Home

NCAA 14... One of the best football games??... Ever??

This is a discussion on NCAA 14... One of the best football games??... Ever?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NCAA 14... One of the best football games??... Ever??

I think the game is a classic and one of the best of all time. Put appropriate sliders on there, start dynasties, build cellar teams to champions, the recruiting, its just so in depth it is unbelievable. So much fun to take on the role of head coach and build a low team up to competing and eventually win the national championship. After I did this with Wake Forest, that sealed the deal for me as the game being one of the best.

Now I started a new dynasty with one of the teams I downloaded from team builder that someone from OS made. Youngstown State baby!!!

The other iteration of the game I remember fondly is either 04 or 05 that had a particular feature in game where you could ramp up the stadium sound and the controller would shake. Depending on how much this happened it could severely hamper the opposing offense or yourself. Anyone else remember that? That was really fun!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlducks
This game is so good I am tempted to buy a XBOX360 or PS3 just to have it. I have a ps4 right now but miss college football so much. Madden just blows.
I still have my PS3, its main use is just for NCAA 14. It is worth it, get it. Also doubles as netflix\hulu\amazon\vue if you have it. I also have a PS4, lol. Ironically, because NCAA is on PS3 I find myself playing that console more than the current gen.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #27
Rookie

airraid73's Arena

OVR: 0

If someone told me there's a new ncaa17 or whatever for 120 bucks for PS4 or xb1, I would have no doubt I would buy it ,NCAA far the best for me. I ll go to work thinking about a recruit that I'm excited about and I'm excited about starting him over a senior that's what I love about NCAA game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #28
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by airraid73
If someone told me there's a new ncaa17 or whatever for 120 bucks for PS4 or xb1, I would have no doubt I would buy it ,NCAA far the best for me. I ll go to work thinking about a recruit that I'm excited about and I'm excited about starting him over a senior that's what I love about NCAA game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, there are some things about the game that are fun... but there are so many problems that it blows my mind that they could release a game like this. For example...

1: Time Of Possession - I play 15 minute quarters and always win the T.O.P. battle like 45 minutes to 15, 46 to 14 and have had games against teams that run no huddle where I will win 50-10 or 51-9. That's insane.

2: Drive Charts - Football is easy. You have a field that is 100 yards long. If you begin a drive at say... the 12... and score, then that's an 88 yard drive. Yet EA will always have it wrong. They'll say you went 81 yards or 82. Why???

3: 0 yard TD's. This is one of the most frustrating things... guys will actually have TD's and get 0 yards for them. Even if the ball is at the one inch line, it's considered a one yard TD in real life. Also, I had a game the other night where my guy had the ball in his right hand and was running to the left pylon... his feet both went into the end zone and the ball was in his right hand, so it was in the end zone too. Yet they called him down at the one. I challenged and lost. Next play I scored. My QB was credited with TWO TD passes instead of one. When you can't even program the game correctly... good Lord...

4: Back to Time Of Possession - The reason I win so drastically is because the game is made for 5 minute quarters, EA never imagined people would play 10, 12 or 15 minute quarters, so they didn't program the game to take length of quarters into effect.

There are many other problems with this game, keeping it FAR from being the greatest ever. It just blows my mind that a company could be so narrow minded and not think of how many people play differently than those who play 5 minute quarters.

Here's hoping that a brand new college game is made and it's not made by EA!

Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #29
Rookie

jgthedon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Yeah, there are some things about the game that are fun... but there are so many problems that it blows my mind that they could release a game like this. For example...

1: Time Of Possession - I play 15 minute quarters and always win the T.O.P. battle like 45 minutes to 15, 46 to 14 and have had games against teams that run no huddle where I will win 50-10 or 51-9. That's insane.

2: Drive Charts - Football is easy. You have a field that is 100 yards long. If you begin a drive at say... the 12... and score, then that's an 88 yard drive. Yet EA will always have it wrong. They'll say you went 81 yards or 82. Why???

3: 0 yard TD's. This is one of the most frustrating things... guys will actually have TD's and get 0 yards for them. Even if the ball is at the one inch line, it's considered a one yard TD in real life. Also, I had a game the other night where my guy had the ball in his right hand and was running to the left pylon... his feet both went into the end zone and the ball was in his right hand, so it was in the end zone too. Yet they called him down at the one. I challenged and lost. Next play I scored. My QB was credited with TWO TD passes instead of one. When you can't even program the game correctly... good Lord...

4: Back to Time Of Possession - The reason I win so drastically is because the game is made for 5 minute quarters, EA never imagined people would play 10, 12 or 15 minute quarters, so they didn't program the game to take length of quarters into effect.

There are many other problems with this game, keeping it FAR from being the greatest ever. It just blows my mind that a company could be so narrow minded and not think of how many people play differently than those who play 5 minute quarters.

Play 15 min quarters but chew clock. Think you'll have better games
Old 12-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #30
Rookie

I don' t know if I'd say best, but its the one I've had the most fun playing. Its because the recruiting process is so streamlined but still so engaging, and of course it's so much more fun to seek out the right guys to run your system, or have to adjust your system to match your guys since you can't change your roster. I liked NCAA 12 too but this one has better graphics and recruiting. The only major things I don't like are the lack of injuries (can be mitigated with roster edits, at least for your team) and that the QBA slider is pretty all or nothing. I have to play at 5 for it to be a challenge, but you can pretty much only complete screens and curls as lob passes until you get hot, then you can complete everything.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #31
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death

1: Time Of Possession

2: Drive Charts

3: 0 yard TD's

4: Back to Time Of Possession

Although I respect that these are major issues to you, this is a pretty weak list IMO. I cannot speak to Madden games, but '14 is far and away the strongest college football game, and I've played them all. '14 does not have any "fatal flaws" that are a significant detriment (examples would be CPU inability to run the ball, bad pursuit angles, jump the snap, overdone momentum, to name a few). '14 does a solid job on all of the fundamentals that matter to me, so I'm satisfied.

As to the time of possession issues, yes it is often unbalanced, but in my experience it doesn't prevent the CPU from providing a sufficient challenge, nor does it result in unrealistic game stats. I do include the t.o.p. in my stats that I log for each game, out of habit, but for all practical purposes it can just be ignored.

But, for kicks, here are the t.o.p. results for my most recent, consecutive games I've played:

CPU won t.o.p. 19:21 to 16:39
I won t.o.p. 22:23 to 13:37
I won t.o.p. 20:56 to 15:04
CPU won t.o.p. 18:52 to 17:08
I won t.o.p. 22:28 to 13:32
I won t.o.p. 21:48 to 14:12
t.o.p. virtually even 18:06 to 17:54
I won t.o.p. 22:39 to 16:49
CPU won t.o.p. 18:21 to 17:39
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »