Home

VC in 2k19

This is a discussion on VC in 2k19 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: VC in 2k19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmooove32
Unfortunately I think we are at the point of no return. Take-Two Interactive knows that VC and micro transactions in general are a big portion of their revenue.
Agreed, that is why the time requirement to be able to grind a player has become increasingly more demanding since the introduction of VC, designed to engineer an increasing demand for, and reliance upon, purchased VC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
Why the heck are they making this NBA basketball game similar to MMO rpg games?
Also, even if it takes me weeks or months to max out an MMO character,it is maxed out permanently. I don't have to start over at level 1 and max the character out again every 12 months.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
The irony is that without the pressure, I would probably play the game in dedicated fashion much longer than I have the past few entries nor would I be as annoyed with the omnipresence of VC.

Plus you could actually enjoy experimenting with different builds since you wouldn't have to make a major investment of time or (virtual) resources.
EXACTLY. 2K not seeing the big picture. You get MORE players and participation with less grind, 'cause they start -- idk ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME -- rather than "playing to grind". I have tons of good players on my friends list - guys I'd take over plenty of players - who don't play pro-am anymore because it takes too long to rank up. The entire system has been corrupted by VC. I swear if 2K19 continues the greed-trend, 2K will start get worse and worse backlash from the fans.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
They wouldn't have to.

That would be the beauty of separating the modes (because they really are two different modes). Keep everything as-is online. VC sales would remain as high as they are because I doubt anyone is buying virtual currency to dominate the CPU in MyCareer. It's all Park/Pro-Am related.

Offline doesn't need to suffer nonsensical storylines with bottomed out characters, hell, an argument could even be made that offline doesn't need the archetypes if you really think about it -- all in attempt at "competitive balance", and optimized monetization online.

VC itself is going nowhere, but I don't see why offline players have to deal with the system created for it.

Never gonna happen 'cause 2K wants to eventually convert offliners into online, or keep them apart of the VC trap.

Old, but hilarious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtIY1Naxg0M
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #68
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

What can be done except not buying VC, trying to get the message out online, and maybe hope some youtubers start talking about it as well? I played less last year than any other because I put VC and time into a crappy build and couldn't do another build because I have other games I like plus responsibilities. If I have to grind this long it's going to be pointless and I'll have to drop 2K. FIFA allows me to play and have an easy grind, considering getting NHL as well bc I was told there's nothing crazy like this 2K.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 08-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #69
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith01
EXACTLY. 2K not seeing the big picture. You get MORE players and participation with less grind, 'cause they start -- idk ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME -- rather than "playing to grind". I have tons of good players on my friends list - guys I'd take over plenty of players - who don't play pro-am anymore because it takes too long to rank up. The entire system has been corrupted by VC. I swear if 2K19 continues the greed-trend, 2K will start get worse and worse backlash from the fans.
Same. I have people who I used to run leagues with in the late 2000s and they quit buying the game when online leagues became awful and the P2W mode known as MyCareer became a much more prominent feature in the game. But the difference between me and them is they play a bunch of other games, and a lot of my gaming nowadays is just sports because I'm too lazy and don't have the energy to do much else when I'm chilling.

Now that online leagues are back (hopefully) they might jump back in. I've said this a bunch but they should at least have a mode like the combine from 2k19 where you can jump in and play 5v5 without having to grind. Would they really lose out on $$$ by having more inclusion? People are still going to want to make their OP players anyways. IMO that stuff is more organized anyways. Walk on is a bad experience when you got too many little or big guys on one team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
What can be done except not buying VC, trying to get the message out online, and maybe hope some youtubers start talking about it as well? I played less last year than any other because I put VC and time into a crappy build and couldn't do another build because I have other games I like plus responsibilities. If I have to grind this long it's going to be pointless and I'll have to drop 2K. FIFA allows me to play and have an easy grind, considering getting NHL as well bc I was told there's nothing crazy like this 2K.
If last year didn't move the needle I'm not sure what will lol. We can only hope it's not significantly crazier

You should get NHL. That's the other game me and my boys are going to run with this year on those nights we want to throw basketball games in the trash can.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #70
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
I would argue you the Lakers #2 pick Lonzo Ball. 10ppg, 36% fg%, 30% 3pt%, 6reb, 7assists.

If you look at so many of the today's top players, Kawhi, Giannis, Jimmy Butler... and their rookie years to where they are today, that's absolutely doable and consistent with how your MyPlayer will progress.

The issue, though, is that your player not only is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of skill, but also athleticism.

I don't think anyone expects to start out as a superstar. I can deal with needing to work at improving my handles and jumper, and having to grind a little to get better at finishing through contact.

But when I can't even run faster as an athletic PG than someone like Zaza Pachulia, or when calling an isolation against Channing Frye on the perimeter isn't a mismatch because he can keep up with me, that's not realistic.

Not to mention the lack of ability to even call basic plays like an isolation if you're not the PG, which prevents you from even taking advantage of those potential mismatches.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #71
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
The issue, though, is that your player not only is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of skill, but also athleticism.

I don't think anyone expects to start out as a superstar. I can deal with needing to work at improving my handles and jumper, and having to grind a little to get better at finishing through contact.

But when I can't even run faster as an athletic PG than someone like Zaza Pachulia, or when calling an isolation against Channing Frye on the perimeter isn't a mismatch because he can keep up with me, that's not realistic.

Not to mention the lack of ability to even call basic plays like an isolation if you're not the PG, which prevents you from even taking advantage of those potential mismatches.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Wanna know something? Everything you just described is what I used to do back in the 360 days when hex editing was the craze.

I used to create a 6'8'' SF, boost all of his athleticism ratings to make him a good athlete, maybe even an elite athlete, set all shooting attributes to slightly below average with 3s being lowest, decent to above average handles, dunking was up there but layups were about average, give him a cyberface from a low rated player in FA (who I would bottom out before I started the mode)

Then I would change the value that turned on 'play initiator' so he could sometimes bring the ball up - and building that character was my grind. All he could really do was run, jump, and dunk at a good clip. Skill was developed as I played the mode, and it was a blast. Had to play it purely offline and I wasn't even close to caring.

Good times man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think the complainers are missing the boat, not 2K.

A 'single-player' experience like MyCareer is only fun if you start out lower and have something to work towards. That means grinding and skill ups. VC is no different than in-game currency in any other game like gold in a basic rpg - other than that you can buy it. If they're honest, that's the only thing that people take issue with. It's a psychological barrier where people can't cope with a company taking real money for fake currency.

But arguing against virtual currency in an explicitly RPG mode? That argument was lost decades ago in gaming.

Want to be awesome right away? Start a MyLeague and shoot a bunch of 3s with Steph Curry. Nothing crippled about that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »