point is that there are two examples of current players who can guard multiple positions. So can LeBron. Iguodala. Tony Allen. Klay Thompson and hell even Iman Shumpert can competently guard 1-3. Jae Crowder can guard 2-3 and stretch 4's. Positional fluidity is at an all time high, and a lot of guys can competently guard multiple positions. In the past, I'm quite sure they could as well. But positions were far more rigid, and defensive schemes didn't allow for a ton of switching. I just think your claim is pretty baseless and frankly, silly lol.
Yeah... none of those guys are as effective defending outside their primary and secondary positions. Lebron doesn't even guard his own position anymore.

We're into laughable now territory where just because a guy is playing way outside his position, you assume he can do it well with no decline. It's a joke.

Frankly even Draymond green, with all of his versatility, would be abused defending taller bigs with actual post skills. He gets by today because even the 4/5s are face-up shooters where height is more negated.

Last edited by Kstat; 08-30-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #328
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Quote:
Yeah... none of those guys are as effective defending outside their primary and secondary positions. Lebron doesn't even guard his own position anymore.

We're into laughable now territory where just because a guy is playing way outside his position, you assume he can do it well. It's a joke.

Lol yeah sure.

Nah, what's laughable is you assuming guys can't guard someone because they're outside their position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »