Home

Updated Coaching Sliders

This is a discussion on Updated Coaching Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Updated Coaching Sliders

Yours Auburn:
4813 Total / 2895 P / 1918 R / 29.1 PPG / 25 P TDs / 14 R TDs / Sacked 34x

Mine:
5947 Total/2492 P / 1664 Run /23 PPG / 19 P TD / 11 R TD / 22 Sacks

Real world: 2800 P / 2600 Run / 21 sacks

Baylor:
5750 Total / 4611 P / 1139 R / 29.9 PPG / 37 P TDs / 11 R TDs / Sacked 37x

Mine: 5619 Total / 2977 P / 1069 R / 19.5 PPG / 20 PTD / 6 RTD / 33 Sacked

Real world: 2900 P / 1100 R / 31 sacks

Duke:
4144 Total / 3283 P / 861 R / 22.5 PPG / 24 P TDs / 4 R TDs / Sacked 43x

Mine Duke: 5358 Total / 2629 P / 867 R / 19.7 PPG / 20 PTD / 7 RTD/ 34 sacks

Real world: 3600 P / 800 R / 28 sacks

GT:
5578 Total / 2116 P / 3462 R / 34.5 PPG / 20 P TDs / 32 R TDs / Sacked 20x

Mine GT: 5932 / 1793 P / 2805 R / 28.4 PPG / 18 PTD, 19 RTD/ 13 sack

Real world: 1700 P / 4000 R / 12 sacks

Ohio State:
6222 Total / 3866 P / 2356 R / 34.9 PPG / 24 P TDs / 28 R TDs / Sacked 16x

Mine OS: 5945 / 2255 P / 1951 R / Sacked 31

Real world: 2200 P / 2500 R / 23 sacks

VT:
6099 Total / 3233 P / 2866 R / 35.8 PPG / 28 P TDs / 24 R TDs / Sacked 19x

Mine VT: 6185 T / 2260 / 2475 R / 28 PPG / 16 PTD / 16 RTD / Sacks 31

Real world: 2300 P / 3100 R / 31 sacks

After reviewing this I think my original sliders give realistic sack statistics for most teams and fairly accurate passing yards. However, the running yards are too low across the board. Defensively and run pass ratio wise I am not that excited about changing them since my sacks appear more realistic than these sliders and my run yardage is close except for Geargia tech and less noticably virginia tech. I am curious if you have any suggestions on what controls run yardage. I have a hypothesis:

1) Increasing ratios in favor of the run might increase run yardage; however yours are slanted the otherway and your teams have too many passing and rushing yards.

2) Increasing offensive aggressiveness increases both sets of yardage, since your ratios are off you are getting to many passing yards relative to rushing yards, by using real world ratios such as my set this might be improved. If this is primarily what you have done, please post because correct ratios with a slight increase if offensive aggression might give realistic run stats.

3) The Rush/pass defense slider adjust how many yards are given up to each category through interaction in the schedule, and thus don't show obvious changes for team that is adjusted but rather for their opponents. A test would be to turn this slider to 100 for all opponents of a team and then sim a season and check the stats for rush and pass yards. Then change the slider to 0 and repeat. The variation in the results would tell if this slider has an impact.

As I am too busy with papers and book chapters at this point to run this sort of test and test my player/cpu sliders post patch 3 I will not be performing this test. I will follow this thread to see what your results are. However, I think it is important to note that while you have found a good way to increase the offense (please post how) your balance of run and pass is not correct. I really believe the defensive run/pass slider might adjust running yards per season so I would suggest trying that.

Last edited by Oraeon1224; 09-13-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #58
Rookie

mAiLmAn 502's Arena

Well done bro. Going madd scientist on slider testing, i love it. 5 stars.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #59
Pro

Number 3 is not true (I tested even though I said I wouldn't). Adjusting this slider for all opponents has absolutely no impact on end of year rushing or passing statistics.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #60
Rookie

eamuscatuli15's Arena

OVR: 7

I played a game in my dynasty last night using these SLIDERS AND COACHING ADJUSTMENTS...played Nebraska (me) vs. idaho (cpu)...things seemed pretty good. huskers dominated as expected winning 38-6. it was a blowout early and then my offense got a little sketchy. tmagic suffered a stress fracture in his foot, and cody green was not that impressive in relief. Burkhead with 125 yds rushing and Helu with a long 57 yd touchdown run...

was wondering how these would play with two even teams...and man what a surprise. i used michigan vs. notre dame (cpu) and it was 17-0 Irish after the first quarter...then i simmed the rest cause it was 2:30 in the morning and i had to get up early this morning.

Will play another game or two with these to get a better feel, but the game and half i played last night was very fun!
NFL: Kansas City Chiefs
NCAA Football: Nebraska Cornhuskers
HS Football: Rolla High School Bulldogs '95 (12-1)

Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #61
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

A couple of interesting finds today.

I believe you're right, the sub slider seems to work for simmed games on defense. Significantly lower sack totals with this set high.

I was able to bring the QBR down to earth, but what's making me insane is the number of plays. Is it just me, or does it seem the CPU simply sims too many plays per game? I'm getting a couple of guys in the 715+ attempts per season, and at least 3 HBs with over 375 carries every season... again, not unrealistically high numbers, but unrealistically high number of players reaching these numbers.

I noted Minnesota with well over 700 passes, and checked the breakdown... right around 81% pass. However, the Gophers averaged 81 offensive snaps per game NOT including punts and field goals! (pass attempts /pass attempts + rush attempts... don't have to add sacks in the college game as they're included in the QBs rushing attempts) This seems to be the case with all of the really high numbers, though another problem is #2 backs not getting carries, even with sub slider high.

I think some of these we're simply going to have to live with. You're going to have several extremely high attempt QBs and HBs each season unless you squeeze everyone together. Thankfully, they're not breaking records left and right, just a lot more guys at the high end of the spectrum than in most season. There are 400+ carry backs most seasons, just not 3 or 4 every season.

As for the conversion of aggressiveness; a simple scale takes care of the issue fairly well.

On the left is whatever you set Defensive aggressiveness too for simmed games, on the right is what you change it too for played games. I highly recommend setting aggressiveness based on a combination of the talent of the defense and the defense's playbook.

85- 50
80- 45
75- 45
70- 40
65- 40
60- 35
55- 35
50- 30
45- 30
40- 25
35- 25
30- 20
25- 20
20- 15
15- 15

Based on the testing I did, in order to get realistic simulations out of the defense, the 4-3 should be relatively low, 4-2-5 a bit higher, multiple in the middle, 3-4 moderately high, and 3-3-5 Stack very high.

I put together a chart that combined the team's defensive grade and the playbook to give a 15-85 score for aggressiveness.

I would LOVE to base it on real life tendencies, but two problems. First, there really isn't much reliable tracking of how much college teams blitz and how many they blitz. Second, I'm honestly somewhat more concerned with the sim-engine factors than I am perfect recreation of college team tendencies.

I'm taking the same approach with the Run/Pass defensive slider. I'm basing it primarily on how good the teams are in zone or man rather than on team tendencies. I know, for example, that Notre Dame and Florida State both are running about 80% cover 3 this season, but that knowledge doesn't help me make the sim engine work, and having that information for 2 teams doesn't help me with the other 118.

So, rather, I'm basing that slider on how good the team's starting secondary is in man vs. zone coverage. Basically, take the combined totals of the 4 starters at MCV and ZCV, find the difference, sort the results by the difference, and set them from 15-85 in that order (15 being pure man, 85 being pure zone... which is odd since in real life if you wanna stop the run, you stay in zone so all eyes are on the backfield).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 09-14-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #62
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamuscatuli15
I played a game in my dynasty last night using these SLIDERS AND COACHING ADJUSTMENTS...played Nebraska (me) vs. idaho (cpu)...things seemed pretty good. huskers dominated as expected winning 38-6. it was a blowout early and then my offense got a little sketchy. tmagic suffered a stress fracture in his foot, and cody green was not that impressive in relief. Burkhead with 125 yds rushing and Helu with a long 57 yd touchdown run...

was wondering how these would play with two even teams...and man what a surprise. i used michigan vs. notre dame (cpu) and it was 17-0 Irish after the first quarter...then i simmed the rest cause it was 2:30 in the morning and i had to get up early this morning.

Will play another game or two with these to get a better feel, but the game and half i played last night was very fun!
I started my offline UGA Dawgs Dynasty with these coaching and game sliders, with all updates posted. Only thing I changed was QBA and WR to 35 for Human, I matched with CPU sliders. Was seeing way too many drops in testing. First two games:

1. ULL Cajuns at home: I dominated 52-7 as expected
2. South Carolina away: I won 24-17 in a classic defensive struggle, both sides had defensive touchdowns, both offenses had less than 300 total yards offense.
So far playing out like real life, ofcourse big difference in South Carolina game, is I had Playmaker AJ Green at my disposal, unlike like real life dawgs.
3. Arkansas up next.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #63
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
I started my offline UGA Dawgs Dynasty with these coaching and game sliders, with all updates posted. Only thing I changed was QBA and WR to 35 for Human, I matched with CPU sliders. Was seeing way too many drops in testing. First two games:

2. South Carolina away: I won 24-17 in a classic defensive struggle, both sides had defensive touchdowns, both offenses had less than 300 total yards offense.
So far playing out like real life, ofcourse big difference in South Carolina game, is I had Playmaker AJ Green at my disposal, unlike like real life dawgs.
3. Arkansas up next.
Beat Arkansas at home 35-26, had a kickoff return in 4th quarter to win, Mallet was on fire, threw for 400 yards, could not stop him, he finished with 72% completion rate.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
A couple of interesting finds today.

I believe you're right, the sub slider seems to work for simmed games on defense. Significantly lower sack totals with this set high.

I was able to bring the QBR down to earth, but what's making me insane is the number of plays. Is it just me, or does it seem the CPU simply sims too many plays per game? I'm getting a couple of guys in the 715+ attempts per season, and at least 3 HBs with over 375 carries every season... again, not unrealistically high numbers, but unrealistically high number of players reaching these numbers.

I noted Minnesota with well over 700 passes, and checked the breakdown... right around 81% pass. However, the Gophers averaged 81 offensive snaps per game NOT including punts and field goals! (pass attempts /pass attempts + rush attempts... don't have to add sacks in the college game as they're included in the QBs rushing attempts) This seems to be the case with all of the really high numbers, though another problem is #2 backs not getting carries, even with sub slider high.

I think some of these we're simply going to have to live with. You're going to have several extremely high attempt QBs and HBs each season unless you squeeze everyone together. Thankfully, they're not breaking records left and right, just a lot more guys at the high end of the spectrum than in most season. There are 400+ carry backs most seasons, just not 3 or 4 every season.

As for the conversion of aggressiveness; a simple scale takes care of the issue fairly well.

On the left is whatever you set Defensive aggressiveness too for simmed games, on the right is what you change it too for played games. I highly recommend setting aggressiveness based on a combination of the talent of the defense and the defense's playbook.

85- 50
80- 45
75- 45
70- 40
65- 40
60- 35
55- 35
50- 30
45- 30
40- 25
35- 25
30- 20
25- 20
20- 15
15- 15

Based on the testing I did, in order to get realistic simulations out of the defense, the 4-3 should be relatively low, 4-2-5 a bit higher, multiple in the middle, 3-4 moderately high, and 3-3-5 Stack very high.

I put together a chart that combined the team's defensive grade and the playbook to give a 15-85 score for aggressiveness.

I would LOVE to base it on real life tendencies, but two problems. First, there really isn't much reliable tracking of how much college teams blitz and how many they blitz. Second, I'm honestly somewhat more concerned with the sim-engine factors than I am perfect recreation of college team tendencies.

I'm taking the same approach with the Run/Pass defensive slider. I'm basing it primarily on how good the teams are in zone or man rather than on team tendencies. I know, for example, that Notre Dame and Florida State both are running about 80% cover 3 this season, but that knowledge doesn't help me make the sim engine work, and having that information for 2 teams doesn't help me with the other 118.

So, rather, I'm basing that slider on how good the team's starting secondary is in man vs. zone coverage. Basically, take the combined totals of the 4 starters at MCV and ZCV, find the difference, sort the results by the difference, and set them from 15-85 in that order (15 being pure man, 85 being pure zone... which is odd since in real life if you wanna stop the run, you stay in zone so all eyes are on the backfield).
Freaking A... for Awesome!

Adem, I've been busy with work the past few days. This is awesome.

I just want to make sure that those numbers are for Sim games...? and we are still going to stick with this scale for played games?

85- 50 (40)
80- 45 (40)
75- 45 (40)
70- 40 (35)
65- 40 (35)
60- 35 (35)
55- 35 (25)
50- 30 (25)
45- 30 (25)
40- 25 (20)
35- 25 (20)
30- 20 (20)
25- 20 (15)
20- 15 (15)
15- 15 (15)

The only suggestion I would make is lowering the top end to 40 as with 50 I have noticed blitz happy teams during the gameplay. My recommendations are in parenthesis.

Quote:

So far playing out like real life, of course big difference in South Carolina game, is I had Playmaker AJ Green at my disposal, unlike like real life dawgs.
3. Arkansas up next.
Glad you guys are having good games.

Quote:
Beat Arkansas at home 35-26, had a kickoff return in 4th quarter to win, Mallet was on fire, threw for 400 yards, could not stop him, he finished with 72% completion rate.
Doesn't it feel good to play a game and not feel like either side had any boost and then when you play a good game it makes it an even better of a feeling.

Last edited by chia51; 09-15-2010 at 02:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »