Home

PC Setup Thread - Advice on what works

This is a discussion on PC Setup Thread - Advice on what works within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #41
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: PC Setup Thread - Advice on what works

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
If you cant see the difference between 120fps and 60fps then stick to consoles. The clarity and motion is superior and there is little to no blur which you cannot say is not there on 60fps.

To say not spending a lot for a good pc experience is true but to say 120fps vs 60fps is not much difference is flat out false. Dont matter who the person is
My fps is more consistent and better than on console with my PC. I literally stay at a smooth 60 fps at all times, that doesnt happen on console. My loading times are much faster on all games. And the "stick to console" comment doesn't fit here, as modding is a major part of the reason people play on PC to begin with. So, I will not "stick to consoles", and anybody who wants the better overall experience FPS wise, and all the mods, would also not want to "stick to consoles", they would want to go the PC route.

I also have no noticable motion blur, and again have played on higher FPS than 60. I truly dont notice much of a difference, as my current setup plays everything so smooth.

We can both love our setups and help out in here, that's what it's about. Not a big deal. You have a better performing setup than mine, as does OSU user who is trying to optimize his performance/look. Yes, this thread was created to show people that they dont have to spend a fortune to have a great PC gaming experience (which some believe is the case), and to show how my setup works and has benefited me, but overall it's an advice thread in general for people to help people

Your information may be helpful to some, my info as well. Different strokes for different folks, that's all I am getting at. If someone wants to spend more, or wants to get a monitor instead of a TV, etc, they should go for it.

I am not saying that 120fps isnt better than 60fps, I am saying that I dont notice much of a difference, to the point were I have not considered upgrading to a monitor or my setup in general to achieve it.

Most people who dont have the game on PC, and are used to console, are completely in the dark as to how gaming works on PC. Heck, many dont even know that you can use an xbox one wireless controller on the PC, or that you can hook it up to TV (or what a good gaming tv is in general).

So we can all help eachother out in here.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 10-14-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 AM   #42
Pro

solofx7's Arena

OVR: 7

Hello, can you kind folks make some recommendations for me?

I am about to purchase an LG C9 4K OLED TV.

What PC specs would I need if I want to play NBA 2K20 in 4K with HDR if possible. I want to use mods and have it run smooth.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #43
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofx7
Hello, can you kind folks make some recommendations for me?

I am about to purchase an LG C9 4K OLED TV.

What PC specs would I need if I want to play NBA 2K20 in 4K with HDR if possible. I want to use mods and have it run smooth.

Thank you in advance.
Just a heads up, all mods have basically zero impact on FPS. Meaning courts, stadiums, cyberfaces, globals, lighting mods, etc etc

The only mods that I have used that can impact FPS a tad are "reshade" ones that use an external plug in of sorts, and sweetfx type mods. All the mod screenshots you see though in the 2K20 screenshot section are mods that don't impact FPS, they are global and stadium mods. So I would take the "will mods hurt my FPS" question out of this.

As far as 4K with HDR graphics cards (ones that have those capabilities, and not just capability, but do it well), and processors that handle those cards, have you done any research at this point? And if anybody else wants to jump in and give him recommendation on that specifically, please do. I do not play in 4K.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 10-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #44
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three
Just a heads up, all mods have basically zero impact on FPS. Meaning courts, stadiums, cyberfaces, globals, lighting mods, etc etc

The only mods that I have used that can impact FPS a tad are "reshade" ones that use an external plug in of sorts, and sweetfx type mods. All the mod screenshots you see though in the 2K20 screenshot section are mods that don't impact FPS, they are global and stadium mods. So I would take the "will mods hurt my FPS" question out of this.

As far as 4K with HDR graphics cards (ones that have those capabilities, and not just capability, but do it well), and processors that handle those cards, have you done any research at this point? And if anybody else wants to jump in and give him recommendation on that specifically, please do. I do not play in 4K.
Must be nice playing in 8k big time lol! J/K So, who is the go to guy for PC rosters? I'm more interested in retro rosters.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three

Hey, have a question. I want to get back into PC gaming (played NBA Live 2001) and want to confirm that with the below specs, it can work decent. There graphics card is what I am worried about.. I'm not trying to pay past $400 for a tower. The processor is Intel i5 3470
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 4.14.02 PM.png (35.7 KB, 86 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #46
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
If you cant see the difference between 120fps and 60fps then stick to consoles. The clarity and motion is superior and there is little to no blur which you cannot say is not there on 60fps.

To say not spending a lot for a good pc experience is true but to say 120fps vs 60fps is not much difference is flat out false. Dont matter who the person is
I agree with XxGamerXx, playing on a setup with a i9 9900 and a 2080 ti at 120 FPS is a dream. Playing 2K and Madden 20 on PC is by far superior to playing on console or 60 FPS on PC. I haven’t touched my Pro or One X in forever. I also have a C9 OLED which I hooked my PC to and although it ran and looked great, I can’t give up ultra wide.

3 national championships 3 Heisman Trophy winners 16 ACC Championships 14 straight AP top fives

2014 BCS National Champions
Old 04-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Hey, have a question. I want to get back into PC gaming (played NBA Live 2001) and want to confirm that with the below specs, it can work decent. There graphics card is what I am worried about.. I'm not trying to pay past $400 for a tower. The processor is Intel i5 3470

That gpu want work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think unless you are playing a competitive fast-paced shooter; perhaps at a tournament where every frame counts, 60 fps is plenty smooth enough.

I prefer to use my system power to increase the resolution, add more anti-aliasing to eliminate jaggies as much as possible(could not stand them even as a child when 3D games first started coming out), add a reshade with some nice shaders to make the game look even better--basically doing everything I can to get as close to 99% GPU usage while still maintaining a locked 60 fps without any drops. More fps than that does not provide as large a benefit as image quality imo.

Anyway, another advantage not mentioned about PC gaming is software cost. Sure, Sony and MS give you a game or discount with a subscription service a couple times a month, but Steam has sales on literally hundreds of games every day. In the long run my PC has more than paid for itself just on the money I've saved taking advantage of all the sales and free giveaways.

One thing I will say is once you start getting into optimizing your games for maximum quality like I mentioned earlier it can become somewhat of an obsession hah. I spend a lot of time tweaking configuration files ,driver settings, etc. to get the most out of the games I play. Personally, I actually enjoy doing this but it's not for everyone. Some people will want to just get their game and immediately start playing without so much as looking at an options menu. For those perhaps consoles are indeed the better option still

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »