Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #73
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: EA Locker Rumor

I will concede I think the NCAA should pay the players the equivalent of a 40 hour a week minimum wage job. Across the board, 100% equally. From the Tim Tebows of college football to the Jane Does of the synchronized swimming team. But getting into an NFL-type payment system based on their "value" is an awful road to go down.

And in paying them that 'salary' like I suggest, the NCAA could then use it as a legal defense to the lawsuits over their likeness by in fact showing they get paid for their services. Of course the NCAA rules regarding paying athletes would have to change. And of course people would still howl about how the Tim Tebows of the world were getting "screwed" but it'd be worth doing nonetheless I think..
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #74
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I will concede I think the NCAA should pay the players the equivalent of a 40 hour a week minimum wage job. Across the board, 100% equally. From the Tim Tebows of college football to the Jane Does of the synchronized swimming team. But getting into an NFL-type payment system based on their "value" is an awful road to go down.

And in paying them that 'salary' like I suggest, the NCAA could then use it as a legal defense to the lawsuits over their likeness by in fact showing they get paid for their services. Of course the NCAA rules regarding paying athletes would have to change. And of course people would still howl about how the Tim Tebows of the world were getting "screwed" but it'd be worth doing nonetheless I think..
Why should they get 40 hours a week. They don't practice/play that much. Especially during the offseason. They could do it like a schools Work Study Program, which would make sense, and they'd be limited to 25 hours a week, which is likely about as much as they practice as is. The problem with that, is if you're near the max of financial aid (in which case you make quite a bit more than 40 hours at min. wage pay - trust me) you get less financial aid. That's doable though. They'd have to do that for all sports though, and then probably any program that gets any revenue outside of athletics as well. That could get real expensive, especially for smaller schools.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #75
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

I picked that number because that's the most anyone who is a student would realistically work. As for the small schools, perhaps you could say that this rule would only apply to colleges where the revenue from the sports program is xxxx number of dollars..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #76
Rookie

aimiami's Arena

OVR: 21

sam kellner just sued them because he couldnt manage to win a game a nebraska against a decent team...has to take the anger out somewhere
Minnestoa Vikings
cubs, rays
01 Miami
http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#...442:1245035641
check out my other teams
http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#...:1;web:1;sku:2
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #77
Rookie

aimiami's Arena

OVR: 21

plus i dont see why the cant use players name? they could give a small % of the profits to the school
and evreyone knows the players so dont give me BS about that
Minnestoa Vikings
cubs, rays
01 Miami
http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#...442:1245035641
check out my other teams
http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#...:1;web:1;sku:2
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #78
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

you may be onto something aimiami...why not donate a % of the profits from the game into a scholarship fund that is distributed to all of the schools in the game?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
you may be onto something aimiami...why not donate a % of the profits from the game into a scholarship fund that is distributed to all of the schools in the game?
Not very sure about that but heard is the management problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
mgovick - so you're cool with the synchronized swimming team losing their scholarships? You're cool with most of the baseball team players losing theirs as well? If we're going to compensate based on revenue they provide then probably 90% of sports in college would be shut down. That argument makes absolutely zero sense.

And the backups who never play do contribute to the team but my point was that they don't hit the field and generate revenue. No one tunes in on Saturdays to see see a backup QB holding a clip board and calling in plays. Sure it's important to the team but it's irrelevant in terms of revenue dollars.

I think you need to go back and re-think your arguments..
True but I'm pretty sure a ton of Broncos fans are tuning in on Sundays to watch a certain backup QB hold a clipboard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »