Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #153
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Part of a National Letter of Intent (LOI) states that you give the school permission to use your likeness in promotional materials. NCAA games are promotional materials for the school, as such the players and their parents have signed over their likeness to the school. I don't know how Sam Keller's lawsuit hasn't been thrown out yet.
I gave up on this thread more or less, but having signed many waivers throughout my career I can tell you all that there is a difference between promotional material and a game sold for profit. Promotional material is an ncaa commercial or a magazine ad. Its not intended to generate revenue. For you guys that know music, the difference is comparable to that of a mixtape and a retail cd.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #154
Banned

OVR: 62

To which the schools say the added exposure of being in the video games is promotional because it is intended to attract prospective students. It isn't like the players aren't compensated, they get a free college education every year. So under the contract with the school we have a bargained for exchange, the school gives you an education in exchange for you playing football and letting them use your likeness to promote the school. It is a pretty sweet deal.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #155
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

mgovick - then how do you explain gameday programs that the schools put out on game day and sell for $10 a pop? Those are profit based merchandise just like the video games are. With probably a higher profit margin for the NCAA than the game. And they always have the best athletes for the school front and center on the magazine cover and everywhere in between.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #156
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgovick
I gave up on this thread more or less, but having signed many waivers throughout my career I can tell you all that there is a difference between promotional material and a game sold for profit. Promotional material is an ncaa commercial or a magazine ad. Its not intended to generate revenue. For you guys that know music, the difference is comparable to that of a mixtape and a retail cd.

How is being on the cover of EA's game different than being on the cover of Athlon Sports magazine or a Sports Illustrated? Do those magazines not make a profit?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #157
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
How is being on the cover of EA's game different than being on the cover of Athlon Sports magazine or a Sports Illustrated? Do those magazines not make a profit?
Compensation.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #158
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Compensation.
The school gets compensated? Don't the schools get compensated by EA's deal with the NCAA?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »