Home

#SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project

This is a discussion on #SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #129
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: #SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project

Reminder that multiple points of gameplay need to be moved so the issues with long passing/transition defense is resolved. Its been 3 years...that's too long--its time for a Heavy Hand here.

1. Defenders need to get back facing the ball like they do in reality and react to it like did Schroder did here. This should be the norm. No offensive player passes the ball at a defender expecting him not to react--this is videogame-only behavior.

2. Defenders have to get back in the same lanes as their "covers". So many issues arise because they get back nowhere in the vicinity of the person they're defending--breaking the defense when the ball is advanced. See Simmons, he's the 1st back and defending Morris here but is completely on the other side of the court. The result is a wide open shot:

The speed of long passes needs to slow over distance. This will help resolve the issue but make sure the right passes are unaffected.

3. Long Passes need a 50% turnover outcome. AGAIN: A Heavy Hand.

This is just one example of many. Here Butler and Chandler are facing the ball but never react. They concede the catch--this kind of thing can't happen in 2K20. At worst these have to be deflections out of bounds. Neither can the blind steal spam that occurs after the block:

Here's a still image of the pass mid-air for perspective on how bad the transition defense is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not reacting to ball.jpg (144.4 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-24-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #130
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

No amount of improvements made to the defense in the future will matter as long as offenses can do THIS:

Defenders should get back in transition facing the ball like in the image below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg defense facing ball.jpg (176.5 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #131
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0

^ Definitely agree with the above post. It honestly still baffles me how this game even made it to the competitive scene.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #132
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

After Transition, PNR Defense and Steal Spam (and Block Timing) Direct Passing into the Paint is probably the biggest gameplay legacy issue still remaining. There has to be a shift here....its been an issue for too long.

The devs tried to address it by adding THIS "post push" animation--and I applaud their effort--but it simply isn't enough.

What we really need is to stop the passes (and not by beefing up steals--those are broken enough ) because the ease of passing the ball to a spot point-blank at the basket can't continue. Deflections out of bounds are the solution here--similar to how contact shots were used to lower FG% instead of using blocks. These passes should be the lowest percentage play in the game.

Deflections out of bounds fix this issue in the most "basketball" method. I went more into depth and blogged about it here: http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2019/01/ad...sing.html#more

Last edited by Kushmir; 05-22-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 PM   #133
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

I had an idea but i don't see a 2k20 wish list so i came back to this thread.

I want to see more emphasis on players who have a good ability to "mesh" with other players vs players who are more individual focused. I.e. maybe a new attribute or badge called "harmony" or something. Example: Malcolm Brogdon has an IQ and perspective of the game that allows him to see the game from a 5vs5 scope. He glues in with any team because of this, and it positively affects winning. Whereas say someone like Dennis Smith is an amazing individual talent but he doesn't gel with players easily because his basketball team harmony ability is not high, and it affects team results.

If everybody on the team has a high harmony rating then their CHEMISTRY is amazing, ball movement is well oiled and polished, crisp. Please introduce this element into the game. It has always been the secret sauce of a good NBA team.

If a new attribute is too much to ask then maybe a badge that improves his teammate's Shot IQ and Hands or something. And maybe passing IQ too.

Last edited by Barncore; 02-18-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:47 PM   #134
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I absolutely have played basketball and quite a bit of it.
Have you?
If you know anything about basketball you would know that it’s a non-contact sport. Meaning, you are not allowed to make contact with the opposing team or a foul will be called.
In recent years they have changed the label from non-contact to limited contact, meaning some contact, such as bodying up someone in the post or crowding a ball handler, is allowed, but contact still draws fouls. Limited contact is allowed but excessive contact is a foul.
So stop reading all you like, but just because you choose to not read doesn’t change the facts or the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Also, should have stopped reading at “basketball is a non-contact sport.”
That is ridiculous and just wrong. I played hs and college ball. I also officiate hs and college ball and one of the main tenets of the game is that it is a contact sport. We literally train newer officials of this fact, as well as reminding coaches usually when the contact is marginal and they are looking for a call. Additionally, NBA basketball is widely known by those of us who actually study the game and have to apply these rules as officials that NBA basketball is extremely physical. At least half of the screens set in the NBA would be team control fouls at the lower levels. Point being that the NBA is an especially bad league to make this notion.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #135
Rookie

#SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project

1. Auto shoe color randomization before each game and auto shoe type randomization for those who are not under contract for a specific shoe company. This could be set to options such as changes always, often, sometimes, rarely or never, much like the accessories.

2. Please stop the throwing away of outlet passes to a releasing teammate. If a defender contests on a perimeter shot, it misses and the defense rebounds we should not be punished with a throw pass out of bounds 90% of the time. This has shown to be a constant for this gen of the game where you reward bad shot selection with not having to pay the price of what this type of offense leads to.

3. Fix the short length of which players wear these days or give the option of the length desired.

4. Fix the leg to torso ratio. It’s an eyesore which also makes the accessories not look as they do on the players in real life.

5. Please sync the jerseys worn to the real life jersey schedule for all modes.

6. Shoe and accessory updates automatically update to myleague/mygm.

7. I know it’s been said ad nauseam, but better, more realistic basketball spacing on fast breaks.

8. Pregame shoot around.

9. I think the game was relatively perfect aside from every defender picking up at half court and the cpu hardly ever missing an open three. The risk of passing the ball into passing lanes and having to actually make sure there wasn’t a defender there was beautiful. Of course, I play offline and with that I’ll close with if you can separate the two worlds (online and offline) somehow that would be greatly appreciated. We’re trying to play basketball and I can’t speak as to what they are shooting for, but it’s definitely not realistic basketball.

Last edited by lossanthon; 05-01-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #136
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossanthon
Also, should have stopped reading at “basketball is a non-contact sport.”
That is ridiculous and just wrong. I played hs and college ball. I also officiate hs and college ball and one of the main tenets of the game is that it is a contact sport. We literally train newer officials of this fact, as well as reminding coaches usually when the contact is marginal and they are looking for a call. Additionally, NBA basketball is widely known by those of us who actually study the game and have to apply these rules as officials that NBA basketball is extremely physical. At least half of the screens set in the NBA would be team control fouls at the lower levels. Point being that the NBA is an especially bad league to make this notion.

There could have been a recent change in definitions. In my mind, basketball is a non-contact sport when compared to football, wrestling, boxing, martial arts, etc.

I see where you're coming from, but basketball wasn't a sport where I had to do something to the player. My objective was always the ball. Not body tackle the player. I don't know how to describe it personally, but calling it a "limited-contact" sport makes more sense to me than calling it a contact sport.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »