Home

Countryboy's Heisman sliders (PS2)

This is a discussion on Countryboy's Heisman sliders (PS2) within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Countryboy's Heisman sliders (PS2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Maybe you could provide insight on to what you think needed tweaking and why. I'm always curious to read about matchups people have done and why they made changes.
I always play exhibition games, while setting my rosters, to get the feel of the game and the new controls, features, etc.... I also play the exhibition games so that I can tell if the game feels "balanced".

I first play as an elite team vs a team with an overall rating of D-. I play on Heisman to make sure that the game plays out as it should. If I get upset by the D- team, then I replay the game thinking that it could happen that an elite gets upset. If the game plays out the same, then I know that the game is a little too "cpu friendly" on Heisman. Luckily, I have never ran into this problem.

Then I play as the D- team vs an elite team to make sure that Heisman isn't too easy. Again, if I should upset the cpu, I replay the game hoping it doesn't play out the same. Mind you, I always, always, play to win. I am not going to cheat myself.

After those tests pass, I play a series of games with matchups like the following:

*Great offense vs average Def
*Great defense vs average Off
*average offense vs average Def
*great offense vs great def

I play these again to determine if the game plays "balanced" out of the box.

This year with the incorporation of "Precision Passing", I felt as though the passing was a little too easy, too accurate. I could roll out, and throw bombs off balance and still complete them. I also found that defenders didn't seem to be doing a good job of defending passes, batting the away. So I lowered QB accuracy and increased Knockdowns.

The reason for the cpu having the RB Ability all the way up is because no matter which RB I played against and which team I controlled, I always felt as though the RB for the cpu were too easy to bring down and too easy to strip the football from. Since uping the RB Ability slider, cpu fumbles have decreased dramatically and they break tackles at a realistic rate.

As for FG and Punt accuracy, I felt that it was far too easy to kick with tremendous accuracy, so I lowered it for both human and cpu.

Hope this helps, and sorry again for the wrong sliders being posted.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
The reason for the cpu having the RB Ability all the way up is because no matter which RB I played against and which team I controlled, I always felt as though the RB for the cpu were too easy to bring down and too easy to strip the football from. Since uping the RB Ability slider, cpu fumbles have decreased dramatically and they break tackles at a realistic rate.

As for FG and Punt accuracy, I felt that it was far too easy to kick with tremendous accuracy, so I lowered it for both human and cpu.

Hope this helps, and sorry again for the wrong sliders being posted.
Your testing ideas sound good but I certainly wouldn't enjoy using the D- team and getting my lunch handed to me by the elite team in that game lol. Balance is the most important thing about the game imo too. Testing run vs. pass, offense vs. defense takes precedence over actual stats.

I have noticed that the CPU fumbles more than me on AA so even though I'm staying down there, I will increase their RB ability to help on that. I like that idea and they could probably use the boost anyways. It is nice to see that your awareness isn't at 99 after all and that you are indeed human. I was beginning the think that Louisville Red was in fact Superman's cape.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Your testing ideas sound good but I certainly wouldn't enjoy using the D- team and getting my lunch handed to me by the elite team in that game lol. Balance is the most important thing about the game imo too. Testing run vs. pass, offense vs. defense takes precedence over actual stats.

I have noticed that the CPU fumbles more than me on AA so even though I'm staying down there, I will increase their RB ability to help on that. I like that idea and they could probably use the boost anyways. It is nice to see that your awareness isn't at 99 after all and that you are indeed human. I was beginning the think that Louisville Red was in fact Superman's cape.
Sidetrack: I like playing on Heisman level and have never had a problem with the CPU cheats. However, the fumble issue in this years NCAA is one thing that has disappointed me in the PS2 version. If what EA is trying to do is make people protect the ball while in traffic, it sounds good in theory, as long as the CPU does the same. Fumbles seem to be happening way to much now. I guess in order to curb the CPU fumbles, I'll have to test out the 99 run ability rating for CPU. I've never had them play as 99 run ability on Heisman mode, so hopefully it won't make the CPU RBs unstoppable and unrealistic. I just don't know why they made fumbling so much easier this year. I thought the turnover ratios in NCAA were pretty solid in the previous versions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I just don't know why they made fumbling so much easier this year. I thought the turnover ratios in NCAA were pretty solid in the previous versions.
It is strange particularly since they do tend to cater to the casual gamer and fumbles tick them off. The casual pick-up-and-play gamer probably doesn't believe in covering up the ball either.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
It is strange particularly since they do tend to cater to the casual gamer and fumbles tick them off. The casual pick-up-and-play gamer probably doesn't believe in covering up the ball either.
Here we go again with another slider request... how 'bout a TURNOVER slider.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
Here we go again with another slider request... how 'bout a TURNOVER slider.
Absolutely a FUMBLE slider would be great. They already have an INT slider but adding a fumble one (along with fatigue) would be very nice.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:

The RB Ability has really made a difference for me with this game. I don't have a problem with myself fumbling too many times(I fumbled once in the UK opener, because I tried to fight for yardage with a wideout instead of just going down). UK didn't fumble at all in the game, which was quite surprising.

And there is no way that I could have played the game with Awareness on 99 at the Heisman level. I had trouble getting the offense going against UK.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
Sidetrack: I like playing on Heisman level and have never had a problem with the CPU cheats. However, the fumble issue in this years NCAA is one thing that has disappointed me in the PS2 version. If what EA is trying to do is make people protect the ball while in traffic, it sounds good in theory, as long as the CPU does the same. Fumbles seem to be happening way to much now. I guess in order to curb the CPU fumbles, I'll have to test out the 99 run ability rating for CPU. I've never had them play as 99 run ability on Heisman mode, so hopefully it won't make the CPU RBs unstoppable and unrealistic. I just don't know why they made fumbling so much easier this year. I thought the turnover ratios in NCAA were pretty solid in the previous versions.
Yeah, the biggest problem is/was the fact that the cpu doesn't cover up the football when running and doesn't always switch hands which is necessary in this years game. After the increase in cpu rb ability, the fumbles seem realistic. Every fumble that I have seen the cpu committ is one that I could see happening(fighting for yards, blindsided).

As for the cpu RB becoming unrealistic and super human, I don't see that at all and don't think that you will either. In the game against UK I held Rafael Little to 76 yards on 22 carries.

And in a test session game to make sure that RB's wouldn't be super human, I held Kenneth Darby(Alabama) to 115 yards on 20 some-odd carries with the Toledo Rockets. So, I feel the running game is balanced.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »