Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: EA Locker Rumor

one of my buds that plays for texas got to cash out a ****load of grant/scholarship money, almost 4k worth lol, whenever i played ball i always cashed out as well, but not near as much, loved gettin that money in
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #66
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgovick
You are creating a scenario that supports your claim. At most bcs schools there is more than enough money to go around after the athletic dept. takes their share. There is a surplus after the revenue is allocated to all of the programs in the athletic department. Lets say Hypothetically EA had to pay players some sort of royalty for using their likeness, that would go to the players.

Its pretty apparent that you have never played a D-1 sport. I think your argument would be alot different if you had.
My point is pretty simple. The ncaa is a joke. I love college sports, but not the ncaa. Because of amateurism the ncaa can do what the nfl cant.

Actually, odogg if i made a shirt with your face on it and sold a million of them and you didnt get a cent from them, what would your reaction be?

and for everyone else, its cool to be in the game alot of kids i know get off on it. Im not against that, i just think that the players should get a lil sumtin sumtin.

Sales would drop atleast 30% if the players were random.
Now you're creating a scenario to support your claim. A more apt scenario is if you made a T-Shirt with 1000 people on it, and ODogg was one of them after knowingly signing a waiver allowing a group to use his likeness, and they made a million dollars off it, would he be upset about not getting a cent of it.

Okay though, how do you determine who gets paid how much? Do you pay the players on some sort of scale, or do you pay them evenly across the board, backups, starters, stars and all. It's a slippery slope. If you are truly great, you'll get your payday soon enough. The amateur status of college sports is important and needs to be maintained. Otherwise it is NFL minor, and what's the point of having them go to school. No matter how much money a student play makes, none of the students get a cut. If you want to play professionally, and make money playing footall, go play in Canada or the Arena League until you are eligible for the NFL. Basketball players have started doing it, and going to Europe. If you want money, go pro. College football already gives them more exposure than any minor league ever could, helping a possible NFL career, not to mention you will be playing for some of the best teachers of football in the world to help your game. No one forces these kids to play College Football.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #67
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson88
If you were paying for my entire college education? I wouldn't care. With a good college education, the value isn't just the face-value from the immediate benefits. You also have to take into account of what the benefits are over the course of your lifetime by having that education (like being a college graduating helping make you 1mil+ more than you would otherwise over the course of your working career).

Theres no way that your typical bcs level football player is getting the same college education/experience as everyone else at their school. To assume so is extremely naive. They are not afforded the same quality of education. There are obviously outliers. Like I mentioned in my previous post you have schools like stanford, northwestern, and vandy etc. and players like myron rolle. Most of these kids are pushed towards majors like kinesiology and gen ed. If you were to take a look at a breakdown majors/ concentrations at bcs schools and compare the enrollment of non athletes to athletes in various majors you would see that there is a higher concentration of athletes in "easier" or athletically oriented majors. Ill use harvard as an example. Its like the majority of the undergrads are at harvard college while a few are at the extension school. both are harvard university schools that offer undergrad degrees, yet there is a disparity in the level of education and academic standards.

Also these guys dedicate a minimum of 20 hrs a week to football, so they are not afforded the opportunity to do much outside of the classroom. Many would agree that much of the college experience and education comes outside of the classroom. For many of the athletes theres not much to translate when it comes time to hit the real world because there job was to play football and make money for the school.

Also if these kids are receiving adequate (scholarship/ stipend) compensation for their services why are there countless accounts of robberies, taking money under the table, drug dealing?
if they were getting that scrilla then they wouldnt have to resort to such measures.

but yeah I'll sell a million shirts with your face on it, and provide you with a subpar education. Deal.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #68
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah but perception and reality are two different things. The reality is it may be the student's issue once they sign that waiver but we all know the perception would be that the NCAA was just abusing the poor student-athlete like always.
I blame the media for that.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #69
Rookie

jolson88's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Theres no way that your typical bcs level football player is getting the same college education/experience as everyone else at their school. To assume so is extremely naive. They are not afforded the same quality of education. There are obviously outliers. Like I mentioned in my previous post you have schools like stanford, northwestern, and vandy etc. and players like myron rolle. Most of these kids are pushed towards majors like kinesiology and gen ed. If you were to take a look at a breakdown majors/ concentrations at bcs schools and compare the enrollment of non athletes to athletes in various majors you would see that there is a higher concentration of athletes in "easier" or athletically oriented majors. Ill use harvard as an example. Its like the majority of the undergrads are at harvard college while a few are at the extension school. both are harvard university schools that offer undergrad degrees, yet there is a disparity in the level of education and academic standards.

Also these guys dedicate a minimum of 20 hrs a week to football, so they are not afforded the opportunity to do much outside of the classroom. Many would agree that much of the college experience and education comes outside of the classroom. For many of the athletes theres not much to translate when it comes time to hit the real world because there job was to play football and make money for the school.

Also if these kids are receiving adequate (scholarship/ stipend) compensation for their services why are there countless accounts of robberies, taking money under the table, drug dealing?
if they were getting that scrilla then they wouldnt have to resort to such measures.

but yeah I'll sell a million shirts with your face on it, and provide you with a subpar education. Deal.
Definitely some valid points you got there . But I don't think it's any different from students who work 20-40 hours/week of a real job to pay for college and still get a good education. 20 hrs/week is no excuse. However, colleges pushing the student athletes into sub-par majors is definitely a problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #70
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The plus side of being a PS3 user is that this is a non-issue.

Hopefully both consoles will add USB file transfer support for Next Gen.
360 recently added USB support via a system update.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 AM   #71
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
If players want to get paid, they should just go pro. I know they are required to attend college for two years first, but that's the NFL's rule.
no they're not the only requirement is that their high school graduating class is three years removed. Eric Swann was a first round draft pick and never attended a day of college.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

You are neglecting a key issue: they are provided with football training as well.

The value of football training + general education = The value of that player.

I think you're overstating the valuation of each individual player. Many players are a commodity; I would take a 3-star senior under Brian Kelly over a 5-star high school recruit any day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »