Home

Following the Flock: My 2K Decision

This is a discussion on Following the Flock: My 2K Decision within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 27
Re: Following the Flock: My 2k Decision

I hate to pile on with the criticism of the writing, but at the end of the article I think the word you are looking for is imminent and not immanent.

Imminent means that something is inevitable or looming and immanent is used in a philosophical or religious context. It basically means inherent.

Here is a website that outlines the difference:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/eminent.html

On a side note it came off as irresponsible journalism to me that someone would write an article that took a negative stance on a video game, but not actually play the game. People read the articles on this site because they are assuming that the people writing the articles are well informed about what they are writing about (i.e. ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAMES THEY ARE WRITING ABOUT). If you wanted to write an editorial about the sports game industry in general and write about "circumventing the machine" I would be totally fine with that, but it seems that mentioning games you haven't actually played shows a glaring lack of research. I know most of you guys probably aren't professional journalists by trade so I will cut you some slack, but I honestly think you guys may need a strong revising process. Somebody needs to edit not only for grammatical errors and typos, but actually look at the content of the article. I'm in college, I'm an English major and I write papers every day. I'll be the first to say that I am not a perfect writer (probably not even a great writer), but I do know a thing or two. Behind every good writer is a good editor who can tell what is wrong with a piece and knows how to fix it. Find a good editor and you will see the quality of the articles increase immensely.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Following the Flock: My 2k Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbsinator
On a side note it came off as irresponsible journalism to me that someone would write an article that took a negative stance on a video game, but not actually play the game.
Unfortunately the old Maddenm - I mean the new OS seems full of opinion that may get misconstrued as journalism. I'd guess like IGN or any of these other gaming sites, they're full of people no different than you or I with their own preferences or biases but without the need to adhere to certain journalistic standards. I don't mind the opinion pieces as long as there's some sort of balance. Seeing the somewhat consistent negativity being directed towards MLB2K8 while we get it's-okay-to-cross-our-fingers-and-hope opinions on the only choices we have for the football games seems out of whack.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »