Home

NBA Live 16 Screenshots - Jimmy Butler

This is a discussion on NBA Live 16 Screenshots - Jimmy Butler within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #41
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
NBA Live 16 Screenshots - Jimmy Butler

Well, saying Live 16 the most lifelike sports game ever after about 5 screenshots and some minor gameplay footage is certainly going to raise some valid questions....nothing really "fanboy" about disagreeing with that...

At the end of the day it comes down to preference. I can definitely appreciate Lives art style though, always have.....Live 15 wad a nice looking game and Live 16 looks to be even more improved. Hopefully that becomes even more evident outside of the replay screens this year...

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 07-06-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #42
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA Live 16 Screenshots - Jimmy Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benefactor
I'm talking about character models, textures, lighting applied to those models and how they are almost replicating their real life human counterparts. (Not animation).

I have been gaming (and even dabbled in 3D character modelling more than once) for over 20 years and have not seen a better representation of an NBA athlete than the models in Live 15.

Their shoulders are round, there are real muscle tones, body shapes, when limbs animate those muscles appear to move and flex, you don't see (many) sharp or blocky edges to the polygons, no visible joins.

What they've achieved is technically, very, very impressive.

Some of that is seen in these Live 15 pics. And make note of the different body sizes. Big Baby and his chubbiness, George Hill and is broad shoulders. Again, as a whole it isn't perfect at all areas, but to not appreciate the quality is to quite simply, appear like you are looking for a game vs game fanboy argument (which would only get you banned).
Thanks for the clarification. It may not sound like it but I certainly do appreciate what Live is doing. These screenshots that you just posted definitely has better skin tone, color palette, more lifelike skin complexion than specifically the "Jimmy Butler" and "Kevin Durant" screen.

Okay, you've dabbled with 3D models and gamed for 20 years. That's great indeed. It gives you perspective. But the true test (and this is one reason why I decided to post about the Jimmy Butler and Kevin Durant screenshot) is to ask someone who does not play video games at all because sometimes an outsider's point of view may be even more important.

My two sisters don't game (not sports game, but street fighter, zelda, mario brothers, etc.), my two sister's husbands don't really game. A look at Live16's Durant and Butler's screenshot and they thought it looked cool but definitely not real. They said it looks fake. Their opinions were different when I presented them with the "other" game's screenshots (they were amazed). The same reaction when I showed them gameplay footage of Gran Turismo (they didn't believe that it was a video game).

Then I showed them NBA16's gameplay video. Their reactions were what I expected. The player models and lighting and skin tone were definitely much more realistic.

Not sure why you had to make that final statement. No one is looking for a game vs game fanboy/fangirl argument. I brought up the other game because others mentioned it. Constructive criticism should be perfectly fine if a certain other product has desirable elements that could be useful influence. It's a little bit more touchy on operationsports and hence you try to avoid doing so.

Side Remark with regards to your fanboy comment. MLBtheShow has great lighting and graphics, and gameplay. But it also has some very awkward animations and gameplay moments. Pro Yakyuu Spirits is another baseball game available in Japan (unfortunately only available in the Japanese language). I bought a PS3 and PS4 specifically for MLBtheShow. I love the game. However, there are tons of stuff from the now defunct MLB2k baseball game and Pro Yakyuu Spirits game that surpasses MLBtheShow. If the Show's developers would take suggested influential elements from MLB2k and Pro Yakyuu Spirits, MLBtheShow would be so much better. It's not about being a fanboy, it's about trying to get a game to greater heights and realism.

EDIT: Same with other products. Cell phones for example. If a certain phone has a feature, an effect, or whatever that isn't trademarked and provides the user a better experience, it would be nice for a second cell phone manufacturer to takes notes and if possible incorporate it into their product line. It's about looking at your competition and seeing what they're doing, whether good or bad, and I guess "brainstorm" if you will.

The Spurs has a formula for winning; one can essentially say the Golden State Warriors have adopted and tweaked that winning blueprint formula.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-06-2015 at 06:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »