Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #49
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
prowler - but that is the point, the scholarship and other perks are compensation. Compensation is a form of payment. It may not be cold, hard cash in hand but then services are rendered every day in the world for other services. That's effectively what's happening here. The universities are providing their teachers and classrooms free of charge to the student-athletes who will in turn make money from their degree and the student-athletes are providing their skills on the field free of charge for the university who will in turn make money on the use of their likeness.
I agree, we're on the same side of the coin in this situation and I made this exact same argument. But according to the court docs, scholarship vs player likeness is apples and oranges.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #50
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
prowler - but that is the point, the scholarship and other perks are compensation. Compensation is a form of payment. It may not be cold, hard cash in hand but then services are rendered every day in the world for other services. That's effectively what's happening here. The universities are providing their teachers and classrooms free of charge to the student-athletes who will in turn make money from their degree and the student-athletes are providing their skills on the field free of charge for the university who will in turn make money on the use of their likeness.
The truth is that the above the table compensation players receive is not nearly comparable to the revenue that they generate for a school. Their status as student-athletes prohibits them from truly earning any sort of supplemental income.

The whole degree and scholarship argument doesnt resonate with me. I have a good number of friends from high school that play D-1 football and basketball. I myself play a non major sport. The fact is that outside of a handful of bcs schools (stanford, vandy, northwestern etc) the "student" part is an afterthought. Most of these kids get degrees in Kinesiology or general studies. Outside of coaching or something athletic related their options are quite limited after college. The schools are using them to generate revenue, and are not pushing them in the classroom or giving them much to work with after graduation.

Ea locker is not really the issue. The larger issue is player likeness. Hopefully it sets a precedent beyond the game, ie player compensation, bcs/ playoff.

Compensation doesnt have to be something immediate. It could for instance be a trust that a player can cash in after they graduate or stop playing. Hopefully it could effect the bcs system as well.

A while ago I came a across an article regarding a playoff system and how the talks broke down with one question. Derrick Brooks asked "whats in it for us[the players]".
The powers to be just dont give a damn about the players, beyond how they can profit off of their talent.

Furthermore keller does have a legitimate case.

"Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that the players in the game are so similar to the players in real life that no one could possibly say with a straight face that EA and the NCAA aren't using the athletes' images. Take the case of Kent State running back Eugene Jarvis:
Jarvis is 5-foot-5, weighs 170 pounds, wears number six and is a redshirt junior from Pennsylvania. In EA's NCAA 2009, the Kent State running back is 5-foot-5, weighs 170 pounds, wears number 6 and is a redshirt junior from Pennsylvania.
Reading that description, does anyone doubt that EA and the NCAA are making money off Jarvis's image? If not, why shouldn't EA and the NCAA have to compensate Jarvis, the way pro athletes are compensated when they appear in video games?"

there was also a similar suit with former nfl players.

"Other athletes have successfully sued over the right to profit from their likenesses, including a group of retired N.F.L. players who sued their union for allowing Electronic Arts to use their identities in Madden NFL without compensating them. In November, a jury awarded more than 2,000 retired players $28.1 million. The award was reduced to $26.25 million in a settlement."
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #51
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The plus side of being a PS3 user is that this is a non-issue.

Hopefully both consoles will add USB file transfer support for Next Gen.
I believe they already have. It wasn't a problem pre-EA locker. I used Xchange360 for my rosters for 2 years.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #52
Rookie

mgovick's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
And one more thing, everyone tends to think of the Tim Tebows and Troy Smiths of the world in regards to how it's "unfair" to the student-athlete that the university is "only" giving them a tuition which amounts to less than those players would make if they were playing professional football....but what people forget is that those players are the rarity.

How about all of the backups that never even play a down in college football? Are they ripping off the university? They're getting the full scholarship and related perks but they aren't even on the field on Saturdays.

Or better yet, how about the student-athletes who are on full scholarship who play sports that don't even break even? How about all the female swimmers who swim on full scholarship when hardly anyone comes to the swim matches? Or how about the small school lacrosse team backup player?

People should realize that the scholarships thing may appear a bit skewed in regards to football because it's the most popular sport and there are huge stars but the universities have this program set up all across the board for both men and woman covering multiple sports. And not all schools even have successful football programs either.

Think about that next time you hear the argument of "Tim Tebow should have gotten paid when he was at UF"....does that mean the backup QB at Duke should be playing for free? Or for the way Duke football is, perhaps the players there should be paying the university??

First of all backups prepare the starters for saturdays. The impact of the backups is not directly apparent on saturdays, but the starters would not be as effective on saturdays without the backups assistance throughout the week. A common example of this happens when a team with less than mobile qb's is preparing for a spread team with a dual threat qb. A speedy scout team player is usually utilized during the week to prepare the first team defense for a look that they dont usually see.

smaller sports are not really relevant on this thread beyond the fact that big money sports provide the revenue for them to operate. There shouldnt be an issue with compensation for athletes on teams that dont break even because they dont generate enough revenue to have any sort of return anyway.

My point is that everyone profits off of the players except for the players. Their compensation should be in relation to the revenue they generate.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #53
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

If players want to get paid, they should just go pro. I know they are required to attend college for two years first, but that's the NFL's rule.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 10

Keller can go kill himself for all I care it is absolutely bs...I know if I played college football it would excite me to know that I am in the game. I guess thats what happens to players who can't cut it in both either the real world or the NFL.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #55
Pro

Bolt957's Arena

OVR: 14

That Keller dude gets on my nerve. I mean whats the point of suing a game company over using your "likenesses" in a video game. What a jerk. It's Just a Game! Maybe EA Sports needs to change their slogan from "It's In The Game" to "It's Just a Game." lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

mgovick - so you're cool with the synchronized swimming team losing their scholarships? You're cool with most of the baseball team players losing theirs as well? If we're going to compensate based on revenue they provide then probably 90% of sports in college would be shut down. That argument makes absolutely zero sense.

And the backups who never play do contribute to the team but my point was that they don't hit the field and generate revenue. No one tunes in on Saturdays to see see a backup QB holding a clip board and calling in plays. Sure it's important to the team but it's irrelevant in terms of revenue dollars.

I think you need to go back and re-think your arguments..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »