Home

Updated Coaching Sliders

This is a discussion on Updated Coaching Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #49
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Updated Coaching Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb24
Is it different for online dynasties?
You cannot change CPU coaching strategy in online dynasty.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #50
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Been testing all friggin' week:P Didn't realize someone had already been working on this. I'll post my observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
- Run/Pass, this is used for simming numbers. I have noticed though that teams will try to keep to the ratio from the start of the game... and then the ratio changes depending on what is working/not working.

I've found this works for both simmed and played games, though it's far more prevalant in simmed games. Over the course of a season, a team is almost always going to be +/- 3% from what you set this too.

Quote:
- Aggressiveness, after testing this is used for tweaking the sim numbers either plus or minus yards. This does not have an effect on whether or not teams fake punts/fgs or go for 2 pt conversions. It is hard to tell whether or not it has an effect in game, I do believe it does but would be unable to back it with any definite proof.
Setting this high will cause QBs to have a slightly higher number of yards per completion, but a slightly lower completion percentage and yards per attempt. This tells me that they're throwing more deep balls. In game, this means that when the computer calls a pass, it will more likely be a long pass. Looking at NCAA tendencies and statistics, I've found that the highest aggression should go to the Option teams, as they have a tendency to only throw when a lot of yardage is needed or they feel they have a shot at a big play.

I've seen no effect on running numbers whatsoever, but then, I haven't looked at that aspect very closely yet as I'm primarily trying to find a happy medium for simmed passing numbers.

Quote:
- Subs, you will see the teams with more depth (better players overall) play more players throughout the game, conversely you'll see the weaker teams playing their starters almost exclusively. (example: Florida has a bigger rotation of players than say New Mexico, due to the depth/quality of their players)
I don't think this slider works at all. Turned injuries off, set Notre Dame, Air Force, Akron, and Alabama to 85 on this slider, set ASU, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Army, and Auburn to 15. Simmed a season... the breakdowns were nearly identical.

I figure the best place to look for substitutions on offense was with the HB position, number of carries. Here's what I got for percentage of carries (only counted top 3 halfbacks in this number, so the percentages don't account for runs by FBs, QBs, or WRs)

Sub Setting: Team- Starter, backup
85: Notre Dame- 80%, 10%
85: Air Force- 86.1%, 9.5%
85: Akron- 87.0%, 6.9%
85: Alabama- 81.9%, 14.9%
85: Arizona- 89.6%, 6.5%
15: Arizona State- 90.2%, 6.1%
15: Arkansas- 85.1%, 11.3%
15: Arkansas State- 89.2%, 5.4%
15: Army- 87.1%, 8.1%
15: Auburn- 85.5%, 10.1%

Teams at 85 total- 85.8%, 10.0%
Teams at 15 total- 87.3%, 8.4%

As you can see, a fairly inconsequential difference.
(Note- anything short of 100% with each team went to the 3rd HB)

Now it's possible its only broken for independents and teams that begin with "A", but I doubt it.

Quote:
Quick hits about the defensive coaching slider changes:

- Run/Pass, this is for what type of defense will be called... stop the run or play the pass.

- Aggressiveness, how often a team will blitz, based of Oraeon's original findings, I re-looked at how often team blitz (more men then blockers = blitz ....for me) 35 is the high and 15 is the low... in my number crunching some teams come out lower than 15 but unfortunately EA does not let us go that low, conversely a team or two came out higher than that as well.

- Subs, you will see the teams with more depth (better players overall) play more players throughout the game, conversely you'll see the weaker teams playing their starters almost exclusively. (example: Florida has a bigger rotation of players than say New Mexico, due to the depth/quality of their players)
Defensively, I don't have enough information yet. Still testing. I know aggressiveness has an appreciable affect on in-game blitzing... I'm thinking we might be able to have two settings, one that's best for simmed games, one for played games. You'd simply have to adjust the team you're playing before and after to get the full effect.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #51
Rookie

eamuscatuli15's Arena

OVR: 7

Just wondering how everyone feels about these sliders? the work on the coaching sliders and such seems real strong, but what are opinions on the sliders? are they too easy to dominate cpu, or are they competitive?
NFL: Kansas City Chiefs
NCAA Football: Nebraska Cornhuskers
HS Football: Rolla High School Bulldogs '95 (12-1)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #52
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quick addition regarding defensive sliders.

I believe run vs. pass has no appreciable affect on the sim engine, while I think it covers zone vs. man bias in game play. Will test further.

Initial testing tells me that aggressiveness has a profound effect on the sim engine, but it's not as simple as "higher is better" or "lower is better". From what I've seen, and keep in mind I need to do a more thorough test on this, it seems better defenses benefit from being more aggressive, and lesser defenses benefit from being less aggressive. Fairly intuitive, but I want to see if there's an upper limit to the effectiveness of good defenses.

What I want to do is eliminate the 500 attempt, 1 interception quarterback and cut down on the number of 180+ QB rating seasons. The sim engine is pretty solid, but it seems there are a couple of guys having career years each season. Certainly not unrealistically great seasons in terms of QB rating, but just too many of them.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson250733
Arkansas doesnt run the 4-3 def they are a 4-2-5
Will get this changed. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37
Are the main- sliders set for Post Patch 3?
Yes post patch 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Been testing all friggin' week:P Didn't realize someone had already been working on this. I'll post my observations.
Adem, thanks for the look. I have been doing the same and will continue to as well. Thanks again.

Quote:
I've found this works for both simmed and played games, though it's far more prevalant in simmed games. Over the course of a season, a team is almost always going to be +/- 3% from what you set this too.
Yeah I have started to notice it more as I detail how many runs v pass I get in game with the score with 7, after the score changing + it throws the ratio off either by passing (if down) and vice versa.

Quote:
Setting this high will cause QBs to have a slightly higher number of yards per completion, but a slightly lower completion percentage and yards per attempt. This tells me that they're throwing more deep balls. In game, this means that when the computer calls a pass, it will more likely be a long pass. Looking at NCAA tendencies and statistics, I've found that the highest aggression should go to the Option teams, as they have a tendency to only throw when a lot of yardage is needed or they feel they have a shot at a big play.
Will look at option teams with high ratings and get some numbers and number diffs.

Quote:
I don't think this slider works at all. Turned injuries off, set Notre Dame, Air Force, Akron, and Alabama to 85 on this slider, set ASU, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Army, and Auburn to 15. Simmed a season... the breakdowns were nearly identical.

I figure the best place to look for substitutions on offense was with the HB position, number of carries. Here's what I got for percentage of carries (only counted top 3 halfbacks in this number, so the percentages don't account for runs by FBs, QBs, or WRs)

Sub Setting: Team- Starter, backup
85: Notre Dame- 80%, 10%
85: Air Force- 86.1%, 9.5%
85: Akron- 87.0%, 6.9%
85: Alabama- 81.9%, 14.9%
85: Arizona- 89.6%, 6.5%
15: Arizona State- 90.2%, 6.1%
15: Arkansas- 85.1%, 11.3%
15: Arkansas State- 89.2%, 5.4%
15: Army- 87.1%, 8.1%
15: Auburn- 85.5%, 10.1%

Teams at 85 total- 85.8%, 10.0%
Teams at 15 total- 87.3%, 8.4%

As you can see, a fairly inconsequential difference.
(Note- anything short of 100% with each team went to the 3rd HB)

Now it's possible its only broken for independents and teams that begin with "A", but I doubt it.
LOL on the last line... I have seen different outcomes to the subbing ratios.

Off the bat I did notice that the RB carries did not change much, but I did notice that in-gameplay subbing was "placebo effect may be in here" more prevalent on 3rd downs.

It certainly effects the defensive subbing as the sack numbers (individual) skew quite a bit with certain teams that have a higher rated starters and lower rated backups. When the subbing sliders was high with these teams the starter almost never broke a handful of sacks, while on the other hand they were usually hovering around 9 to 11.

Quote:
Defensively, I don't have enough information yet. Still testing. I know aggressiveness has an appreciable affect on in-game blitzing... I'm thinking we might be able to have two settings, one that's best for simmed games, one for played games. You'd simply have to adjust the team you're playing before and after to get the full effect.
Agreed on the two settings. 35-40 would be the high for gameplay, it cuts down on the all out blitz tremendously.

For the simming aspect, I will have to do further testing at higher numbers.

Quote:
Quick addition regarding defensive sliders.

I believe run vs. pass has no appreciable affect on the sim engine, while I think it covers zone vs. man bias in game play. Will test further.

Initial testing tells me that aggressiveness has a profound effect on the sim engine, but it's not as simple as "higher is better" or "lower is better". From what I've seen, and keep in mind I need to do a more thorough test on this, it seems better defenses benefit from being more aggressive, and lesser defenses benefit from being less aggressive. Fairly intuitive, but I want to see if there's an upper limit to the effectiveness of good defenses.
In game it definitely does have an effect on man v zone. It will be interesting to see how the r/p v agg plays out in different settings and what the correlation (if any) play a part in those two sliders.

Quote:
What I want to do is eliminate the 500 attempt, 1 interception quarterback and cut down on the number of 180+ QB rating seasons. The sim engine is pretty solid, but it seems there are a couple of guys having career years each season. Certainly not unrealistically great seasons in terms of QB rating, but just too many of them.
Agreed on this 100%.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 21

Update:

Arkansas now 4-2-5 defense.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 3

I am the commish of a dynasty starting year 2. Is there any way to get these in?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the work on the data.

I am going to start a dynasty to test some things. Is there a way to create say a 4 team offline dynasty and save the template after all this data has been entered and then re-use that dynasty template with another 4 teams.

IE, I want to play/test many different dynasties, but only have to enter this stuff in once. Any ideas?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »