Home

Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained

This is a discussion on Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
Haha i think that guy sagging off Horry was HOF Pippen drawing a charge. Thats a ensuing possession, do u give up a 3 or high percentage shot in the paint by another HOF Kobe? It's a gamble and Pippen (or the coaching staff off the 2 TOs) chose stopping the drive to the paint and leave whoever out there in the perimeter. On that play, Portland was leading by 2 under 10 sec to play, game 3. If this is a game 7, the defensive gameplay may have been a little different just to be on the safe side (I dun know).

So I really think its fine to keep that logic as-is for the AI to help (whether strong or weak side whichever is the fastest to help in time). And the more the 'no drive help' is needed in such late game situation (I may rather give up the paint and defend the 3).

And since its video game, a lot us play with LBJ or Luka-like court vision and so weak side help really makes little impact on us with cross court passes to the opposite corner

You don’t do either one. You rotate from the weakside and take the corner 3 away. Giving up a long skip pass that you have time to recover on.

I don’t know how we can say “it’s fine how it is” when it’s literally being done in a way that is considered wrong. Lol you don’t help off of a shooter on the ball side. Plain and simple.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #18
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
You don’t do either one. You rotate from the weakside and take the corner 3 away. Giving up a long skip pass that you have time to recover on.

I don’t know how we can say “it’s fine how it is” when it’s literally being done in a way that is considered wrong. Lol you don’t help off of a shooter on the ball side. Plain and simple.

Thats perspective and contextual. I definitely dun disagree with the no help on ball side thingy bcos these are what coaches teach on the concepts. My high school coach taught the same also lol

Its just puzzling that Pippen and/or the entire Portland coaching staff actually executed that defensive gameplan in that play in a NBA playoff game. And this is a NBA 2K game taking reference from the NBA.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
Thats perspective and contextual. I definitely dun disagree with the no help on ball side thingy bcos these are what coaches teach on the concepts. My high school coach taught the same also lol

Its just puzzling that Pippen and/or the entire Portland coaching staff actually executed that defensive gameplan in that play in a NBA playoff game. And this is a NBA 2K game taking reference from the NBA.

That’s because Robert Horry isn’t an outside shooting threat. He averaged less than one three a game back when he was in LA. Which is where the concept of game planning comes in. In 2K terms, selecting “gap” or “leave him” on Horry would allow his defender to help on any drive that comes his way. But that should NOT be the default concept like it is now.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #20
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
That’s because Robert Horry isn’t an outside shooting threat. He averaged less than one three a game back when he was in LA. Which is where the concept of game planning comes in. In 2K terms, selecting “gap” or “leave him” on Horry would allow his defender to help on any drive that comes his way. But that should NOT be the default concept like it is now.
If the gap or leave him options worked we could control where the help comes from. But, those options do not.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
If the gap or leave him options worked we could control where the help comes from. But, those options do not.

They do work, but per Czar, they currently only control the distance they keep between their man. The primary help option is no longer a thing.

I’ve never understood why they can’t have the “focus on” stuff that you have in timeouts as all around coach settings. What if I want to play Curry AND Thompson physical but want to give up a Draymond three? What if I want to go boxes and elbows on a player, ignore one, but run another off the line? If there was a way to incorporate all of those, that could go a long ways for our help defense.

With all of that being said, default help rotation needs to stop being from the ball side. Period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #22
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
They do work, but per Czar, they currently only control the distance they keep between their man. The primary help option is no longer a thing.

I’ve never understood why they can’t have the “focus on” stuff that you have in timeouts as all around coach settings. What if I want to play Curry AND Thompson physical but want to give up a Draymond three? What if I want to go boxes and elbows on a player, ignore one, but run another off the line? If there was a way to incorporate all of those, that could go a long ways for our help defense.

With all of that being said, default help rotation needs to stop being from the ball side. Period.
Leave them does absolutely nothing. I can verify that myself. It doesn’t even affect the distance of the player. Gap provides way more space then leave him. You can go and test that out in 30 seconds. But I do agree that the help in this game is not perfect. But it is better. They will rotate to Simmons to leave Curry open, but at least they are rotating.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Leave them does absolutely nothing. I can verify that myself. It doesn’t even affect the distance of the player. Gap provides way more space then leave him. You can go and test that out in 30 seconds. But I do agree that the help in this game is not perfect. But it is better. They will rotate to Simmons to leave Curry open, but at least they are rotating.

I’m just going off of Czar back at launch. I never use leave him so I can’t say to what it does.

Rotations are definitely better, they just have a long ways to go. And some of the fixes seem like they would be relatively simple. They clearly have the capability to program logic well.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:

I think you can set how tight the individual matchups are, like, set Curry and Klay to be guarded tight and for draymonds guy to sag off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »