Home

The 2013 New York Knicks: Do or Die Time, No More Excuses!

This is a discussion on The 2013 New York Knicks: Do or Die Time, No More Excuses! within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #409
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The 2013 New York Knicks: Do or Die Time, No More Excuses!

Could be wrong but I think he meant in terms of sticking with the team.

Quote:
Remember that on Thursday when it comes time for the Knicks — assuming they keep their first-rounder — to use the 24th pick . Based solely on history, that player has a better chance of being traded (See Michael Sweetney and Danilo Gallinari) before ever reaching his full potential with the club or, at the very least, making a legitimate impact.

For whatever reason — poor selections and an impatient front office — the Knicks don’t draft well. They certainly trail in the area of developing players, especially when compared to clubs such as San Antonio and Indiana.
The Knicks would rather throw money at established free agents than focus on player development, an organizational philosophy that, quite frankly, has failed. Even former Knicks president Isiah Thomas admitted last week that the Knicks need to steal a page from the Spurs’ book and develop from within.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #410
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Could be wrong but I think he meant in terms of sticking with the team.

[/color][/left]
Yeah but he said they don't draft well. Just say they don't keep their picks.

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #411
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

^Right and to me drafting a couple of players that enable you to trade for Carmelo Anthony is not a draft failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #412
MVP

OVR: 11

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Zeke is right - Knicks need to steal a page from the Spurs playbook. Why can't our scouting dept. find diamonds in the rough, develop and keep them? Shump & Copeland are a start - I want more.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #413
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
^Right and to me drafting a couple of players that enable you to trade for Carmelo Anthony is not a draft failure.
Exactly. And the guys they didn't keep like Hill and Sweeney were clear busts. So why would you keep them?

"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #414
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Zeke is right - Knicks need to steal a page from the Spurs playbook. Why can't our scouting dept. find diamonds in the rough, develop and keep them? Shump & Copeland are a start - I want more.
I've always felt that Thomas was a good drafter. I'm sure people will point to Balkman but everyone misses a pick every now and then.

Thomas had a great track record drafting in Toronto, and he drafted a couple pieces in New York that the team just couldn't hold onto because Thomas was horrible at cap management (Frye, Lee, for example).

But I do think with the Knicks embracing the new model of 2-3 stars and rounding the roster with solid, cheap labor, management is realizing how important it is to find those diamonds.

I give credit in them finding Prigioni and Copeland. Unfortunately, their work will likely reward someone else because its unlikely either guy comes back if a team offers them what they deserve.

But the Spurs do the same thing. They keep plucking. They find complimentary pieces that leave and recycle. It would appear the Knicks are headed in that direction.

I hope.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #415
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I've always felt that Thomas was a good drafter. I'm sure people will point to Balkman but everyone misses a pick every now and then.

Thomas had a great track record drafting in Toronto, and he drafted a couple pieces in New York that the team just couldn't hold onto because Thomas was horrible at cap management (Frye, Lee, for example).

But I do think with the Knicks embracing the new model of 2-3 stars and rounding the roster with solid, cheap labor, management is realizing how important it is to find those diamonds.

I give credit in them finding Prigioni and Copeland. Unfortunately, their work will likely reward someone else because its unlikely either guy comes back if a team offers them what they deserve.

But the Spurs do the same thing. They keep plucking. They find complimentary pieces that leave and recycle. It would appear the Knicks are headed in that direction.

I hope.

Isaiah Thomas was conducting illegal workouts.

The Knicks college scouts have been garbage. Our overseas scouts have been much better.

We always have to keep in mind though the D'Antoni factor. D'Antoni wanted a certain type of player. A player that fit his system.

That is why we took Jordan Hill over Brandon Jennings. Because D'Antoni kept trumping up Hill as the next Amare.

Gallo was supposed to be the next Dirk.

Grunwald seems to have much more of a handle on our scouts now (or so it seems). I don't think they'll reach with our one pick tonight. What I don't want to see though is a 3 point shooter as it would be redundant IMO because we need to force Novak to start playing up to his contract.

We need a player that gets his nose dirty. Not a finesse player.

Dieng (probably wont be there), Snell, Franklin, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #416
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Yeah but he said they don't draft well. Just say they don't keep their picks.

He did say they don't keep their picks. And he also said this
Quote:
The Knicks have had decent first-round picks over the past decade, but Gallinari and Wilson Chandler were traded to Denver in the Carmelo Anthony deal. David Lee left via free agency once the Knicks signed Amar’e Stoudemire. Channing Frye was traded to Portland in the Zach Randolph deal. Jordan Hill was dealt to Houston for Tracy McGrady’s expiring contract while Sweetney was a bust.

But I think his point was to say that the picks they make just don't stick around long term(for whatever reasons). He does have a point in this regard.

In regards to emulating the Spurs, I think the problem a lot of teams run into is that they don't/won't necessarily have the same amount of patience as the Spurs, which has played a key role in their success. Samething in regards to their System as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »