Home

Any businesses owners here ? (Former or aspiring )

This is a discussion on Any businesses owners here ? (Former or aspiring ) within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Any businesses owners here ? (Former or aspiring )

Good thread. I hope this gains some traction. I've wanted to open a side business up that rents out lawn games (washers, giant jenga, cornhole, etc). I have or could make all the sets myself, but I have no idea if there is any public interest, and filing for an LLC seems like more trouble than it's worth for what little money I'd probably end up making.

My girlfriend thinks it's the dumbest idea ever, but if I was throwing a Saturday afternoon party I think it'd be cool if I could rent a Giant Jenga set and some cornhole/bags boards.

--

My girlfriend's dad has been in the process of opening a food truck. It's been interesting to say the least hearing about the details of it all.

Last edited by SuperBowlNachos; 04-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
Good thread. I hope this gains some traction. I've wanted to open a side business up that rents out lawn games (washers, giant jenga, cornhole, etc). I have or could make all the sets myself, but I have no idea if there is any public interest, and filing for an LLC seems like more trouble than it's worth for what little money I'd probably end up making.

My girlfriend thinks it's the dumbest idea ever, but if I was throwing a Saturday afternoon party I think it'd be cool if I could rent a Giant Jenga set and some cornhole/bags boards.

--

My girlfriend's dad has been in the process of opening a food truck. It's been interesting to say the least hearing about the details of it all.
A co-worker was thinking of doing a food cart on the side and it's intense.

You need licensed places to prepare the food, the rules on trucks are crazy, it's a lot of effort. He ended up passing on it.

I'm kinda against food trucks now cause the food's not really that much better and you pay like twice as much at a restaurant cause the food's out of a truck? No value for me.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I'm kinda against food trucks now cause the food's not really that much better and you pay like twice as much at a restaurant cause the food's out of a truck? No value for me.
I'm not anti-food truck, but I avoid them as a planned lunch/dinner. There is a place in Dallas called Truck Yard which does it well. Big outdoor bar area and 3 trucks park inside. Then again there is also beer so it's usually a snack for later on. The Great Food Truck Race show is pretty cool though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

--

I think its a good idea, gotta give it a try. Get a hold of party planners who are already in the business and see if you can throw your idea at them and if that is something they'll rent from you. Being in Texas, you would think that the events would be endless.

As far as your gf thinking your idea is dumb, that's something I went through before I left the states. My brother and sister, cousins, friends were pretty negative of me going to the Philippines since I don't speak the language and were scared we were wasting our time and money since none of us ran a business before.

Thats why you surround yourself with people in the same mindset as you. I'm friends with other entrepreneurs and its amazing when we get together because we just throw ideas at each other left and right. Some of them are far fetched but then something clicks and you can't stop thinking about and how you can make it work.

I hope we can do the same in this thread and help each other.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 04-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike
I think its a good idea, gotta give it a try. Get a hold of party planners who are already in the business and see if you can throw your idea at them and if that is something they'll rent from you. Being in Texas, you would think that the events would be endless.

As far as your gf thinking your idea is dumb, that's something I went through before I left the states. My brother and sister, cousins, friends were pretty negative of me going to the Philippines since I don't speak the language and were scared we were wasting our time and money since none of us ran a business before.

Thats why you surround yourself with people in the same mindset as you. I'm friends with other entrepreneurs and its amazing when we get together because we just throw ideas at each other left and right. Some of them are far fetched but then something clicks and you can't stop thinking about and how you can make it work.

I hope we can do the same in this thread and help each other.
In here defense I come up with some pretty dumb ideas

Before it exploded in Dallas and other places, I did have the idea that having delivery services that will go and pick up fast food/non-delivering places for you would be genius. Obviously many people had the same idea with a lot more skill to execute it.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
I'm not anti-food truck, but I avoid them as a planned lunch/dinner. There is a place in Dallas called Truck Yard which does it well. Big outdoor bar area and 3 trucks park inside. Then again there is also beer so it's usually a snack for later on. The Great Food Truck Race show is pretty cool though.
Yeah, I love the show, and am not completely anti-food truck....but just doesn't make sense to me...food from a truck doesn't make it worth twice the amount.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

My dad opened a small business in 2001. It didn't work out as it was right around 9/11 and people didn't really buy much that year for Christmas. I had a hobby where I made flags out of pins and beads and those did sell pretty well after my mom convinced me to sell them at the store. They were easy to make and I enjoyed it.

My dream is to open a made in America store. Maybe one day after I get out I'll do it. I made my wife promise me if I died while I'm in the military she'd open it up with my life insurance money.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Any businesses owners here ? (Former or aspiring )

One of my buddies and I go back and forth on business ideas. We were brainstorming industries to disrupt months ago and we got to talking about charity and how many take a cut off the top. Having played for Extra Life for the past 5 years where all proceeds go directly to the hospital of choice, I knew it was possible to start something up that didn't take a percentage out for themselves.

My buddy ran with it and has gained traction as a grassroots movement in our community. He's been featured on the front page of the local paper and has partnered with local businesses to donate excess materials. They've donated over 5000 individual items in just the last 3 months. Toys, blankets, personal hygiene items, coats, etc.

I help out when I can but it's his project and I'm cool with that. It's not really a moneymaker, just a source of pride as we work to connect businesses with other reputable charities in our community to spread as much love as we can. But it's been really cool seeing it from an idea months ago to the newspaper, events, and chronicling it via social media any time they make a big drop off of items.

Just goes to show you anyone can do it, you just gotta go out and do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »