Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #609
Rookie

H8ff0000's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
Okay.... again, maybe I'm missing something. I Player Lock Kobe, and the players don't automatically inbound pass, don't pass me the ball, and don't shoot (even with the clock running down). Am I doing something wrong?
I have the same exact issue, and I'm shocked we are the only ones mentioning it. Apparently either we are special and can't figure this out or no one else tried player lock.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #610
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I've played it and I'm sold. 2k has been my game of choice for 5 years running. But after the framerate mess that was 2k9 and the fact that the controls have gotten progressively worse since 2k7 I'm making the switch. As long as they have something like either 2k cam or drive and the framerate stays the same, game over for me and 2k. It's not perfect, but this is next-gen NBA Live. Another win for EA in my book. Congrats on a great game from what I've seen so far. Props to Marcus and Mike! Got my money. But you're still not Fifa-level!

P.S. Glad you guys stopped using the guy from "The Air up There" for your player models! And glad to see EA was smart enough to hire an IU man to show them how B-Ball should look and feel. Mike Wang is the man.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 09-12-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #611
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf00
All hype. Yeah they did a lot of work on the dribble controls and the looks of players but if you really play the demo you notice a lot of the same Live problems that have plagued it for years remain. The control is great on offense and players look great, but the defense, rebounding. There i sno box out button. man defense is terrible. Moving in and out of the post offensively and defensively is very awkward. The post game in general is very simplistic and everyone plays the same. Still a lot of ridiculous awkward animations and a lot of animations that don't finish themselves at all and cut out. Blocks and rebounding and boxing out are ridiculously unrealistic.

The passing is bad and players dont adjust their pass angle. You actually have to move your player or the AI will throw it directly at the defender instead of adjusting the angle. It's a very simplistic game. I played the demo a ton today If EA actually backed up all their claims and pushing this game on people that would be one thing, but they haven't . Marketing. It amazes me how many people have been buying it. It's a shallow thing when you don't back it up. Watch the trailers they've showed. notice how they never show defense. There still is no inbound steal button. The steal animation is delayed and a crapshoot in general. Players still jump awkwardly and the game is simplistic. I don't know how to describe it but the way players just stand there and bounce off each other in rubber band way is very archaic. The playcalling system is also extremely simplistic. Minor, but the rim and block sounds are pretty bad.

I will say some positives so people don't think I'm trolling here. These are my honest impressions. I do think the control offensively is excellent and has a good feel to it. The players have weight to them. They aren't solid like 2k but there is more of an organic feel. 2k used to be organic back int he day but has gotten kind of robotic as tech has advanced. I would say the way players move and animate is more organic in Live. Graphically the game is stunning. The menus are all sleak and nice. The atmosphere is nice. The game flows nicely and plays a decent game of basketball minus some glaring unrealistic things. The tech in the game is good and EA did a great job capturing various players. Although players still morph through the lane and i've seen several instances of a player going right through me or the ball. The AI on fight for the ball is terrible. I've had possesion only to have my own player suddenly dive for it and knock it out of bounds. As far as having control over an offensive player and being able to dip and cross over and pull off all sorts of combos and have the defense react is very smooth. But that's the extent of the depth in this game.

IMO EA loses a lot of credibility here. So does DA_Czar. I've been playing these games for a long time so this isn't a case of getting used to the controls. I'm playing on allstar where the real ballers play Czar. I've been playing these games for years. I took the time and played and adjusted and played within the flow of the game and learned all the controls. EA talks a good game but then there's the truth. Hopefully EA doesn't run everyone else out of business and start charging whatever they want for addons and additional difficulty levels.
I disagree with your assessment of my credibility

http://www.operationsports.com/Da_Cz.../4772-why-me-/
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #612
Rookie

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Well after playing the demo for a while, I'm not really impressed. The graphics are took a hit. It looks nice in the gym, but in gameplay looks like cartoons. The rim and ball physics are terrible. The signature shoots are off on most players. Also the game still feel a bit stiff. Don't get me wrong it's an improvement over last years, but i'm not crazy about it. I'll pass on this game. I thought I was going to be blown away, but it didn't happen.
Amen to this.

NBA Live is still NBA Jam in comparison to 2K.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #613
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think the "cartoonish" look has a lot to do with the over exaggerated sweat and contrast of the jersey colors. Notice the players in the hangar don't have as much shine to them and tend to look a bit better.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #614
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOausarOo
very superficial, but why do the bench players stand up for so long? They also seem to overreact to everything. I think the bench emotion is over exaggerated.
could be that were locked into the "finals" atmosphere for the demo.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #615
Pro

OVR: 33

Not at all!

I'm actually a big fan of EA sport games & up until a couple of years ago I was loyal to the NBA Live series. I feel that they are improving the gameplay but the 2K series has such more going for it.

I actually believe that one of the reasons this years game suffers visually is because EA have invested so much energy into the gameplay whereas 2K's gameplay has been it's strong point for a while which gives them the opportunity to expand on other features i.e; Franchise Mode, Dynamic commentary, Graphics.

EA have done a good job this year with their products. Fight Night 4 & PGA 10 got some nice touches & Madden 10, despite some AI issues, was a massive step up from 09. I just think from the demo at least they are a way behind 2K in regards to the NBA series. That said I still won't decide 100% which game I will get until I have a go of NBA 2K10. Who knows maybe they screwed this series up like they did their MLB 2K series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #616
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I disagree with your assessment of my credibility

http://www.operationsports.com/Da_Cz.../4772-why-me-/
C you spent way to much time responding to that ridiculous "call out" post my brother. Someone attacking your credibility for simply stating your opinion is ridiculous but it's bound to happen. Kanye say's it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanye
"There'll always be *****'s that’s just the way it is,
***** ****'s marry ***** bitches and have ***** kids."
Don't sweat it, imo you are the most in-depth, well written and well informed basketball game reviewer on the net. The more well known you get the more hate you'll get, in today's society it's practically guaranteed unfortunately. Keep up the good work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »