Home

Where Were You on September 11th 2001?

This is a discussion on Where Were You on September 11th 2001? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #129
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Where Were You on September 11th 2001?

was a sophomore at Penn State and just got out of my morning physics 2 class. I see a huuuuge crowd acroas the street at.the HUB...( Student center building). People were glued to the tv and were in shock....then the 2nd plane hit and the panic set in and a lot of crying girls ensued......very surreal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #130
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I was in 8th grade and my mom was driving me and my sister to school. We were listening to some radio station and the radio peeps started talking about it during the traffic/weather segment or whatever. They said something about a "plane crash that hit the Pentagon building." I honestly thought nothing of it. The way they were speaking of it, it honestly sounded more like it was a malfunctioned plane that happened to crash at that specific site (also a building I wasn't super familiar with). As far as what I heard, they made no mention of the World Trade Center.

I honestly didn't know what the World Trade Center was, building-wise. I think I had heard of the twin towers? Not sure. I know what the buildings looked like, but that was neither here nor there.

I arrive at school, and my friend runs up at me all excited (he's into war stuff, or at least PC FPS war games) and is like, "Dude, did you hear about the terrorist attacks?" I honestly didn't even put two-and-two together for a while, honestly for me the day was business as usual. They made announcements later in the day regarding it, but even still the impact was just... nothing. I had no visual, and no clear understanding of what was going on.

Then I got home that day, and CNN was obviously running it all day. Since they had already collapsed at that time, I was able to see moments of the building, smoke, and collapse as well. Frightening, bone-chilling, and completely unforgettable.

I never saw any videos of the planes hitting until I watched United 93. That movie really is special in encapsulating exactly how the day might have gone, and I appreciate Mr. Greengrass for doing that. It's a day that will truly be engraved in all of us, no matter who we are, who we know, where we were, or what we were doing.

I always have moments in my life that are just truly uneventful, and things like that always make me put myself in others' shoes, having a moment of "Is this really happening?" I can't imagine what certain people went through on that day, especially ones who lost their lives. What a tragedy. It is still an important day in this nation though, and it really has brought us together more strongly than ever.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #131
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Senior at Auburn. My dad called and told me what was happening and I turned on the tv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #132
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

I was young, preschool but I remember it clearly.

I lived in a suburb of NYC. I have an image fixed in my brain of smoke coming from the towers as I was being driven to school. School was cancelled—not that my mom would have kept driving me there.

That still picture, just smoke coming from the towers, is my earliest memory.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #133
Rookie

maizeblue13's Arena

OVR: 8

Preschool. Dont remember a thing
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #134
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

OVR: 6

I was about 3 and my mom was taking me and my little sister to a doctor's appointment. My dad then called and said the WTC had been attacked.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #135
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

A senior in college. I was in statistics class. I got out and was driving to my apartment and it was all over the radio. I called my mom and she told me what had happened.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #136
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

I was one year out of college and living in a house with my college roommates.

Anyway, I had gone out the night before was dead asleep when one of the roommates busted in my room and said "We are under attack! TWO planes hit the WTC!" I figured he was blowing smoke up my rear so I rolled over to go back to sleep. Then about 15 min later he came back in and said he was serious and that the news thought it might be a terrorist attack. Everything felt so weird and we kept looking at the sky after hearing another plane was possible heading to the Pentagon. Some of my roommates who worked during the day came home because many businesses were closing. Then when the building fell and we saw it live on TV not a word was uttered and we just sat there in silence.

We were glued to the TV all day and then went out again that night where the normal dance bar we went to showed CNN all night long. Since I was in between jobs at the time I watched CNN all night for a few weeks and will never forget all the wall of pictures of lost loved ones and people begging the camera for help finding them.

It's my generation's JFK moment. The only thing I can compare it to in terms of Where Were You? is when the Challenger blew up and I was in 3rd grade watching it live at school.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »