Home

Which do you think is better: Madden 06 or Backbreaker?

This is a discussion on Which do you think is better: Madden 06 or Backbreaker? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Which do you think is better: Madden 06 or Backbreaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I got more out of Madden 06 than I expect I'll get out of BB.
only time will tell. Some love tecmo football games get more from an arcade game than from a sim.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
only time will tell. Some love tecmo football games get more from an arcade game than from a sim.
No, it won't, as I am already back to playing my Madden 10 franchise over BB in the limited time I have for any games during the week. I am already playing Madden 10 again more often than BB. I played Madden 06 until 07 came out.

I'll probably have gotten more out of Blitz: The League than I will out of Backbreaker, and I stopped playing that altogether after a couple of weekends.

I play football games for a good game of real football, not for pretty tackles. BB is nice to look at, but it's an arcade football game for the most part and as a result will have very limited appeal to people who like realistic traditional football games.

Last edited by mestevo; 06-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

I'm going to say this... BB as a total package is better than Madden 06 for sure. I'll also go further and say that it's better than Madden 08 as well which was one of the most broken football games ever made.

After seeing BB's animations it's hard to play Madden now. I went back and played Madden 10 and it felt terrible. I think I'm a believer now in having a physics-based engine for Madden. Part of that may be because in Madden 10 you see some strange tackles like the swing-down tackle that happen WAY too often. But just the fact that the tackle variety is so high and unpredictable in BackBreaker makes you want this badly for Madden. It really would be a game-changer for Madden in the collisions department. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in NHL 11, because I imagine that if all goes well we'll see it in Madden 12 or 13.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 06-04-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 6

You cant even compare the 2 games. Madden 06 was the first football game on next gen. Hate or love madden or david O, they did as much as they could do at the time. They had to learn a entire new console in such a short amount of time. They has to find out what the 360 could do, then find out how to do it...Imo no nxt gen sports game was good until 08 for the reason above (not saying madden was but just talking bout every sport)...... Now Backbreaker was working on a system that everyone already figured out what it could do, and they knew how to do it by the time they started making BB...They took 3 years to make it. So now you guys know that you cant compare these 2 games..Im no fanboy for madden or BB, I didnt have a 360 when 06 dropped, but the fact that backbreaker has around the same number of adjustments in game as madden 06 is kind of sad...But BB physics own madden 11 and maybe even 12
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
You cant even compare the 2 games. Madden 06 was the first football game on next gen. Hate or love madden or david O, they did as much as they could do at the time. They had to learn a entire new console in such a short amount of time. They has to find out what the 360 could do, then find out how to do it...Imo no nxt gen sports game was good until 08 for the reason above (not saying madden was but just talking bout every sport)...... Now Backbreaker was working on a system that everyone already figured out what it could do, and they knew how to do it by the time they started making BB...They took 3 years to make it. So now you guys know that you cant compare these 2 games..Im no fanboy for madden or BB, I didnt have a 360 when 06 dropped, but the fact that backbreaker has around the same number of adjustments in game as madden 06 is kind of sad...But BB physics own madden 11 and maybe even 12
I see where you're going here, but I have to disagree on the basis of one key part... to my knowledge, the team as a team that created BB never made a full game before on the 360, they just granted licenses to use their technology in various games. Moreover, they never made a football game before which by itself is a totally different and more complex animal. I doubt they pulled in a bunch of people who already knew everything it took to make a football game, so they really were starting fresh. You also have to consider that this team is much smaller than the team that worked on Madden 06. I've heard BB's team being as small as 10 people or a little less, but it would explain why it took 3 years to develop. I was told by Madden devs that the team that worked on Madden 06 were closer to 100 people.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 06-04-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I'm going to say this... BB as a total package is better than Madden 06 for sure. I'll also go further and say that it's better than Madden 08 as well which was one of the most broken football games ever made.

After seeing BB's animations it's hard to play Madden now. I went back and played Madden 10 and it felt terrible. I think I'm a believer now in having a physics-based engine for Madden. Part of that may be because in Madden 10 you see some strange tackles like the swing-down tackle that happen WAY too often. But just the fact that the tackle variety is so high and unpredictable in BackBreaker makes you want this badly for Madden. It really would be a game-changer for Madden in the collisions department. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in NHL 11, because I imagine that if all goes well we'll see it in Madden 12 or 13.
I'd agree if your normal football game had 10 turnovers with 5 minutes quarters, comparing Backbreaker to any Madden game is like comparing Tiger Woods to Hot Shots Golf. Pretty tackles and somewhat realistic physics (the players have no weight, only momentum) are only the tip of the iceberg in what it takes to make a realistic football game. As a result, Madden 06 wins the comparison that the OP has proposed. If you prefer blitz style gameplay, then you will surely prefer Backbreaker.

Everytime my RB grazes an OL and then falls down lifeless as a result I wonder why I am still playing this game.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
I'd agree if your normal football game had 10 turnovers with 5 minutes quarters, comparing Backbreaker to any Madden game is like comparing Tiger Woods to Hot Shots Golf. Pretty tackles and somewhat realistic physics (the players have no weight, only momentum) are only the tip of the iceberg in what it takes to make a realistic football game. As a result, Madden 06 wins the comparison that the OP has proposed. If you prefer blitz style gameplay, then you will surely prefer Backbreaker.
But that depends on what you're comparing. My comparison is based on the foundations of the products. I think most would agree that the disaster that was Madden 06 is hard to call a strong starting foundation. I agree that BB has a number of issues, but I think their starting point is stronger and it's impressive just due to the small size of their staff.

I haven't had the turnover problem with BB that you mentioned, but I had that in Madden 08. I'll never forget the unlimited fumble problem. I'll never forget or forgive EA for that one, it ruined my entire 2007 season (well, that and the 100 other problems that Madden 08 had).

Quote:
Everytime my RB grazes an OL and then falls down lifeless as a result I wonder why I am still playing this game.
I haven't had that happen to me yet, but rememer in Madden 06 a guy could hit you from yards away--without ever touching you--and you went down? LOL. Now that was beyond awful.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 06-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Having played nearly a decade in every Madden franchise mode since the late 90s and sorely disappointed I'll probably completely lose interest before complete ting a season in Backbreaker, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Backbreaker just doesn't play a good game of football. The technology is enticing, but they'd have done better by just going further over the top and not tried to ride the sim/arcade line. This is all before the massive fail that the franchise modes are, even with all features of both of the modes combined into a single franchise mode it would still be far from complete.

So disappointed with what this game could have become, and what we actually got. It's a good thing that a majority of the people that buy Madden this year will never have heard of it, it will have saved them the hope/disappointment.

Comparing 'foundations' is pretty silly though, Sony's only made 2 consoles guys, we should be comparing the PS3 to the SNES.

If there's a BB2 in 2 years, that's going to be compared to Madden 07 I take it? What a laugh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »