Home

The Defense has to recover 50/50 balls...

This is a discussion on The Defense has to recover 50/50 balls... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The Defense has to recover 50/50 balls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
People want to believe so badly that the game is scripted despite Mike Wang posting almost every year that the game isn't... smh.
What would Mike Wang say? "Yes every now and then we bump/drop one teams sliders to artificially create or eliminate opportunities that wouldn't be there otherwise."

They would say its not scripted even if it was because why would you say something that will obviously make everyone mad? They would call it something else to avoid being labelled liars if it was to ever come out.

It's the artificial 'momentum'. I've played games where players would randomly be hot or cold. Just like someone else mentioned, there are times when you simply can not engage a CPU player because they are GOING to do what they've set out to do.
Prime Example: Putbacks

This was especially obvious in 2k18, still in 2k19. When A CPU big does a put back dunk or layup next time go to replay. Not sure if it's in mycareer but it's def in every other mode. Sometimes You will see the player that is about to do the put back animation basically frozen. In this state that lasts like 2 seconds They CAN NOT be boxed out and will be ignored by your cpu teammates. This frozen state happens As Soon as the shot goes up. They'll stand there with both arms low like they are waiting for a pass, then they will snap into the putback animation. Anytime I play with my brother we know when a shot is going to miss when one of the bigs are stuck. They will then jump up and they are getting the ball. simple.

Happens a lot on HOF in late games.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
People want to believe so badly that the game is scripted despite Mike Wang posting almost every year that the game isn't... smh.
Mike Wang has said so many things were in or out or fixed, updated, you name it...
You are right the game isn't scripted just nerfed.

Nerfed.
https://mobile.twitter.com/beluba/st...246913?lang=en

https://mobile.twitter.com/beluba/st...511297?lang=en

Last edited by keshunleon; 01-01-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #35
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

This stuff is frustrating in all modes but it’s especially frustrating in MC because it causes your teammate grade to take such a hit for giving up an O.Reb, an inside pass, defensive breakdown, or a bucket when it’s not your fault.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #36
Rookie

This is one of the biggest problems in 2k19 and I think it's tied to cpu hustle, defensive rebound and reaction time, all defensive stats. It's just that there's a lack of fight for loose ball animations in this case plus the missing logic. Also, defensive awareness one vs user offensive awareness. To break it down:

In my sliders I have hustle at 45 which is the lowest I'm willing to go not to hit cpu too hard in other situations. I didn't wanna nerf def rebounds for cpu, because those are tad op for user when you for ex. play "crash the board" in mygm/myleague and if you turn on some of that box out assist. Now this helps a bit, but the problem lies elswhere.

Main thing here is cpu reaction time stats which are coded into animation triggers. This needs code "if this situation then apply stun to cpu for 1 sec" for example, still there needs to be push off go for the ball animation that will sometimes result in loose ball foul on user, ball on the side - not the cheesy shooting foul cpu always pulls to compensate lack of FT shooting for cpu...

Another important thing here is the inconsustency in ball grab animations between using square and triangle buttons. Now as we know, if the ball is over head it's the triangle to use, if it's falling under it's square, but this logic is sometimes late to ball position parameter which causes akward or wrong animation to trigger. Maybe this can be remedied by exclusively having square as the grab ball/reach from the ground button that also triggers tip out animation if ball is up and barely reachable with hands from ground level and having timing for triangle button just like shot timing that would be for velocity and would trigger jump/block animations only. Triangle would be bit more formidable and make you use LS for arms/body positioning more when in air and square would be bit more ai driven.

There's a big need for more loose ball animations, tip out rebound animations/logic (guards reacting to tip-out) and steal animations thet need more logic towards where the arm goes once you press the button and if the off-arm needs to do action like slight push for position (which can sometimes result in a foul, with pretier animation than what we now have).

I think each arm movement needs to be coded into colision/ball control/ball security/hustle/rebound/steal engine similar to what is done for legs with that "foot plant" code and until then there will be these compromises on gameplay that hurt the game.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #37
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixEverything2k
What would Mike Wang say? "Yes every now and then we bump/drop one teams sliders to artificially create or eliminate opportunities that wouldn't be there otherwise."

They would say its not scripted even if it was because why would you say something that will obviously make everyone mad? They would call it something else to avoid being labelled liars if it was to ever come out.

It's the artificial 'momentum'. I've played games where players would randomly be hot or cold. Just like someone else mentioned, there are times when you simply can not engage a CPU player because they are GOING to do what they've set out to do.
Prime Example: Putbacks

This was especially obvious in 2k18, still in 2k19. When A CPU big does a put back dunk or layup next time go to replay. Not sure if it's in mycareer but it's def in every other mode. Sometimes You will see the player that is about to do the put back animation basically frozen. In this state that lasts like 2 seconds They CAN NOT be boxed out and will be ignored by your cpu teammates. This frozen state happens As Soon as the shot goes up. They'll stand there with both arms low like they are waiting for a pass, then they will snap into the putback animation. Anytime I play with my brother we know when a shot is going to miss when one of the bigs are stuck. They will then jump up and they are getting the ball. simple.

Happens a lot on HOF in late games.
Clearly, we define "scripted" differently. To me, scripted means that the game had a predetermined outcome long before the game started. Users are PRIMARILY in control whether or not they win/lose a game. Period. The game doesn't have a scheduled time where your players goes cold/hot to "allow" another team to make a comeback. Period.

What does happen on occasion is what I refer to as a "ratings/badge" outcome. To me, that means that the outcome was determined by the ratings/badges of the player over the CONTEXT of the situation. From a programming standpoint, the game is unable to create pure random occurrences. As much as we like to see.....

Player A is front of Player B, then Player A should get the defensive rebound.

It won't happen, because we're seeing...

Player A is in front of Player B, BUT Player B has Gold Hustle Rebounder, high offensive rebounding ratings, x height, and x wingspan therefore Player B has 95% probability of getting the rebound. If ball comes off the rim at x trajectory, then Player A will get the rebound.

Point blank, the game has too many things that favor the offensive side of the ball and other variables that basically "ignore" the context of what's happening on the court. I've been complaining about this for years. NBA 2K11 was strictly ratings....it was offensive rebound vs defensive rebounding ratings....or steal vs ball control ratings, etc. Depending on the ratings, the game gave a slight advantage to the higher rating, but context still mattered to a point.

However....don't blame Mike Wang for that. People have been wanting "items", so superstars will be superstars and role players will be role players. Well, we got badges. People wanted more "control" over their shot success in every situation. Well, we got the stupid shot meter. The list goes on and on and on. 2K Sports basically gave people what they wanted over the years, but NOW a certain subset of casual players are able to abuse the mechanics of the game where skill is no longer a factor, and it's all about the badges, boosts, ratings, and shot release.

Don't blame Mike Wang for delivering what this community wanted over the years. Blame the people who abuse what should have been good additions (in theory) to the game. In order to "fix" this game, would mean taking it back to its roots. Gameplay and ratings....not going to happen as long the casuals are giving Take Two record profits year after year after year.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #38
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishandime
This is one of the biggest problems in 2k19 and I think it's tied to cpu hustle, defensive rebound and reaction time, all defensive stats. It's just that there's a lack of fight for loose ball animations in this case plus the missing logic. Also, defensive awareness one vs user offensive awareness. To break it down:

In my sliders I have hustle at 45 which is the lowest I'm willing to go not to hit cpu too hard in other situations. I didn't wanna nerf def rebounds for cpu, because those are tad op for user when you for ex. play "crash the board" in mygm/myleague and if you turn on some of that box out assist. Now this helps a bit, but the problem lies elswhere.

Main thing here is cpu reaction time stats which are coded into animation triggers. This needs code "if this situation then apply stun to cpu for 1 sec" for example, still there needs to be push off go for the ball animation that will sometimes result in loose ball foul on user, ball on the side - not the cheesy shooting foul cpu always pulls to compensate lack of FT shooting for cpu...

Another important thing here is the inconsustency in ball grab animations between using square and triangle buttons. Now as we know, if the ball is over head it's the triangle to use, if it's falling under it's square, but this logic is sometimes late to ball position parameter which causes akward or wrong animation to trigger. Maybe this can be remedied by exclusively having square as the grab ball/reach from the ground button that also triggers tip out animation if ball is up and barely reachable with hands from ground level and having timing for triangle button just like shot timing that would be for velocity and would trigger jump/block animations only. Triangle would be bit more formidable and make you use LS for arms/body positioning more when in air and square would be bit more ai driven.

There's a big need for more loose ball animations, tip out rebound animations/logic (guards reacting to tip-out) and steal animations thet need more logic towards where the arm goes once you press the button and if the off-arm needs to do action like slight push for position (which can sometimes result in a foul, with pretier animation than what we now have).

I think each arm movement needs to be coded into colision/ball control/ball security/hustle/rebound/steal engine similar to what is done for legs with that "foot plant" code and until then there will be these compromises on gameplay that hurt the game.
I've been thinking about almost everything in this post for quite a while, especially about the "stun" or a "surprised" delay for the CPU to loose balls or other unexpected situations in the game, in order to mimic what actually happens to human beings. There should be variable delays based off of physical and mental abilities.

The thing that bothers me is that I know that the team must have thought of something like this a while back, but they just don't have the tech or AI in place to make it work correctly.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #39
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

I noticed around October that the AI was on some other **** when it came to the cheating this year. The AI cheats every year but this year was some in your face aggressive cheating. Borderline insulting to be quite honest.

I wouldn't dare play this game offline and deal with that CPU again.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 9

Wow, yeah it cheats but I've never seen it this bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »