Home

Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen)

This is a discussion on Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Rookie

smokines3's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Shooting in this game is insanely difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This is a lot better on next gen.

I'm assuming you're talking about current gen?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Is it really? How so?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #10
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokines3
Is it really? How so?
I've heard quite a few people say it's better on next gen but honestly it's still way too hard IMO.

I am also just an average 2k player so I'm sure that's the biggest issue.

I love the idea of shot aiming but I finally had to realize it's not for me. I tried to get the hang of it on last gen and really stuck with it in part to justify purchasing 2k21, because shot aiming is essentially all they added new.

I then used it next gen for the first few days but after going 1 for 22 in the fourth quarter I retired it.

I use shot timing now with a clean screen and no meter and it's extremely fun and rewarding.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistick
It seems like this happens every other year or so. One year, the game is a reasonable difficulty, or even too easy, and I can actually build a team around jump shooting and 3pt. shooting, and use it as a viable strategy. The next year (this year being one of them), shooting is insanely difficult and the shot meter is woefully unforgiving.

I acknowledge that I am not the best 2K player, hence I play against the CPU in MyLeague and run on Superstar difficulty. I also use my favorite team, the Orlando Magic, and attempt to rebuild them, so I know I am not using the best team.

But with guys like Evan Fournier, Terrence Ross, Nikola Vucevic, or even an Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, or Mo Bamba, I have some guys who can stretch the floor and shoot from beyond the arc. Most of those guys are 30%+ 3point shooters. But in NBA2K21? Less than 10%

I'm running plays designed to get them open and give them good looks, and in the last game I played, I went 2/22 from 3 point land.

I've gone into the freestyle practice mode to practice my 3 point shot, and in the freestyle mode I am hitting less than 10% of my 3 point shots.

That's absolutely ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason for that.

That doesn't even get into the insane catch up defense by the AI whenever I do make a move to get by them, and the way they shoot across the floor to get back in front of me. Or the running-in-mud fast breaks from my team, making a transition offense virtually impossible.

I don't mind losing. But the way the game is playing out this year isn't even fun. And I know that sliders are an option, but playing around for hours tweaking sliders is even less fun.

Ugh. Very frustrating year this year, and it's just getting started.

Unfortunately if you want to succeed in shooting you will have to adapt to the shot aiming mechanics. I’ve made it my mission to go into 2KU and use the shot aiming method because I feel you have a much better success rate with it and it’s true. At first it’s hard and feels impossible but with practice it gets much better
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokines3
Is it really? How so?
I feel like there's a lot more leeway on releases, rather it be aiming or timing....not to mention CPU contests are a lot more realistic. I play with a clean screen and still shoot pretty well with random teams.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Is their still real % shooting I think it is called in next gen?
Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #14
Pro

kolanji's Arena

OVR: 19

OP is right.. the ability to make shots is heavily weighted on timing and or aiming ...slight variations from green is met with way more misses than makes even when the room for error is minuscule

i feel like the stick adds a tad bit more delay vs using the button for shooting

the modification this time around with timing shooting I must admit is better off that the original implemented version, so kudos to Beluba for reassessing and reimplimenting

so for me what gives the best results right now is shooting with the button with no indicators on...its much more forgiving and makes dont seems as heavily waited or penalized by timing

as as per usual I give and idea to how to improve so here goes:
• both sticks should be used to get shots off instead of just the right analog stick.
the right one should be used to determine gather and the left one simultaneously for aiming ...as is its bit cumbersome to used just 1 stick for what could be much separated into 2

we already used both sticks to shoot in every shooter as is..would be intuitive and familiar at the same time and make shooting a much better experience

Last edited by kolanji; 11-26-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #15
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This is a lot better on next gen.

I'm assuming you're talking about current gen?

Yes, current gen. I haven't been able to get the new X-Box yet. But I got the Mamba Edition on current gen so when I do upgrade, I can get loaded into the next gen. I'm *hoping* to snag one tomorrow, but we know how that goes lol

But it is re-assuring to hear that things are better next gen. I have something to look forward to.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

As an update, I lowered the difficulty down to All-Star. My shooting was more realistic. I shot something like 36% I think from 3.

But I ended up blowing out the AI by nearly 30. So it's just as un-fun, but in the other direction.

So frustrating to have to spend so much time adjusting sliders and difficulty every year, especially when the settings from the year prior don't ever translate to the current year, so it is always a re-adjustment.

I just want to play the game, not spend hours and hours spread out across days and days to figure out how to balance and adjust the game so that it's playable.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »