Home

2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games

This is a discussion on 2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: 2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games

We know that 2k cannot make an NFL licensed game that is simulation. That much is clear. The question is whether or not 2k can make a game without the NFL branding, but uses the NFL players that is simulation gameplay.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some wording somewhere to make sure that avenue was shut for 2k also, but we don't know for sure. There will be plenty of speculation until everything is finally announced.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
We know that 2k cannot make an NFL licensed game that is simulation. That much is clear. The question is whether or not 2k can make a game without the NFL branding, but uses the NFL players that is simulation gameplay.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some wording somewhere to make sure that avenue was shut for 2k also, but we don't know for sure. There will be plenty of speculation until everything is finally announced.
So basically the "Madden 64" situation (for anyone who remembers that game - licensed by the PA but not the league. so the Pats were "Foxboro"* for example)?

If they were gonna do that I couldn't really see them chasing after the NFL license in the first place though - it would mean they're creating two games.

*The full city name didn't fit in the team name string back then I guess, so they shortened it

Last edited by bcruise; 07-31-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is what I think will happen, 2k will release a "Card/Mobile" game none of us here will care about and either an NFL Street type game and/or an actual 11v11 that will lack just enough elements to call it an NFL simulation.

EA may have the rights to making an NFL simulation. But they don't have the right to simulation football. There are other football games out that are considered could be considered simulations. I think they could do something as simple as not having the players in equipment and playing in non-NFL stadiums.

I'm just thinking of options because the term 'simulation' by definition is the imitation of a situation or process. That's too broad.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #44
Rookie

If 2k could make a sim football game with NFLPA wouldn't they announce that?
Old 07-31-2020, 04:33 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray_iv_m3rcy
If 2k could make a sim football game with NFLPA wouldn't they announce that?
In my opinion, not if there's a contract that says they can't do that. However, it doesn't mean they can't simulate the sport. I'm probably wrong, but if they did something like made the field 50yds, changed the amount of downs per possession, the distance to a 1st down, etc, it changes the game from an NFL simulation because those aren't NFL rules.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
So basically the "Madden 64" situation (for anyone who remembers that game - licensed by the PA but not the league. so the Pats were "Foxboro"* for example)?

If they were gonna do that I couldn't really see them chasing after the NFL license in the first place though - it would mean they're creating two games.

*The full city name didn't fit in the team name string back then I guess, so they shortened it
I agree. If they wanted to do a Madden 64 type game, then they could have just went after NFLPA license only. They could have saved millions from not having to pay for NFL License.

I feel the consensus is that either is keep expectations low(Playgrounds) or try to find loopholes for best case scenario(APF or 7-on-7) . I'm sure NFL has given them strict guidelines of what they can and can't do and will probably have to submit updates what 2k is doing for approval. But at the same time, worse case scenario NFL Playgrounds and a mobile card game. As J-Posse said earlier, does that move the needle for 2k and is it worth it for 2k? NFL Playgrounds and a mobile game isn't going to sell well and be profitable for 2k unless they fill them with appealing microtransactions. Couldn't find exact numbers, but original NBA Playgrounds sold just over 500k copies. I don't see NBA Playgrounds 2 selling much more than that. I don't see WWE Battlegrounds selling that well since the WWE 2k series was selling poorly last few years. I don't see 2k investing and spending so much money on NFL license just to put out a Playgrounds game.

As others said, if they can't find a loophole for best case scenario, then I think a NFL Street esque game would be okay if they can include a Park like online and a solo offline experience. I would be supportive of a NFL Street esque game if it still feels like Football
Old 07-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

I don't anticipate them doing that, but some are speculating they may go down that route along with an NFL Playgrounds type of game. I think we're getting NFL Playgrounds and that's it, but we'll see.

― Plato
Old 07-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #48
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

beau21's Arena

OVR: 24
2K Partners with NFLPA to Allow NFL Players in Multiple Football Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
Would a legends game (using old retired players) be allowed to be a simulation under the deal?

This has been my hope.
Seems safe to assume 2k will not be making a NFL branded current roster football game.

I’m not sure however, with the licenses they now have, if a legends / historic teams game w real NFL logos and uniforms would be allowed. Would be an evolution of APF 2k8 but with real rosters and NFL logos.

I would eat that up. I realize it’s much harder to pull that off in football vs basketball (way more players) but I love all the historic teams in NBA2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »