Home

*~*~*~Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread~*~*~*

This is a discussion on *~*~*~Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread~*~*~* within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: *~*~*~Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread~*~*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick17
its not a pattern...so no discussion needed

over 6 games, he is still having one of the best seasons

are you sure about that

5-14
9-21
8-22
6-12
8-18
4-19

40-106 = 37% lowest 4 his career if memory serves me correct
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2004, 02:30 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 6

the 5/14, 8/22, and 4/19 are like unacceptable!

well just very low percentages, the rest is okay

the whole team has spurts of good bball, but then they fall into this lackluster ugly gameplay where they make so many boneheaded mistakes

its so annoying watching these laker losses

none of the losses have even been close, they've all been so ugly that watching them play i'd shield the children's eyes to keep them from playing like the lakers

and i dont like how rudy decided to play zone D against the Grizz either

that leaves them open for 3's and mid-range jumpers, especially since the lakers aren't too quick on the rotations yet, just giving a little daylight is enough for someone to swish a shot, but i guess the zone can be attributed to foul trouble by odom and mihm, since they're more prone to more fouls when players drive against them

and the ball is like made out of a square or something, why do all of the laker's seem to catch the ball like its some polygonal object with irregular spin, even on rebounds this happens, the ball flies everywhere when they try to grab it

and too many times they try to outjump the other team, and only end up loosing the ball, instead of using their body to block out their opponent

some of these points are pretty exaggerated, but its only because they've existed in every season game the lakers have played this season, which means i guess it'll take lots of times to see these problems addressed, and for the lakers to become a good team only when they can address these issues consistently (no doubt there are more issues to be dealt with, but these are general, major ones in my mind. probably missed some too oh well)
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobbybobby23
the 5/14, 8/22, and 4/19 are like unacceptable!

well just very low percentages, the rest is okay

the whole team has spurts of good bball, but then they fall into this lackluster ugly gameplay where they make so many boneheaded mistakes

its so annoying watching these laker losses

none of the losses have even been close, they've all been so ugly that watching them play i'd shield the children's eyes to keep them from playing like the lakers

and i dont like how rudy decided to play zone D against the Grizz either

that leaves them open for 3's and mid-range jumpers, especially since the lakers aren't too quick on the rotations yet, just giving a little daylight is enough for someone to swish a shot, but i guess the zone can be attributed to foul trouble by odom and mihm, since they're more prone to more fouls when players drive against them

and the ball is like made out of a square or something, why do all of the laker's seem to catch the ball like its some polygonal object with irregular spin, even on rebounds this happens, the ball flies everywhere when they try to grab it

and too many times they try to outjump the other team, and only end up loosing the ball, instead of using their body to block out their opponent

some of these points are pretty exaggerated, but its only because they've existed in every season game the lakers have played this season, which means i guess it'll take lots of times to see these problems addressed, and for the lakers to become a good team only when they can address these issues consistently (no doubt there are more issues to be dealt with, but these are general, major ones in my mind. probably missed some too oh well)
This is what we are most likely gonna see until late December - mid January. They will have to learn how to play together, and once Vlade and George come back, that's just two more people to squeeze into the rotation and two more players to get accustomed to. Until then, we will see some great games (Denver, Atlanta), some not so great games (Utah, Memphis), and some average games (San Antonio).

I think that the New Orleans game sums my entire post up.

In the first 3 quarters, the Lakers were playing up to their potential. They were playing great, each player doing what they can do. That's what we will see when they learn each other's tendancies.

In the first 10 minutes of the 4th quarter, the Lakers played horrible. There were so many mis-communications. Odom passes inside, when Atkins pops outside. Kobe passes to the corner (where Fish usually is) but Odom cuts to the basket. Stuff like that.

In the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter, the Lakers played average. They played some good defense, executed offense at times, but they were very choppy

Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 13

Kobe Dealing with Plantar Fasciitis from LAtimes

Laker Loss Is a Sore Subject

Bryant reveals a foot problem after L.A. is pounded by Memphis, 110-87, on the second night of a back-to-back.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. —
Back-to-back games, valid tests of NBA strength, are quickly becoming pains in the Lakers' … feet.

For the second time in a young season, the Lakers were thoroughly outplayed in the second game of consecutive-night situations, this time losing to the previously winless Memphis Grizzlies, 110-87, in front of 18,119 at FedEx Forum on Wednesday night.

Then, as if adding injury to insult, Kobe Bryant emerged from almost 45 minutes of postgame treatment to reveal he has been struggling with plantar fasciitis in his left foot, a condition in which connective tissue in the arch of the foot becomes inflamed and painful.

The condition can become chronic and has caused NBA players to sit out games, although the Lakers are believed to have caught it in its infancy and Bryant is expected to play Friday against the Orlando Magic.

"It's one of those things you have to jump on early so it doesn't linger," said Bryant, who made four of 19 shots and had 20 points. "My body heals fast."

Bryant had his worst shooting game of the season, including an uncharacteristic three airballs in the third quarter as the Lakers tried unsuccessfully to rally from a 63-44 halftime deficit.

Long after the streamers had finished dropping from the ceiling and the theme from "Star Wars" had stopped blaring throughout the arena, Bryant emerged from the training room wearing a black hat and a calm disposition.

He is shooting 37.7%, well below his career average of 45.4% coming into the season, but he said his foot has bothered him for only a few days. He offered up a partly reassuring, "I'll be fine."

Another injury, specifically one to Bryant, is the last reality the Lakers want to face. Already short-handed with four injured frontcourt players, the Lakers suited up only 11 players against the Grizzlies.

Despite Bryant's shooting woes, he was averaging an NBA-best 29.2 points before Wednesday. The Lakers have another series of back-to-back road games Friday against the Orlando Magic and Saturday against the Houston Rockets.

"Kobe's a guy who would play even if he had a bone sticking through the skin," Laker spokesman John Black said.

As for the game, the Lakers slogged through a foul-plagued first half and never seemed to recover. Five Lakers had three fouls by halftime and the Lakers trailed by as many as 23 in the second quarter.

The Lakers sent the Grizzlies to the free-throw line 24 times in the first half, short-circuiting the Lakers' up-tempo vision.

The Lakers had only 12 fast-break points, the Grizzlies 27.

"You can't run on [opponents'] free throws," Laker Coach Rudy Tomjanovich said.

Lamar Odom played only six minutes in the first half because of foul trouble. He finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds in 20 minutes.

"I got two quick fouls and then a third foul and had to watch the rest of it," said Odom, who smiled wanly. "I played the same defense in the second half as I played in the first half. I just have to stay aggressive. Maybe then I can get some calls."

An equally cumbersome problem has been the Lakers' inability to stay competitive in back-to-back finales.

The Lakers were 10-9 last season in the second game of back-to-back situations, but they are now 0-2, losing by an average of 24.5 points. They set three team records for offensive futility in a 104-78 loss to the Utah Jazz on Nov. 3.

"Back-to-back games are tough to win in this league," center Chris Mihm said. "We will have to learn to win these. We can't be satisfied with getting a win one night and not getting one the next."

Uh-oh.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 1

once you step onto a court, field, ice...you cant complain
Old 11-11-2004, 12:45 PM   #30
Banned

if kobe misses significant time the lakers are cooked like dinner

kobe should sit out VS the rockets so it would be even no tmac no kobe thats only fair
Old 11-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 6

i kinda wanna see how the lakers will play without kobe though

lamar odom and caron butler are totally able to score lots of points, mihm can too, granted he gets passed to at the right times

odom is a monster too, 11 rebounds in 20 minutes

the main problem, like in all lakers games, is gonna be defense

if kobe goes down, the lakers are screwed at defense, butler's good at steals, but he can't really defend one on one, especially against a quicker guard

the lakers would have no one capable of defending an opposing SG

lakers should make some trades as well (medvedenko, cook, george, rush)

tierre brown also isn't an ideal pg, he's more of a scoring PG, he picks up assists but he also makes lots of stupid decisions, and too many times he leaves his feet before he passes which = turnoverrrrr but i guess the FA market for PGs for cheap was limited, atkins makes some bone headed decisions too, not good for a point guard
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2004, 03:03 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobbybobby23
i kinda wanna see how the lakers will play without kobe though

lamar odom and caron butler are totally able to score lots of points, mihm can too, granted he gets passed to at the right times

odom is a monster too, 11 rebounds in 20 minutes

the main problem, like in all lakers games, is gonna be defense

if kobe goes down, the lakers are screwed at defense, butler's good at steals, but he can't really defend one on one, especially against a quicker guard

the lakers would have no one capable of defending an opposing SG

lakers should make some trades as well (medvedenko, cook, george, rush)

tierre brown also isn't an ideal pg, he's more of a scoring PG, he picks up assists but he also makes lots of stupid decisions, and too many times he leaves his feet before he passes which = turnoverrrrr but i guess the FA market for PGs for cheap was limited, atkins makes some bone headed decisions too, not good for a point guard

lmao @ slava cook geroge and rush being trad bait

no team wants these guys, there 10-12 men on any other team easily, the only players the lakers who can get trade v alue are kobe,butler & odom

IMO

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »