Home

Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

This is a discussion on Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

OVR: 0
Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

The game this year is again trending towards "open shot = shot goes in" regardless of the rating of the shooter. So many times you intentionally sag off someone like a Shaq or similar non-shooter, and they will make a jumper anyway just because of the boost they get for "openness".

It's the same issue as last year where players get their jumpshot timing down and outperform the scope of what they should be able to do, while against the AI on higher difficulties it happens way too often as well.

It's also once again led to Sharpshooter builds in Pro Am / Park being able to hit 80 to 90% of their open 3's... I thought there was a consensus that it should max out at something like 60% (which is still far higher than the best NBA shooters of all time have ever hit from 3)?

But again, for the third year in a row, it's run left and right with a sharpshooter behind a screen and jack up long range shots, a.k.a the least skilled gameplay that exists in 2K, while bigs with ratings in the 60s can also hit far too high a percentage as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Rookie

Maligx's Arena

Re: Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

Yup my ss not even any hof badges was shooting lights out (like 6/8 or 8/9) in walkon multiple games and my buddy was matched against a slasher/playmaker who he sagged off of and was hitting 3s consistently even at the wings.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I routinely am hitting 3's with Evan Turner just because he's open but will miss a grip of 3's with Lillard.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
I routinely am hitting 3's with Evan Turner just because he's open but will miss a grip of 3's with Lillard.
Yeah and it's behaviour like this that makes players feel homogeneous and lack individuality... If every player can just hit all their open shots then there is such a reduced level of strategy it becomes boring and repetitive.

A couple of games I thought I would set defensive settings to "gap" on Derrick Rose or Ben Simmons, but it's been pointless as they just go 4/5 from the 3 point line anyway.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 20

and here i thought you guys were all creaming how great gameplay was this year, yet every other thread is whining about something
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Rookie

ezsmilez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
Yeah and it's behaviour like this that makes players feel homogeneous and lack individuality... If every player can just hit all their open shots then there is such a reduced level of strategy it becomes boring and repetitive.

A couple of games I thought I would set defensive settings to "gap" on Derrick Rose or Ben Simmons, but it's been pointless as they just go 4/5 from the 3 point line anyway.

Since I typically play only PNO or offline on superstar difficulty I’m only speaking from this point of view. I really haven’t seen the likes of Simmons or D Rose go off from the 3 point line. I normally hold my opponents offline and online to roughly 40% a lot of the times lower than that.

I definitely get the frustration when non shooters are continuously knocking down shots in the same game, but once in a while I don’t really see an issue.

Not making light of your frustration, just not something I experience

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezsmilez
Since I typically play only PNO or offline on superstar difficulty I’m only speaking from this point of view. I really haven’t seen the likes of Simmons or D Rose go off from the 3 point line. I normally hold my opponents offline and online to roughly 40% a lot of the times lower than that.

I definitely get the frustration when non shooters are continuously knocking down shots in the same game, but once in a while I don’t really see an issue.

Not making light of your frustration, just not something I experience
In your opinion, does Superstar play a better and/or more realistic game than Hall of Fame? I had Clyde Drexler drop 68 on me today and it has me re-thinking this whole Hall of Fame difficulty level thing.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
Rookie

ezsmilez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
In your opinion, does Superstar play a better and/or more realistic game than Hall of Fame? I had Clyde Drexler drop 68 on me today and it has me re-thinking this whole Hall of Fame difficulty level thing.

Haven’t tried HOF this year since I play mostly online I keep the difficulty the same. I will say that the game definitely feels easier than in past 2ks to stop the cpu.

How many shots did he get up to score 68!?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »