Home

What's The Best Football Game Ever?

This is a discussion on What's The Best Football Game Ever? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #57
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: What's The Best Football Game Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I just got in on the $1.00 NFL Fever 2004 deal on ebay. I'm looking forward to trying out the "Read 'n Lead" passing. The guy in this video claims it's the best passing system ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eALSNYDha4U

I'd like to see more videos like this of old games to give modern day devs ideas.

Also, NCAA 08 (original XBOX) is selling for $30 on ebay so it must be pretty good.
Very underrated game.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #58
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge380
Very underrated game.
Which one - Fever or NCAA?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #59
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

My bad, Fever.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #60
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Also, NCAA 08 (original XBOX) is selling for $30 on ebay so it must be pretty good.
Yeah NCAA 08 on Original XBox is amazing. Make sure you turn on "Auto Strafe" if you get 08 on Original XBox.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
Yeah NCAA 08 on Original XBox is amazing. Make sure you turn on "Auto Strafe" if you get 08 on Original XBox.
Why turn it on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #62
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
If I remember correctly this was the game that wasn't even announced for XBOX but they put a few out anyway. The people who happened to see it sitting on a Best Buy shelf were the few to own a copy, so that's why it's still expensive.

I found 2 vidoes of the game on youtube. I hope this is Human vs Human because much of the tackling looks ret@rded. Otherwise it looks pretty cool but high scoring. Was there off/def balance with slider adjustments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bq64...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8D4...eature=related

Last edited by swaldo; 08-30-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #63
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavonBrown
Why turn it on?
It makes defenses defend the run better. One of the major complaints about NCAA Football 08 on Original Xbox when compared to 07 was that defenders sometimes took odd angles when pursuing a ball carrier. Turning on auto strafe alleviates this to an extent as you will see defenders strafe instead of just taking the awkward angle. This also makes it easier for you to bring down CPU defenders in open space. You can still use the strafe button yourself, but CPU defenders will auto strafe, cornering ball carriers.

Admittedly, NCAA Football 08 on Original XBox did have its share of bugs. It's far from a perfect game. You can balance the game to an extent through sliders. Some penalty sliders work, a few had some bugs.

With the right settings, 08 on Original Xbox is the best football game ever made if you can get past the bugs. It's simply fun as heck to play. What I really like in 08 are the playbooks and the improved lateral button. The option is spectacular in 08 on Original XBox. I recommend classic camera.

People say the pursuit angles were a problem in 08. They definitely took better angles in 07 no question. But in 08 I look at it like the defenses are just more aggressive. If you play a zone, the defender will stay in that zone and wrap of the ball carrier most of the time. To be a master at 08 on Original Xbox on Heisman or All American, you must use manual control on defense. You can get buy against the bad teams by calling plays, but against a good CPU team on heisman with fair sliders, it's going to be tough. You're going to be in a battle. Every down is hard. 3rd downs the CPU converts a lot. You gotta be strong minded. If you get 08 on Original Xbox, realize that you have a great rare game that has got mixed reviews. Seriously take this advice:

Go into 08 on Original XBox with an open mind. Try to find some unique sliders. Play on all american or heisman. If heisman is too fast, do all american. use qb avoidance in college football. use receiver direct and tell him where to go then throw it. it's the last great college football game as far as i am concerned. i need to give 07 another look too.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 AM   #64
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
It makes defenses defend the run better. One of the major complaints about NCAA Football 08 on Original Xbox when compared to 07 was that defenders sometimes took odd angles when pursuing a ball carrier. Turning on auto strafe alleviates this to an extent as you will see defenders strafe instead of just taking the awkward angle. This also makes it easier for you to bring down CPU defenders in open space. You can still use the strafe button yourself, but CPU defenders will auto strafe, cornering ball carriers.

Admittedly, NCAA Football 08 on Original XBox did have its share of bugs. It's far from a perfect game. You can balance the game to an extent through sliders. Some penalty sliders work, a few had some bugs.

With the right settings, 08 on Original Xbox is the best football game ever made if you can get past the bugs. It's simply fun as heck to play. What I really like in 08 are the playbooks and the improved lateral button. The option is spectacular in 08 on Original XBox. I recommend classic camera.

People say the pursuit angles were a problem in 08. They definitely took better angles in 07 no question. But in 08 I look at it like the defenses are just more aggressive. If you play a zone, the defender will stay in that zone and wrap of the ball carrier most of the time. To be a master at 08 on Original Xbox on Heisman or All American, you must use manual control on defense. You can get buy against the bad teams by calling plays, but against a good CPU team on heisman with fair sliders, it's going to be tough. You're going to be in a battle. Every down is hard. 3rd downs the CPU converts a lot. You gotta be strong minded. If you get 08 on Original Xbox, realize that you have a great rare game that has got mixed reviews. Seriously take this advice:

Go into 08 on Original XBox with an open mind. Try to find some unique sliders. Play on all american or heisman. If heisman is too fast, do all american. use qb avoidance in college football. use receiver direct and tell him where to go then throw it. it's the last great college football game as far as i am concerned. i need to give 07 another look too.
What sliders do you use?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »