Home

You know what really grinds my gears?

This is a discussion on You know what really grinds my gears? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2024, 03:56 PM   #24433
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: You know what really grinds my gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Moneymaker
I coach HS Basketball, and the amount of people who think it's okay to shout obscenities/insults towards coaches and players is unbelievable. Some people have no idea of what boundaries are.

Earlier this year, the other coaches and I had to stop two guys from walking in the locker room to 'confront' the HC after one of our losses.
I've been asked several times to get licensed to ref soccer because they have a shortage of refs in my area and people know that I know the sport. The only thing that has stopped me so far is that I'd have to start out at younger age levels, and I have no desire to deal with overbearing parents.

It's honestly easy money that would likely lead to doing HS/college games in a few years, and I think that could be kind of fun.

But getting yelled at from the sidelines for a call in a U10 or U12 game? Ehhhhh, not sure it's worth it.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:52 AM   #24434
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I've been asked several times to get licensed to ref soccer because they have a shortage of refs in my area and people know that I know the sport. The only thing that has stopped me so far is that I'd have to start out at younger age levels, and I have no desire to deal with overbearing parents.

It's honestly easy money that would likely lead to doing HS/college games in a few years, and I think that could be kind of fun.

But getting yelled at from the sidelines for a call in a U10 or U12 game? Ehhhhh, not sure it's worth it.

I used to ref youth soccer for $5 a game, it was brutal, can't imagine reffing youth academy matches that actually matter
Old 03-23-2024, 07:55 AM   #24435
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

My brother has been coaching his daughters teams the last few years and when it comes to picking players for his teams (the city where we live usually has enough girls in each age level to to field 3 and 4 teams) he told me during evaluations all he considers are the parents. He would rather have kids he can work with instead of prima donna parents. There are better players on other teams but none of those teams have the chemistry my nieces teams have.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #24436
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
Why can't people leave it with "I'm sorry for your loss" when dealing with the loss of a loved one?

I don't need to hear, "If you need me for anything, just holler." I haven't seen or heard anything from you in the last 3-5 years, and now suddenly, you want to act like we're best friends? It comes off as insincere and trying to make themselves look good.

Or "I know what you're going through." No, No, you don't. You may have lost a family member in the past, but I don't care about that at this particular time. It just screams that they are trying to make it about themselves, even though I know most of the time, it's coming from a good place.

My personal favorite is the people who have no filter and feel the need to discuss what exactly happened injury-wise to your uncle who just tragically died in an accident. I don't need to know the grisly details. I can take one look in the coffin and get a pretty good idea of what happened, judging by the amount of makeup and a veil over the coffin to try and soften his facial features and discoloration. They had actually discussed doing a closed casket, but my aunt decided to have an open one. In one way, I understand. We all needed closure. On the other, it looked nothing like him.

Maybe I'm just raw emotionally from the past week after I lost my uncle. While I talked to my father and older brother about it (they both knew where I was coming from), I just needed to jot these thoughts down somewhere "on paper."

I'll close this out by saying never miss an opportunity to tell your loved ones you love them. You never know when that last time will be.
Sorry for your loss.

My wife and I just had four people in our families die within a year of each other.

Some people just get nervous about what to say when someone dies that is close to you.

I don't recall many classes or course in HS or college that taught anything about death,

grief, etc....

It appears to be one of those taboo subjects.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #24437
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Sorry for your loss.

My wife and I just had four people in our families die within a year of each other.

Some people just get nervous about what to say when someone dies that is close to you.

I don't recall many classes or course in HS or college that taught anything about death,

grief, etc....

It appears to be one of those taboo subjects.
All I need to know, I learned in kindergarten. And they didn't go over the subject of dying there either.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-29-2024, 06:41 AM   #24438
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

So after the gym I go to buy a Powerball ticket for the next drawing (yes, I know the math, let me dream ) and at two different gas stations they couldn't sell me one because the computer wouldn't allow it.

Don't know who is in charge of it, but don't tell you won't sell me a ticket today because it is Good Friday and it is a form of gambling or at least gambling-adjacent. So my money is good any other day of the year, but today you grow a conscience? Get the **** out of here.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:41 AM   #24439
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Never heard of that lol you might’ve got the run around lol
Old 03-29-2024, 10:49 AM   #24440
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Never heard of that lol you might’ve got the run around lol
I buy every week and I've never heard of that happening either, lol.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »