Home

***The Official OOTP Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official OOTP Thread*** within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2018, 01:54 AM   #833
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: ***The Official OOTP Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I couldn't make up my mind on which idea to start with first, so I decided to combine my earlier plans and do a historical franchise starting in 1999 and then expand it manually by adding my Carolina Blue Sox and the Los Vegas Aces to the league via expansion.

Got the teams info, looks, and stadiums all set up mostly how I want them. I was getting too obsessive on details like weather, projecting the market/fan support (and related budgets), and setting park factors that I had to stop myself. I want to dive in and start the expansion draft, so I'll flesh that stuff out more over time.

Time for the draft!
I've been looking for different Carolina/Charlotte expansion team options...never heard of the Carolina Blue Sox...nice. I'm still deciding on which cities for expansion. I was going to do a team in Anchorage, AK (not realistic at all, but I liked the idea) but the logo/uni set I had was Anchorage Eskimos and I didn't want to get into hot water with pejorative or questionable names and have a Redskins/Indians problem built into my team. lol

We will have to compare expansion drafts at some point.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #834
All Star

OVR: 8

Ordered on Steam so today is the first day I can play, and of course I have things to do tonight . Hopefully tomorrow will have some free time!

How does everyone handle their trades? One of the issues I had in OOTP 18 was the AI trade logic was just very flawed. The AI would offer me trades like 2 mid level prospects for Freddie Freeman, and I always felt like I had to pay double what he was worth in order to pry a guy from another team (can't think of any examples at the moment). I did leave all settings to default, but I'm not sure what gives the most realistic setting.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #835
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Ordered on Steam so today is the first day I can play, and of course I have things to do tonight . Hopefully tomorrow will have some free time!

How does everyone handle their trades? One of the issues I had in OOTP 18 was the AI trade logic was just very flawed. The AI would offer me trades like 2 mid level prospects for Freddie Freeman, and I always felt like I had to pay double what he was worth in order to pry a guy from another team (can't think of any examples at the moment). I did leave all settings to default, but I'm not sure what gives the most realistic setting.
The AI is going to see if you'll make the trade the same way you'll likely try to get Freemam-like player for less.

You turned the two mid level prospects down the same way the AI would.

To me a realistic trade engine isn't one where the AI automatically offers you fair value. It's one where they try to get the most for the least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #836
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
The AI is going to see if you'll make the trade the same way you'll likely try to get Freemam-like player for less.

You turned the two mid level prospects down the same way the AI would.

To me a realistic trade engine isn't one where the AI automatically offers you fair value. It's one where they try to get the most for the least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I agree that a realistic trade engine won't make a balanced trade at the onset. However, that's not what I'm saying. I'm talking about asking for an A level player while offering 2 C level players as a starting point. If that were to be the initial offer in real life then it's just insulting and doesn't give any incentive to continue negotiations. A realistic engine should make an initial offer that favors the offering team, but is appealing enough to the other team to enter into negotiations. Not only that, but even if I did try to make a trade work it always seemed I had to pay 2x or 3x the price for a player. Like giving up

I'm guessing this is a problem with the default settings. Looking at some of the entries in the Franchise Progress thread for OOTP19 there were some reasonable trade offers that people reported. Even if they had to overpay a bit in certain situations they were still getting organizational value in return.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #837
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think a big part of the trading would be your settings. Did your settings have prospects highly regarded? Did your ratings have production valued more? I could easily see the AI offering a trade like that the beginning if you have your trades set to favor prospects and the prospects they are trying to ship to you are tearing it up increasing their value even more over their overall rating. I'm not saying there are not issues, but I do think some settings play into the AI trade offers quite a bit.

― Plato
Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #838
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

I'd also add that we never hear about the offers that GMs laugh off due to being unfair. We only hear about the ones that go through. I bet there are lots of instances where a GM initially proposes something and the other GM laughs his *** off. Then, maybe they start to negotiate.

Think of that initial offer from the cpu as a starting point. Actually, the trade I made for Jarrod Dyson and posted in the Franchise thread a couple of days ago is a good illustration of how the final deal can look a lot different than the initial offer. It went from me taking on salary and losing a prospect to me gaining cash and not losing a prospect.

EDIT: My settings were on difficult (so 2nd hardest level) and favor prospects (2nd most slanted level toward prospects).

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 03-23-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #839
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I'd also add that we never hear about the offers that GMs laugh off due to being unfair. We only hear about the ones that go through. I bet there are lots of instances where a GM initially proposes something and the other GM laughs his *** off. Then, maybe they start to negotiate.

Think of that initial offer from the cpu as a starting point. Actually, the trade I made for Jarrod Dyson and posted in the Franchise thread a couple of days ago is a good illustration of how the final deal can look a lot different than the initial offer. It went from me taking on salary and losing a prospect to me gaining cash and not losing a prospect.

EDIT: My settings were on difficult (so 2nd hardest level) and favor prospects (2nd most slanted level toward prospects).
My thoughts exactly.

The trade offer opens negotiations. I really don't want a Trade AI that offers me exactly what I'm looking for in an initial offer. I'm not even sure what that would look like since everyone values different things
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #840
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Very impressed with OOTP19, as the last time I bought it was in 15, and wow have they came a long way since then. I definitely made the right decision, to go with OOTP19, instead of MLBTS this yr. I always knew OOTP was better from the standpoint of depth, and realism, when ti came to stats, and just the overall management side of things, whether it be playing as a manager or GM of a team, compared to you console baseball. But that 1 on 1 feel of pitcher vs batter, I loved, and MLBTS does a great job of that, but as a hard core baseball nut, and being OCD about stats, and the depths of MILB, and rookie ball, and foreign leagues, really intrigue me. Plus being able t go back to my childhood, and play a franchise starting in the 70's, with the Big Red Machine, is amazing. And being able to actually watch the plays being made out in the field, now, instead of it just being a bland text sim, was just too much, to pass up. Heck I may never go back to MLBTS now, as I see my PS4 might be reserved for NBA2k only from now on, and when I bought it, I bought it for MLBTS,lol.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »