Home

Community feedback: is this a buy?

This is a discussion on Community feedback: is this a buy? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #17
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Community feedback: is this a buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heshi
This game is not as good as it could and should be. There are nice ideas, but too many flaws gamplay-wise. You may know about the gamechanger feature, for example. The game will ask you to go for it on 4th and 7 on your own 26 yard line with 12:22 to go in the first quarter - because you're behind 3-0. Be unlucky, and three of these gamechangers make your approval drop below 50 despite a winning streak.

Many things have no effect on the game at all. If your media approval drops, just don't care about it. There is no media (interaction) in this game. Well, there is NFL Network. Adam Schefter keeps throwing information at you like "An NFL team is negotiating a new contract with one of its players", "The NFL offensive player of the year had an outstanding season", and more. The NFL world you live in never comes to life.

Same with player personalities. There are very detailed player personalities, but they hardly have any effect on the game. Besides contract negotiations and showing emotional reactions on game day, there's almost no interaction with your players at all. There are a couple more things in this game that pretend to be deep and challenging, but seem to be more like placebos.

Navigation just plain sucks. Example: If you enter negotiations with a free agent, you can not see his player card. You have to remember the FA's name, go into Rosters - Free Agents - look for him and check him out, then go back and enter negotiations if you still want to. Just one out of many examples.

The only idea that I really like is the scripted draft with handcrafted rookies and fake college seasons. That's different, and in my opinion a great idea.

All in all: This game is improvised. You see it everywhere. There are some good ideas, and this may go the right direction one day. People around OS love it because they have waited for such a game forever. But just the fact that it is the only one of its kind doesn't make it a great game. Compared to coaching sims in other sports, NFL Head Coach is way behind.
dude this is the 2nd attempt at this game. the first one just sucked big time. and i will disagree with you the navigation is easy to use. this game is by far better than the 1st and will continue to improve IMO if they make it on a regular basis.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcdragons
The game is great fun, engrossing. Sure it has its glitches and I've played enough hours to see the majority LOL. However, its got to be by far and away the best on the market. If it doesnt get supported now by sales from us guys then development could stop and that would be a major shame. How many other game developers do you know who communicate so actively with their customer base? Our posts get read and these guys make things happen. I'll plead with you to buy it. Heck, do you want me to stump up the cash for you too?!?!
LOL, no worries I bought it yesterday! But if you want to still stump up that ca$h, well my wife would appreciate it no doubt!

So far, I have enjoyed myself. I bought the guide and I'm trying to just figure stuff out. I played a Coach Now game and really enjoyed it. I'm a terrible sticks guy, so calling plays and watching it unfold is great fun to me.

I understand there are flaws, but point to me a sports game that hasn't had them. It seems the most important things work pretty well, the rest I can live with.

Again though, I really appreciate the feedback!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Banned

double post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor
The game is not perfect, but it is a ton of fun to play and I'd recommend it as a must buy if you like a supersized franchise mode with all the bells and whistles
Another +1 on this!

Totally engrossing and immersive...most fun I've had with an NFL title, ever....warts and all. NFL2K5 is right there with it.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 9

This game is so great that I truely believe anyone that doesn't like it is either an idiot or a soccer fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #22
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

It's a Black Hole on my gaming time.

just.....one......more......game........woohoo! I win!

just......wanna......check......injuries.....for.. ..the....next....week....

And so it goes.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
It's a Black Hole on my gaming time.

just.....one......more......game........woohoo! I win!

just......wanna......check......injuries.....for.. ..the....next....week....

And so it goes.
OMG...yeah...let me save and then...just check the FAs...ok, i'll go just up to the day of the game then save...ok, just this game and then its bedtime...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish
OMG...yeah...let me save and then...just check the FAs...ok, i'll go just up to the day of the game then save...ok, just this game and then its bedtime...
You feel me exactly, brother. This crap goes on till 2-3 am on WORKNIGHTS!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »