Home

This or College Hoops 2k8?

This is a discussion on This or College Hoops 2k8? within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: This or College Hoops 2k8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Sorry but a basketball game that has the AI pass out of the post/paint roughly 1% of the time is horrible, inexcusable, unrealistic and "horrific" AI. There is no opinion involved. How can anyone justify that as good AI? Throw in the fact that the CPU does a post move once every ten games only compounds this problem. The CPU passes to the post, the CPU shoots a jumpshot from the block. ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME! Regardless of if he's the worst player on the floor, regardless of score/time situation, regardless of if he's double teamed, triple teamed or quintuple-teamed. How are you going to tell me that's good AI? The predictability is off the charts for the CPU. It's like a baseball game where the CPU will never throw a strike when they're ahead in the count until it's a full count. Or a football game where the CPU never passes inside the red zone.

If EA simply left the AI the same from NCAA 09 and added all the other improvements we see in NCAA '10 I would be playing it over CH2K8 easily.

I've said on here numerous times that the user offense is way better than 2K8, as are the graphics, presentation and control. But the AI is worse than any basketball (EA or 2K) on this generation of consoles. And that is a FACT, no other basketball game features such a drastic gameplay issue as NCAA '10. Hell just go play Live '10 and you'll notice a huge difference in the quality of the AI.

If you play NCAA '10 hum v hum then it's an amazing game. I'd rather play March Madness '98 against the CPU than NCAA '10. I actually played the debacle known as March Madness 08 more than I played this game.
This is why I just play against my friends or online, If you were to rate the game based just on Hum vs Hum what would you rated it Ehh? I'd give it an 8.5. If only the CPU was smart
Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetercanoturn2
This is why I just play against my friends or online, If you were to rate the game based just on Hum vs Hum what would you rated it Ehh? I'd give it an 8.5. If only the CPU was smart
There isn't a single thing I don't like about hum v hum when it comes to gameplay. I wish post play was better but it doesn't bother me since you never see quality post moves in the college game IRL anymore.

More/better animations and a wider variety of jumpshot styles and I'd probably give it a 9/10 for hum vs hum - but those aren't gameplay elements to me. I'd probably give it a 8.5 as well, love the game human vs human.

I sold the game 10 days after I bought it, as soon as I found out there wouldn't be a patch. I will definitely buy it again once it's $10 or so just to play online or w. my boys. But I can't justify $60 for a game that I can barely play vs the CPU.

This game pisses me off more than any game in the last five years. If they just left the damn AI the same from last year I'd probably be in the 5th year of a UConn legacy at this point in time.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #19
MVP

mrclutch's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
There isn't a single thing I don't like about hum v hum when it comes to gameplay. I wish post play was better but it doesn't bother me since you never see quality post moves in the college game IRL anymore.

More/better animations and a wider variety of jumpshot styles and I'd probably give it a 9/10 for hum vs hum - but those aren't gameplay elements to me. I'd probably give it a 8.5 as well, love the game human vs human.

I sold the game 10 days after I bought it, as soon as I found out there wouldn't be a patch. I will definitely buy it again once it's $10 or so just to play online or w. my boys. But I can't justify $60 for a game that I can barely play vs the CPU.

This game pisses me off more than any game in the last five years. If they just left the damn AI the same from last year I'd probably be in the 5th year of a UConn legacy at this point in time.
So with all that said, would you go with 09 over 10 for the AI?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #20
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclutch
Without a doubt. The AI is more robotic (doesn't read the D as well) but has an inside-out game, a draw-n-kick game, etc. They do post moves regularly as well. In '10 it is nowhere to be found.

I'm not really endorsing going out and picking up NCAA '09 though, the game has plenty of issues. A lot of things improved from 09 to 10, there's just the one gigantic issue with the CPU AI that kills the game for me vs the CPU.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #21
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclutch

Neither is better than the other. Both need immense improvement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #22
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Sorry but a basketball game that has the AI pass out of the post/paint roughly 1% of the time is horrible, inexcusable, unrealistic and "horrific" AI. There is no opinion involved. How can anyone justify that as good AI? Throw in the fact that the CPU does a post move once every ten games only compounds this problem. The CPU passes to the post, the CPU shoots a jumpshot from the block. ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME! Regardless of if he's the worst player on the floor, regardless of score/time situation, regardless of if he's double teamed, triple teamed or quintuple-teamed. How are you going to tell me that's good AI? The predictability is off the charts for the CPU. It's like a baseball game where the CPU will never throw a strike when they're ahead in the count until it's a full count. Or a football game where the CPU never passes inside the red zone.
Hey man, a word to the wise: try making edits to the 'Inside Scoring' rating. Lowering this rating by 60 for every player (drastic I know, but just trust me) makes a world of difference. Remember that the Field Goal rating also determines the likelihood of a shot going in, so you'll still see a big difference between a beast like Patrick Patterson and some low-major scrub coming off the bench. I'd also recommend raising the 3-pt. rating by 10 (gives a realistic # of perimeter shots by the CPU) and lowering passing by 60 (again really extreme, but it slows the CPU offense down quite a bit, and just makes passing more realistic). You'll have to adjust the sliders a bit to suit your taste; I get pretty realistic FG% with all the shot % sliders at 40.

Now, all you have to do is focus on defending the paint. My strategy is to get my hands up with the R-stick to block the passing lanes, and sometimes even to time pass interceptions pressing the steal button. If the CPU does get the ball into the low block, I run my perimeter guy into the post, and try and suck the post player into a double team. The biggest thing now is that you'll almost never see the CPU guy do that stupid jumpshot from the block.

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago, but these edits have really improved the game for me. It's time consuming, I know. But I suggest you give it a try.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #23
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Hey man, a word to the wise: try making edits to the 'Inside Scoring' rating. Lowering this rating by 60 for every player (drastic I know, but just trust me) makes a world of difference. Remember that the Field Goal rating also determines the likelihood of a shot going in, so you'll still see a big difference between a beast like Patrick Patterson and some low-major scrub coming off the bench. I'd also recommend raising the 3-pt. rating by 10 (gives a realistic # of perimeter shots by the CPU) and lowering passing by 60 (again really extreme, but it slows the CPU offense down quite a bit, and just makes passing more realistic). You'll have to adjust the sliders a bit to suit your taste; I get pretty realistic FG% with all the shot % sliders at 40.

Now, all you have to do is focus on defending the paint. My strategy is to get my hands up with the R-stick to block the passing lanes, and sometimes even to time pass interceptions pressing the steal button. If the CPU does get the ball into the low block, I run my perimeter guy into the post, and try and suck the post player into a double team. The biggest thing now is that you'll almost never see the CPU guy do that stupid jumpshot from the block.

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago, but these edits have really improved the game for me. It's time consuming, I know. But I suggest you give it a try.
Thanks for that info, I will be sure to try it when I pick the game up again. Did you make a roster file with these edits?

I tried a bunch of stuff in the ten days I had the game but nothing seemed to make a big difference. Sounds like the edits you made helped but it's still a shame that I'm going to have to start doubling guys like Charles Okwandu when the catch the ball on the block.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I posted in your thread in the 2k8 section but wanted to post here as well. I'm a offline leagcy/dynasty only player (Hum vs CPU). Here is the way I see both games.
NCAA 10: The use of ESPN & CBS is cool at first but gets old quick. Like in college football how it was cool to hear Lee & Kirk for the first time but it got old fast when they say the same thing every game. The dynasty mode is basic. You can edit all the coaches names but they don't show up in the dynasty. o your coach has a name but the other teams don't. Then recruiting is way to easy. I signed four 4* players in the first few weeks of the UGA dynasty I started. Its NCAA football all over again. Then comes the freezing (had it on 360) I had 6 games freeze before giving up. I simed past the game that froze and the next one would freeze. Traded the game in for store credit after a few weeks. Missing a ton of teams. Not a problem if you only play with the big boys.
Choops2k8: I have had this game for 2 years now. The legacy mode is the deepest todate. I'm almost 100% sure you can have more then 1 player since you can control more then 1 team. I have not had any problems with this game. I had it freeze once while watching the weekly wrap-up show but that was after playing for 3 hours. Never had it happen again. The game play to me is not bad. The AI plays way better. Post players don't take 25 shoots a game. All teams are in the game as of 2008. I like to work my way up.
In conclusion, I have found 2k8 to be a better game. If NCAA10 would get a patch then it would be a good game. We should not have to spend time editing players to prevent things like a post player shooting the ball 25 times a game. If you want looks then go with NCAA 10 but if you want a deep game that plays like a college game should then go with 2k8.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »