Home

Most of my friends aren't even playing this game anymore.

This is a discussion on Most of my friends aren't even playing this game anymore. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Most of my friends aren't even playing this game anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTill
Basketball games are still interesting(that's why 2K went after Playgrounds)

2K and the NBA product isn't.

Steph Curry while entertaining himself made the most passive uninteresting part of basketball the forefront and the meta(Shooting, or Spot Up Shooting) and it is killing basketball.

By Steph Curry being a recent cover athlete and by fans knowing shooting is paramount 2K goes over the top with the green mechanic because it isn't responsive or engaging for users to miss(fans are to blame for this as well).

With shooting being as easy as it is in the games primary mode MyCareer the excitement rating of doing Steph Curry things falls and the fact that other things take more skill and are harder to do only makes the game boring as it promotes repetitive gamplay.

Couple that with the rising media environment where we can share the same experiences faster(including the awful flaws, cheesy attributes and the same tactics/builds ad nasueam).

Couple that with the hiatus of Live
By Live being so far behind industry standards that the game is on sale as we speak, 2K despite innovating in its field with a 2KLeague, Neighborhood and a dedicated TV show is suffering the same fall as Madden is putting out mild games compared to the jumps we saw in 2K9, 2K11 and 2K12.

This also means Live has to catch up to the normal standards 2K has set up(I would say they are 2-3 2K iterations behind), meaning both games aren't putting their best effort(technically they are putting their best effort but you KNOW what I mean).

2K is straight whooping the other game and they didn't even need to get the other basketball license

Simulation basketball is in an era of decadence and I'm not sure we will ever get the feeling of greatness we did in October 2010 until Live surpasses 2K.

Yes Live will need to surpass 2K because only that will make 2K change or get monumentally better(2K is too huge to fail commercially in my opinion).
Good analysis, I agree on all points.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Assuming your just speaking in general? You still haven't played 2K19 right?

As far as people playing...2K is steady at the top of this list on a nightly basis, right after the big time shooters. Some nights 2K18 isn't that far down the list, lol.

Attachment 156789

No mass exodus yet.
9k people streaming fortnite, 3k people streaming blops 4 and only 400people streaming 2k.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
9k people streaming fortnite, 3k people streaming blops 4 and only 400people streaming 2k.
Right. A basketball video game is in 3rd after two of the biggest shooters on the market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTill
Basketball games are still interesting(that's why 2K went after Playgrounds)

2K and the NBA product isn't.

Steph Curry while entertaining himself made the most passive uninteresting part of basketball the forefront and the meta(Shooting, or Spot Up Shooting) and it is killing basketball.

By Steph Curry being a recent cover athlete and by fans knowing shooting is paramount 2K goes over the top with the green mechanic because it isn't responsive or engaging for users to miss(fans are to blame for this as well).

With shooting being as easy as it is in the games primary mode MyCareer the excitement rating of doing Steph Curry things falls and the fact that other things take more skill and are harder to do only makes the game boring as it promotes repetitive gamplay.

Couple that with the rising media environment where we can share the same experiences faster(including the awful flaws, cheesy attributes and the same tactics/builds ad nasueam).

Couple that with the hiatus of Live
By Live being so far behind industry standards that the game is on sale as we speak, 2K despite innovating in its field with a 2KLeague, Neighborhood and a dedicated TV show is suffering the same fall as Madden is putting out mild games compared to the jumps we saw in 2K9, 2K11 and 2K12.

This also means Live has to catch up to the normal standards 2K has set up(I would say they are 2-3 2K iterations behind), meaning both games aren't putting their best effort(technically they are putting their best effort but you KNOW what I mean).

2K is straight whooping the other game and they didn't even need to get the other basketball license

Simulation basketball is in an era of decadence and I'm not sure we will ever get the feeling of greatness we did in October 2010 until Live surpasses 2K.

Yes Live will need to surpass 2K because only that will make 2K change or get monumentally better(2K is too huge to fail commercially in my opinion).

It's generally a bad look to make never statements, and I would rather be pro live than 2k but I don't think live will ever control the market again. I would not be surprised if there was an under the table kind of gentleman's agreement between ea and 2k regarding sports titles.

But Yea Dat shooting. @24 nah you're right I didn't even play the demo, but many people who I know and ran with who had problems with 2k18 are also dissatisfied with it. I have seen zero evidence, and believe me I come here and look, that I would enjoy 2k19 or that it's a quality simulation of basketball. 2k has a way of making you feel like it's real w it's realistic animations then you're like augghhh (or I am) when you see the ugly truth of people gaming the system in a way I dunno that 2k can stop, because of how their game is designed.

As long as sharp Shooters are the prime scoring option, I'm not buying a 2k gm. That's just nonsense to me. Like I told my dude last year man we should all just roll sharps n kill people, nah just gonna quit. Haha.

-Smak
Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Right. A basketball video game is in 3rd after two of the biggest shooters on the market.
But that's literally 18x the amount of streamers for fortnite and that game is FREE!

This is a AAA title that we pay $60+ for and the image you showed just tells you how much people enjoy playing other games instead.

That's the problem with this year, it's just not fun for me.

Every year i make a slasher trying to dunk on people. That's fun to me. This year the mechanics are so terrible for driving that unless it's a driving layup you're not finishing consistently. So i haven't made a slasher at all this year. I blame Thrustie mainly LMFAO. That guy has posted so much evidence it's undeniable this game hates athleticism. I've thrown so many alley oops out of bounds or over my players head this year with a 99 passing and gold lob city. To Blake Griffin and Andre Drummond no less. That's gold passer on gold finisher, why would i throw it over his head or low where the cpu can just grab it?

There's no diversity. You can either shoot or driving layup. Oh, and play body up defense with bigs on guards or non-defending wings.

Until the game recognizes mismatches properly offensive and defensive both, and finishing isn't a slap in the face, this game will continue to be boring.

Say what you want about 18 but i played that game 6-7 hours a day till the end of the cycle. Sure, i can admit that game had huge flaws. But it was still an option to play a finisher. These days there are ZERO wing slashers anymore and every big is a stretch.

I know you don't play MC modes that much, but how many times are we gonna see LeBron go for some soft layup in traffic instead of terrorizing smaller defenders and slower bigs with ferocious finishes like he has done his whole career?

Watch the CPU as LeBron. He posts up about 80% of the time. Lebron should have the most well rounded game out of anyone in history let alone this game.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
MVP

53 friends online currently. 3 of them I've never played 2k with, they're Elder Scrolls Online friends.

So out of 50 people that I've added over the years for 2k only, 16 of them are still playing 2k.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #15
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
But that's literally 18x the amount of streamers for fortnite and that game is FREE!

This is a AAA title that we pay $60+ for and the image you showed just tells you how much people enjoy playing other games instead.

That's the problem with this year, it's just not fun for me..
It's literally the 3rd most streamed game on PS4 right now. All the "other games people rather be playing" are under it other than 2. Again, 2 massively popular shooters who will always be more popular than sports games . There are 1000+ PS4 titles total.

I get that you're not enjoying the game.... I won't refute any of your personal feelings.i actually agree with some of your issues. We just don't have to use false narratives to bolster that point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #16
MVP

Do any of you (who are not enjoying the game) play myleague online?
Do you play myleague? Do you create any custom rostes or drafts?

or is this thread more for mycareer, park, pro am and myteam?

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »