Home

Diary of a Head Coach (@ IGN) Part 2

This is a discussion on Diary of a Head Coach (@ IGN) Part 2 within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27
Diary of a Head Coach (@ IGN) Part 2

http://sports.ign.com/articles/710/710969p1.html

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Diary of a Head Coach (@ IGN) Part 2

I really don't like what I'm reading in this article. Here are a couple of concerns:

Quote:
Another thing I notice while scrolling through my roster is that none of the players I drafted on day two are anywhere to be seen. I see Huff, Sims, and Pope on the depth chart but as I look on every screen imaginable, my other guys aren't there. Very strange. I've actually now been looking on every screen for over 20 minutes and can't find them. It's like they all got busted for drugs and left for the CFL. I keep digging and finally find the draft picks on the free agent list. It seems my Rams roster is already full (they don't expand your roster for training camps or even the preseason), so instead of signing my rookies, it kicked them to the free agent list without even enabling me to retain their rights. Very confusing. At least I finally found them, and luckily, right before the action really starts.
Ok. I can live with this...for this year.

Quote:
First down and goal with 23 seconds left. I call for Quick Outs…incomplete. 2nd down. I call HB Smash and Jackson dives in for the touchdown. 14-14. The Colts get the ball back with only 19 seconds left to play and decide to run out the clock.

All of a sudden the stats screens appear and I'm given a tie. A tie!?! What the hell happened to overtime? Next thing I know I'm back in my office looking at the computer and when I look up the Rams record, it says 0-0-1 (by the way, it took 45 minutes to coach a game in case you were curious).
Now this game is starting to get scary.

Quote:
Another strange thing about the game, this was the preseason and both teams had their starters in all four quarters Manning playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game where he was getting the snot sacked out of him? I don't think so.
EVEN MADDEN CPU AI subbed out CPU players in the pre-season! Why can't this game do it...made by the same company!

Quote:
I called EA to find out the answers and these aren't bugs. There is no overtime in preseason games in Head Coach (although overtime works during the regular season), and the computer won't substitute in backups during the preseason, even if it means risking an injury to someone like Manning.

Very strange considering this is supposed to be a hard-core sim based on the NFL. How these simple things were left out boggle my mind.
Now it's starting to get ridiculous. A game that I was looking forward to is starting to make me reconsidering getting Madden again this year.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I wouldn't be TOO concerned Dice. Yes those are some interesting problems but if remember this is the first year for this title. I'm sure those issues will be resolved in year two.

Other then those problems this game sounds very promising. I really enjoyed reading the account of the Indy/STL game.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I wouldn't be TOO concerned Dice. Yes those are some interesting problems but if remember this is the first year for this title. I'm sure those issues will be resolved in year two.

Other then those problems this game sounds very promising. I really enjoyed reading the account of the Indy/STL game.
But we are buying the game this year. I don't know many people who buy a game knowing it has major bugs because they will get fixed the following year.

I love the idea of a Head Coach style game, but I have zero trust in EA sports. I predict this game will disappoint when all is said and done.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Well, as noted in the article it's not a bug it's just oversights on EA's part.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
"Another strange thing about the game, this was the preseason and both teams had their starters in all four quarters with Manning playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game where he was getting the snot sacked out of him? I don't think so.

I called EA to find out the answers and these aren't bugs. There is no overtime in preseason games in Head Coach (although overtime works during the regular season), and the computer won't substitute in backups during the preseason, even if it means risking an injury to someone like Manning. "

BOOOOOO.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
T*mpl* *wls

ballerzinc's Arena

OVR: 13

The preseason thing doesn't really matter to me a lot. I doubt other than the first year I'll be playing all the preseason games. What I think stinks is we have to schedule where we can sign free agents and trades.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Pro

GboroKidd's Arena

OVR: 9

I didnt think there was OT in Madden pre-season games either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »