Home

NBA 2K19 Art Feedback

This is a discussion on NBA 2K19 Art Feedback within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #25
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NBA 2K19 Art Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I don't think you realize how much work the good modders put in. It's far more than just slapping a high res face over the texture.

These guys are also changing the shape of the head, hair, fixing glitches with guys wearing headbands, adding muscle definition to players' bodies, fixing out of proportion bodies, basically everything we want 2k to do. They are doing 3D modeling. For free, in their spare time.

If it was as simple as overlaying a picture, we should be even more upset that some of the scans are so bad by default. Console constraints should have no bearing on the face textures. Body sizes and types, maybe, but not faces.
Could've sworn i mentioned them changing certain things, but all of them don't have that skill.

As far as textures and lighting complaints.

Textures, lighting and other visual FX do take up a lot resources like memory and processing power. As powerful as the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are, they still are no match for a high end PC.

Why do you think all games get downgraded from their earlier form after being shown at E3? It's because they're being displayed on high end work station PC's that can handle those details at somewhat stable frame rates.

Most games are optimized for console not PC even though they are developed on PC. Most console games aim to run at 60 fps, but the better looking more demanding games only run at 30fps.

Look at how good God Of War and Uncharted look, there's still low res textures all over the place and they don't run at 60fps constantly even in performance mode.

Modern First Person Shooters games only run at 30 fps on console and struggle running at 60 on half decent PC's.

As to the editing of other graphical assets,
the modders are doing half the work and probably have more time to do it. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes in the art department at Virtual Concepts.

How much time and pay would it take to pefectly 3D replicate each and every NBA player? I'm sure they have a budget to stick to.

But anyway I'm just trying to think logically about these things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #26
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmalkovich
where does Michael porter jr.'s 3d model exist in 2k18?
A created player that they edit a new face for in photoshop and 3D software they sculpt the head or body, also other textures like hair.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

I agree, 2k needs an entire new art team at this point...the current guys just don’t pay enough attention to detail...not only are the courts and accessories bad but the cinematic lighting just makes the game look dull and cartoonish
Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
I agree, 2k needs an entire new art team at this point...the current guys just don’t pay enough attention to detail...not only are the courts and accessories bad but the cinematic lighting just makes the game look dull and cartoonish
I would agree that it does look a bit cartoonish for being in 2018, especially compared to other sports games. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the player scans look great, but I feel like the textures and lighting are not up to par.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaVsFaN2273
I would agree that it does look a bit cartoonish for being in 2018, especially compared to other sports games. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the player scans look great, but I feel like the textures and lighting are not up to par.
Yeah skin textures are another thing that make it look cartoonish. I freakin hate the clayish look of the player models lol. Feel like they had it nailed in 2k14 tho
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #30
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
A created player that they edit a new face for in photoshop and 3D software they sculpt the head or body, also other textures like hair.

I....... don't think you know what you're talking.

so basically you're saying something like this is just a piece of cake?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #31
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmalkovich
I....... don't think you know what you're talking.

so you're saying something like this is just a piece of cake?
You must not read because i never said it was easy. I do know what time talking about because i did a few faces back around 2K12. I would show you but i doubt i remember my NLSC login or that those files still exist.

They create a player in the game itself. Name, height, weight etc...

They then open the game files and copy files for the face texture and 3D models.

They open and edit these files in photoshop and blender.

They overwrite the current files with the newly edited ones.

They aren't actually adding a whole new body into the game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #32
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
You must not read because i never said it was easy. I do know what time talking about because i did a few faces back around 2K12. I would show you but i doubt i remember my NLSC login or that those files still exist.

They create a player in the game itself. Name, height, weight etc...

They then open the game files and copy files for the face texture and 3D models.

They open and edit these files in photoshop and blender.

They overwrite the current files with the newly edited ones.

They aren't actually adding a whole new body into the game.

2k scans real players. that's not "from scratch" either.

in fact, modders don't have any scan data to begin with to make someone like MPJ.

Last edited by sudanmalkovich; 08-08-2018 at 06:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »