Home

NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #337
MVP

OVR: 15
Icon9 Re: NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

Did OG explain team (default) defensive philosophies. It sounds like each team has a default defense they play through ACE. How will we know what the team defensive philosophy is set to if we do not make any manual defensive setting adjustments?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #338
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I can't even tell you all how many times i've read this blog, and watched the videos now. I can't wait to see all of this in action.
Glad I'm not the only one.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #339
Pro

hesko's Arena

OVR: 5

boost!!!! now all we need is some "get skinny" split the dribble animations from ball handlers that do such a thing and some, but not a lot of fancy alley-oop animations that could be done in game if players are on a fast break with a teammate ala blake and jamal crawford style.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #340
MVP

OVR: 0

delete Msg

Last edited by Impetuous65; 09-29-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #341
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

This blog got me more excited and hyped than DaCzar's. Not because it is better or i don't know what, i just think that defense had more room for improvement and needed it more than offense. I hope for a huge jump in that part this year, let's hope it will execute as planned
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2017, 03:25 AM   #342
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

5 out isolation concerns; Cheese tactic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq_qI3mN71Y&app=desktop

@5:30 mark, looks like it was user vs user running 5 out isolation all the time. The only reason the defender clamp the paint was because the user switched defender, but other than that all the teammates stayed home at the perimeter. If you also take notice of the original defender that the user controlled decided to go back out and guard the perimeter at the very end. This just seems like a strict programmed situation rather than defenders "reading and reacting" to the situation at hand.

If 2k18 has supposedly removed the "sticky-ness" of on ball defenders, wouldn't this be a cheese tactic? This is why I was so concerned about Da_Czar offensive blog regarding isolation.

"Isolation (Iso vs poor; Iso vs average; Iso vs good; Iso vs elite). This is a subtle layer of sophistication that enables scorers to be more aggressive and increase their touches even for plays that were not initially ran for them.

Don’t be surprised to see the top scorers in the league wave off a play because they like their chances of scoring against their current match-up.

We also use this to run a check for non-isolation players, who may have a decided post-up advantage, and allow them to break a play to go beast mode on their matchup."

When I think about defending the isolation play, I'm thinking the ball handler is looking to drive the paint first and foremost. That's his strongest mode of attack. And because of this, I figured the defense set up to clamp the paint is the most appropriate method.

Clamping the paint doesn't mean immediately congesting the paint. The following 2 NBA gifs is essentially being a 5 out isolation play, the defenders are cheating towards the paint, but still aware of their assignments on the perimeter. Pistol stance ready to defend the perimeter but also ready to defend the paint. All the NBA defenders are almost straddling the edges of the paint rather than sticking to their man on the perimeter like how the above 2k18 footage has them positioned. Even straddling the paint area, they are in position to recover if necessary.

I was hoping to see more of this type of defense (cheating, anticipatory help defense) for 2k18.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-01-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #343
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
5 out isolation concerns; Cheese tactic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq_qI3mN71Y&app=desktop

@5:30 mark, looks like it was user vs user running 5 out isolation all the time. The only reason the defender clamp the paint was because the user switched defender, but other than that all the teammates stayed home at the perimeter. If you also take notice of the original defender that the user controlled decided to go back out and guard the perimeter at the very end. This just seems like a strict programmed situation rather than defenders "reading and reacting" to the situation at hand.

If 2k18 has supposedly removed the "sticky-ness" of on ball defenders, wouldn't this be a cheese tactic? This is why I was so concerned about Da_Czar offensive blog regarding isolation.

"Isolation (Iso vs poor; Iso vs average; Iso vs good; Iso vs elite). This is a subtle layer of sophistication that enables scorers to be more aggressive and increase their touches even for plays that were not initially ran for them.

Don’t be surprised to see the top scorers in the league wave off a play because they like their chances of scoring against their current match-up.

We also use this to run a check for non-isolation players, who may have a decided post-up advantage, and allow them to break a play to go beast mode on their matchup."

When I think about defending the isolation play, I'm thinking the ball handler is looking to drive the paint first and foremost. That's his strongest mode of attack. And because of this, I figured the defense set up to clamp the paint is the most appropriate method.

Clamping the paint doesn't mean immediately congesting the paint. The following 2 NBA gifs is essentially being a 5 out isolation play, the defenders are cheating towards the paint, but still aware of their assignments on the perimeter. Pistol stance ready to defend the perimeter but also ready to defend the paint. All the NBA defenders are almost straddling the edges of the paint rather than sticking to their man on the perimeter like how the above 2k18 footage has them positioned. Even straddling the paint area, they are in position to recover if necessary.

I was hoping to see more of this type of defense (cheating, anticipatory help defense) for 2k18.

This is needed. I was Ersan Ilyasova and I guarded Durant three feet past the three point line. I stuck to him like glue. In real life, I saw this play out as a Hawk fan. It ALWAYS resulted in an easy bucket for Durant.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #344
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Dear god in heaven.

After reading the MyLeague blogs, the AI blogs........2K18 is going to be in my PS4 Pro.....lord.

Console Sports Simulation standard is being unleashed!!!!

And they have the 96-97 Heat.......SOLD!!!!!!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »