Home

Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2022, 04:03 AM   #785
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
If you can. I'd advise everyone to invest in Aaron Judge. His **** has tripled in about a month. If not more.

If he breaks the Yankees home run record. His stock is gonna hit astronomical heights. Bowman chrome refractor rcs psa 10s are already reaching 600$ Topps not far behind. Most cards that have a auto on it will probably be in the 1k range if he gets there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Or grab a 2017 Topps Update hobby box for less than $250 on eBay. Those will skyrocket too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #786
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Or grab a 2017 Topps Update hobby box for less than $250 on eBay. Those will skyrocket too.
2017 was when I got back into dabbling chasing the Judge rookie. His card cooled off as the chase turned to Otani, Tatis, Guerrero, etc, and gobbling up his cards on the low was possible. This is the long game fun of this hobby: projecting. The thought I had was how pricey it can be to start the chase afterward, but it can be fun too.

Last edited by Hammerhunker; 08-05-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #787
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
2017 was when I got back into dabbling chasing the Judge rookie. His card cooled off as the chase turned to Otani, Tatis, Guerrero, etc, and gobbling up his cards on the low was possible. This is the long game fun of this hobby: projecting. The thought I had was how pricey it can be to start the chase afterward, but it can be fun too.
This is why I like prospects. Bowman has always been my favorite set and always keep all my 1st Bowman cards because you never know. I buy guys here and there. But the issue is now, everyone is moving into prospecting, so finding some of the higher projected talent is a lot more expensive than it used to be. So much so, that probably 95% of these guys' cards aren't gonna be worth the cardboard they are printed on in two years.

This hobby is fun, but for investing purposes, it's not the best imo. I've come to a point where I just collect for fun. I buy who I like and think may be good if they are affordable. Right now I'm buying Andres Gimenez and Josh Naylor. Got Naylor's Topps Chrome rookie auto refractor for $7, and a Gimenez Finest rookie green shimmer /99 auto for $18. Both those guys cards are going up. I also like to rip so I buy boxes when I can and I get what I get and I'm happy with it. I used to get mad if I didn't get a good hit out of say a $150-200 box, but now I'm just like well that's a beautiful card even though it's a nice looking Mitch Keller auto.

I would also recommend buying on Paul Goldschmidt, and Albert Pujols. They don't get much love in the hobby, but Pujols' cards are gonna go up when he goes into the hall, and Goldschmidt cards I think are gonna keep going up slowly because he has a shot at the HOF if he keeps up his current trajectory.

Last edited by PVarck31; 08-05-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #788
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
This is why I like prospects. Bowman has always been my favorite set and always keep all my 1st Bowman cards because you never know. I buy guys here and there. But the issue is now, everyone is moving into prospecting, so finding some of the higher projected talent is a lot more expensive than it used to be. So much so, that probably 95% of these guys' cards aren't gonna be worth the cardboard they are printed on in two years.

This hobby is fun, but for investing purposes, it's not the best imo. I've come to a point where I just collect for fun. I buy who I like and think may be good if they are affordable. Right now I'm buying Andres Gimenez and Josh Naylor. Got Naylor's Topps Chrome rookie auto refractor for $7, and a Gimenez Finest rookie green shimmer /99 auto for $18. Both those guys cards are going up. I also like to rip so I buy boxes when I can and I get what I get and I'm happy with it. I used to get mad if I didn't get a good hit out of say a $150-200 box, but now I'm just like well that's a beautiful card even though it's a nice looking Mitch Keller auto.

I would also recommend buying on Paul Goldschmidt, and Albert Pujols. They don't get much love in the hobby, but Pujols' cards are gonna go up when he goes into the hall, and Goldschmidt cards I think are gonna keep going up slowly because he has a shot at the HOF if he keeps up his current trajectory.
My son and I have a cardbox where we put all rookie and project cards, whether it be Bowmans or the regular series cards. Now the fun is going through the box and [b]discovering[b]those that made it, sort of speak. We don't rip packs to make money, we do it for the joy of discovery and the what ifs.

My joy in collecting really is completing vintage sets. My favorite was completing the '74 Topps baseball set that was around 75% pulled by the 6 year old me. Not a mint collection by any means, but chalked full of memories.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #789
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
My son and I have a cardbox where we put all rookie and project cards, whether it be Bowmans or the regular series cards. Now the fun is going through the box and [b]discovering[b]those that made it, sort of speak. We don't rip packs to make money, we do it for the joy of discovery and the what ifs.

My joy in collecting really is completing vintage sets. My favorite was completing the '74 Topps baseball set that was around 75% pulled by the 6 year old me. Not a mint collection by any means, but chalked full of memories.
That's a really good idea. I had a pretty cool surprise. I ripped some bowman packs in 2017 when I was at my moms house for a little while. When Acuna blew up I thought I remembered I pulled one of his cards but I wasn't sure.

When I got back up there for a vacation I looked through those cards. And yep there it was and it wasn't just a base. It was a rc refractor of /499. I was pretty floored. I don't know how I overlooked it the first time. Acuna was obviously a major prospect. I immediately put that thing in a protector.

One of those rare times where negligence turned out to be fun.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #790
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
So this is a big problem. Fake autos. Topps has admitted it as well. Obviously signed by the same person, and neither auto looks anything like the actual auto looks from the players.

Can you imagine paying $2,000 a box and you get this?

Here's the link of the video where this is discussed. https://youtu.be/u775D_7UW78

Hey PJ, have you or anyone else noticed some people are taking autographed cards, specifically from the 90's, and trying to find a similar colored marker to add in fake numbers like "3/25" when you know damn well those cards were not hand numbered? I have caught this on eBay a few times, and although I never checked the sale results, or if they did, I imagine a few people have been tricked into buying a $25-30 card for over a 100 because they thought it was a SP. Not only that, but it ruins a good card otherwise. Lots of creeps in this hobby. Especially the ones who weigh packs, or the "pack perverts" who damage cards by feeling them for thickness.

Anyway, I still love collecting though. I'll post some of mine on here later when I can take pics. Just noticed the thread again so I want to scroll through, as I always enjoy seeing what everyone has.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 08-27-2022, 02:34 PM   #791
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
Just got the whole 1987, 1988, and 1989 sets for $45 along with the Thunder 1998 set.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Love that set, so many great Rookies. Maddux too, and I think even Will Clark, no? Very iconic, and the Bo Jackson FS card should be a must have for everyone. Nice buy my dude!

EDIT: My b, Clark was the year before.
It makes me sad
I post the frog

Last edited by baumy300; 08-28-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #792
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
Not mine, but got to open this for someone today and I've never been so jealous

Oh wow... A 1/1 too.... Wow. Sick pull, that card is a beauty!
It makes me sad
I post the frog

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »