Home

Rec center starting to feel like they ruined the mode

This is a discussion on Rec center starting to feel like they ruined the mode within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Rec center starting to feel like they ruined the mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
Don't reduce the 5 player minimum. The reason 2k18 walk on was so boring/bad was because every game was 3v3 with 2 bots. That's awful.
Yeah but honestly sometimes it was nice playing with the AI as opposed to with cancerous shot chucking teammates.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
Don't reduce the 5 player minimum. The reason 2k18 walk on was so boring/bad was because every game was 3v3 with 2 bots. That's awful.
There needs to at least be a choice. I'd rather play with 2 bots than not play at all.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #19
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirG
The people that go to rec as squad of 5 are just weak babies who are scared of competition and would rather beat 5 randoms by 20 every game.

Hence their record would be something like 50-20 but probably 15 or more of those losses came because they actually had to face another squad of 5 so they couldn't take advantage of playing vs randoms.

Take your *** to team pro am don't be scared.
What a silly and conceited argument. Maybe it's because people don't want to play against the same 5 out offense EVERY SINGLE GAME? Team pro am highlights every single problem with the game ten fold. Yeah, there's nothing I want to do more than play against 5 out with sharps that can hit from the coach's box hashes. Going by your post history of your pro am lineup, that's exactly what you do too. 4 sharps and a glass. Just because you willingly subject yourself to that nonsense cheese meta that has plagued the game for the last 3 years, doesn't mean that other people want to. Your entire post history reeks of the 1v1mebro mentality that has caused the online community to turn into literal cancer.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #20
Rookie

Rec is fine not perfect but OK.

Steal Spam has been addressed I can assure.

The real thing now is even with the buff to post builds 3pt builds are dominating the game. They are efficient to the point of rendering inside builds useless. I don't think inside needs to be buffed as I think most of the play there is logical. It's the outside where the game is too lenient for our player base.

Shooting is the easiest, fastest, most customizable(being able to choose specific animations) and most responsive skill in 2K and it shows. With Deadeye BUFFED(!) from 2K18
https://twitter.com/CHoops4Life/stat...41396727042048

it is just almost stupid to not have a shooting build.

I don't think the fix is to remove the green window feature they added(I think it is actually a skill feature depending how they implement it) but to reduce global perimeter percentages(or tone down Deadeye badges). If the best guys were shooting even just 60% from 3 then slashing builds might be more viable.

2 * 100% 2 ppp
3* 70% 2.10 ppp

Everyone knows the Rec meta. Come down court have 3 people set screen for the PG and then run wraps. That means the community is knowledgable at making their own shot, getting open and on-ball screens.

We should be devaluing these abilities and focus on the things the community SUCKS at doing (space the floor with non-offball builds, set off-ball screens, boxout, making the release valve pass, making a post entry pass, utilizing the bump and chuck etc.)

https://www.twitch.tv/orlandotill

Protesting PNO
MTU

PSN: OrlandoTill

Last edited by OrlandoTill; 10-02-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #21
Pro

Iasounis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirG
The people that go to rec as squad of 5 are just weak babies who are scared of competition and would rather beat 5 randoms by 20 every game.

Hence their record would be something like 50-20 but probably 15 or more of those losses came because they actually had to face another squad of 5 so they couldn't take advantage of playing vs randoms.

Take your *** to team pro am don't be scared.
Nope...

I'd be happy to play with randoms at the Rec. Just takes too long to get matched up. Played a TON of walk on with randoms last year (another poster in this thread can confirm), and would do the same if I didn't have to enter, wait a couple of minutes just for the opportunity to leave, and then repeat the process until I'm 'gifted' a game.

The reason the Rec is populated with squads is because of 2k's matchmaking and/or the fact that certain positions are scarce among the community.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
Look, walk on Pro Am was far from perfect. It's usually not high quality game play. But it was the best way if you wanted to play actual 5 on 5 and didn't have the time to schedule team pro-am games.

I'm starting to feel like the mode has been ruined for this year, for the following reasons:

1) 5 player requirement: As others have mentioned, the 5 player requirement means that unless you play a big, you are likely waiting 10+ minutes to get into a game.

2) Steal spam: I actually LIKE the fact that you have to be careful with your passes, for the most part. But it doesn't translate well to rec, where teams of players don't know each other and their tendencies. There's too much unpredictability to make the ball so easy to steal. It also means that by default, people resort to just passing around the perimeter rather than risk passing inside, meaning bigs get completely freezed out.

3) Ineffective inside play: The bricking of open or near-open layups is well documented. In addition, post moves are glacially slow, allowing for easy double teaming or easy stonewalling, even by mediocre defenders. Because passing is so dangerous due to #2, this often results in a bad shot or turnover rather than an effective kickout. This, along with #2, results in the ball sitting on the perimeter and players jacking 3s all night long.

4) Transition over-effectiveness: This is a result of two things, first, full court passes are way easier than last year (as long as they don't go near a defender), really encouraging long bomb fast breaks. Also, in an effort to show real differentiation in player speed, its routine to see 1 or 2 guards sitting in the corner mere moments after a defensive rebound, ready for that full court pass to drill an uncontested 3.

Notice I didn't complain about the 3 point shooting? I don't think its actually much worse than last year. Its just that players default to this as the only method of scoring more than anything else.

I feel like these problems could all be solved, if 2K cares.

1) Remove the 5 player minimum. It's just too hard to get a game if you want to play a guard/wing.
2) Reduce the effectiveness of interior D on standing layups with high ratings, and speed the animations slightly on spins/drop steps, etc, especially at higher badge levels (we know they have better animations, you get them in takeover).
3) Bring back the annoying but needed unreliability of deep passing from last year. We all hated it, but the alternative is worse. Or, make deep passes slower and easier to pick off.
4) Players with higher pass ratings should put more zip on the ball, making it harder to time. Passes in the halfcourt often seem leisurely and are easily picked off. Put more arc on the overhead pass (which often I can't tell any difference between it an a regular one).
honestly, they keep you waiting because they want you to take a LONG time to get that VC, but they know you'll want to get it quicker by...
Old 10-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Squads shouldn't be allowed in the rec center IMO.

Go to team pro am or the park if you have a squad.

Keep the rec center for solo player matchmaking only.

And 2K shouldn't start the game until all 10 player spots are filled with humans. If I wanted to play against the AI I'd go play MyCareer. There shouldn't be any AI on the court in rec center or team pro am games.

To keep the rec/pro am environment full of human players at all times, the penalties for quitting out of a game mid-match also need to be much harsher.

At the very least, 2K should be matching up all of the frequent quitters with each other, and matching up people who don't quit games with each other. Surely that's a stat they can track and matchmake from?

Last edited by jyoung; 10-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie
I’d like to know your magical way to score inside effectively because it’s certainly not from standing layups, putbacks or off-ball cuts. The only ways I’ve discovered are fast break dunks, alley oops or driving with the ball from near the perimeter. The last only works if your defender gaps you enough so you can launch into a posterizer animation or if he just flat out blows his coverage. I’ve played over 150 games of Rec and I haven’t seen anyone score inside effectively or efficiently unless they take very few shots, leak out regularly or have a poor defender covering them.
Dude my center can score pretty much at will anytime im inside. Its just a matter if my teammates give me the ball. Which usually, they dont. The point guards ive played with cant make a simple pass for sh** they rather keep passing perimeter because they are scared the ball will get stolen. Also on the other hand, every point guard i played with is trash and never plays defense. Its always, ‘bring the ball up’ - TURNOVER... repeat all throughout the game. These point guards finish the game with 1 assist the entire game!!!! I always call these garbage *** players out because they cant playmake, create offense for sh**. Last night some team we played against 2x in a row, the point guard scored about 85 points combined in those 2 games because the point guard on my team just didnt play defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »