Home

My Player Progression Strategy

This is a discussion on My Player Progression Strategy within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
First off, how did you avoid the clone glitch? This is the one terrible thing about the game.

As for points, if you want to be a dominant player right away it is best to choose one area and go with that. The easiest way to do this is offense, either shooting, driving, or posting. One thing that really helps any offensive game is consistency. it really helps you keep your player from going cold and keeps you from having off games. Once you get that to where you can really attack most defenses then either round out your offense to make you a more consistant, dominant scorer or try to go defense.

If you want to have the best overall rating then improve the mental ratings. This won't make you a great player but it will boost your overall for cheap.

Personally I try to balance it more so my player improves in all areas and is the best all around player he can be. This might limit my ability to dominate and take over games at first bu it allows me to put up decent all around numbers.

The last player I tried was a 6'10" back to the basket PF. By mid december I was a 60 overall, starting, scoring over 20 most games and having one with 38, grabbing double digit rebounds about half the time and being close the rest of the time, blocking a few shots here and there, around .8 per game, averaging over 2 assists per game and less than a turnover per game.

What I was doing was adding 5 points to an offensive rating, then 5 to defense, then 5 to physical, then 5 to mental. Most of my offensive ones went to the post game since that was my bread and butter but I put some into shooting and offensive rebounding as well. Defensively I spread it out between rebounding, blocks, post defense, and a little on ball defense. Physical I went mostly with stamina but put a little into vertical to help with the rebounding and shot blocking and a little into speed to help guard the occasional SF that I got stuck on and a little into strenght to help with the post defense. Mentally I went mostly with consistancy and a little into clutch offense.

i fell u man i dont wanna start over on my career

"I dont want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant." Kobe Bryant
Old 10-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
It works alright, nothing special but it is better than the rimgrazer package.

I really need some better ball handling too, way to many turnovers trying to break people down and not enough success beating people there. That is on my list after the midrange game which by the way in my last game I was able to hit a couple jumpshots. Now just one more summer league game and on to playing with real nba players. If I can keep from being cut through training camp, which I am pretty optimistic about, I think the hornets will be a real contender. Between emeka, peja, west, me, and whoever else they have we will have a deep and talented front court and then add in paul running the point and we could very well get a ring.

Yeah homie that sounds like quite the squad. My midrange needs work, seems like I can only sink them when I'm super wide open. Consistency helps me out a little though.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChosenOne
i fell u man i dont wanna start over on my career
I have now started mine over, about to use the workaround to avoid the bug
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by weylum
Yeah homie that sounds like quite the squad. My midrange needs work, seems like I can only sink them when I'm super wide open. Consistency helps me out a little though.
I think I am like maybe 3 for 15 shooting any shots outside the key so far. Last game I couldn't make anything, even in the key, but I did end up with a triple double as the bad shooting forced me to pass more and I had a couple big scores down the stretch to get a win.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

I found out yesterday that after 70 ball handling rating, you get more dribble options. Same thing after 80. Although I can't yet see what the new moves out, but I haven't gone to practice to see.

Crazy as it may sound, I've already played about 60 games... so the idea of starting from scratch is killing me. But I hate playing at 5 minutes. While I'm in the D-League I'm getting really good numbers... about 28 points a game while at least 5 assists, 4 boards. But I'm betting for the NBA games I'm going to need more like 8 minute quarters to have a chance to hit the game goals...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
MVP

Well, that is good to hear. Nearly to being able to get more ball handling moves, may have to throw some points into there again soon.

As far as minutes, if you are getting plenty of PT and have sliders to lower the shooting percentages so both teams won't always shoot over 50% then 9 minutes puts up pretty good numbers. 8 is really good when you sim ahead quite a bit but can be a little low once you start actually playing
Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4
Exclamation Re: My Player Progression Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus0313
I found out yesterday that after 70 ball handling rating, you get more dribble options. Same thing after 80. Although I can't yet see what the new moves out, but I haven't gone to practice to see.
I have searched the forums for this but does anyone know if there is a list of how ratings effect the different packages?

For example it would be good to know what dribble rating I'd need for an elite package. This would be a great sticky thread if someone has already done it? Otherwise we can create one a add to it as people work out what ratings affects the packages we can choose.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

Hey guys once you avoided the clone glitch can you switch teams later in your career or are you stuck in the same place your whole career just to avoid the cone?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »