Home

Why don't Americans like text-sims?

This is a discussion on Why don't Americans like text-sims? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Why don't Americans like text-sims?

You can play http://deeproute.com on any web enabled phone.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I love text sims, always have.

Even dream of creating one (for baseball, which is my first sports love)

The problem I have with "regular" sports games is that they don't play realistically a lot of times, especially when it comes to the human-controlled player. Too much is about the human and not the actual player they are controlling (or that the AI/other human is controlling). A good human player can make a crap player good where in real life - he'd still suck even if he tried his hardest.

That doesn't make sense to me. If I have a bad team, they should suck. If I have a bad QB, he should suck. Require me to get a good QB for my team if I want one - not take JaMarcus Russell and stick-skill him into Tom Brady+Drew Brees. They shouldn't win because I took a bad player and made him better than he should be because I'm good at pushing buttons, or because I'm better than my opponent at pushing buttons.

There's often no feeling that I control a player who actually sucks. As long as I'm perfect, he is too. Meh. In real life, he's hardly ever perfect or even close - which is why he sucks. There's no limitation to his actual game sense or what he detects because I just have to switch players and control him with MY game sense instead of his. The QB isn't using his vision or ability to read coverage. I'm using mine. So what if he's dumb as a brick - as long as I read coverage well, he'll play like he's brilliant.

I get no sense I'm dealing with individual weaknesses or strengths of the player - just mine applied to various positions which change what buttons I need to push.

It's not about the teams going against each other but instead my stick skills vs the other guy's.

In text sims, if I want to be beat another team, I can't just "out stick skill him", I have to actually put a team together that can beat him and put the proper plan in place to maximize my team's strengths. I have to consider the players and their abilities. I can't master timing or whatnot to make a weakness disappear in a text sim. I have to deal with it and workaround it.

That's why I'll always love and play text sims or use more sim modes in "regular" sports games.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #59
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I love text sims, always have.

Even dream of creating one (for baseball, which is my first sports love)

The problem I have with "regular" sports games is that they don't play realistically a lot of times, especially when it comes to the human-controlled player. Too much is about the human and not the actual player they are controlling (or that the AI/other human is controlling). A good human player can make a crap player good where in real life - he'd still suck even if he tried his hardest.

That doesn't make sense to me. If I have a bad team, they should suck. If I have a bad QB, he should suck. Require me to get a good QB for my team if I want one - not take JaMarcus Russell and stick-skill him into Tom Brady+Drew Brees. They shouldn't win because I took a bad player and made him better than he should be because I'm good at pushing buttons, or because I'm better than my opponent at pushing buttons.

There's often no feeling that I control a player who actually sucks. As long as I'm perfect, he is too. Meh. In real life, he's hardly ever perfect or even close - which is why he sucks. There's no limitation to his actual game sense or what he detects because I just have to switch players and control him with MY game sense instead of his. The QB isn't using his vision or ability to read coverage. I'm using mine. So what if he's dumb as a brick - as long as I read coverage well, he'll play like he's brilliant.

I get no sense I'm dealing with individual weaknesses or strengths of the player - just mine applied to various positions which change what buttons I need to push.

It's not about the teams going against each other but instead my stick skills vs the other guy's.

In text sims, if I want to be beat another team, I can't just "out stick skill him", I have to actually put a team together that can beat him and put the proper plan in place to maximize my team's strengths. I have to consider the players and their abilities. I can't master timing or whatnot to make a weakness disappear in a text sim. I have to deal with it and workaround it.

That's why I'll always love and play text sims or use more sim modes in "regular" sports games.
Sounds like you're really like deeproute.com, have you tried it?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #60
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Here is my question to someone who is strictly text-sim player. If someone released a game that had the statistical perefection of text sim but the plays play out on the screen would you be interested? Say NFL HC had all the features you love in your text sim would that be your game of choice?

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
I love text sims. In fact this site is basically made up of OS'ers and all we do is play OOTP, FOF, and BBCF.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/

At first I wasn't into them...now I love them. I still play NCAA, 2kHoops, and other sports title but this is far more competitive and immersing.
Bunch of tools over there. Text sims are too hard for my pig headed american brain to understand.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 0

Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
Here is my question to someone who is strictly text-sim player. If someone released a game that had the statistical perefection of text sim but the plays play out on the screen would you be interested? Say NFL HC had all the features you love in your text sim would that be your game of choice?
Yes, absolutely. If there was an NFL game similar to football manager where you would manage the team, call plays, and watch them play out, I would buy it and never give Madden or NCAA a second thought. Football manager is the only game a play from release until the new version comes out. In fact, I usually don't want to stop playing the old version but I get over it once I get into the new one. I buy madden every year only to play it for 3 weeks, get frustrated with the lack of realism, and forget about it.

I think the exclusivity deal that EA has might be an obstacle. Football manager has a very dedicated community of people who pitch in and add all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2727
Yes, absolutely. If there was an NFL game similar to football manager where you would manage the team, call plays, and watch them play out, I would buy it and never give Madden or NCAA a second thought. Football manager is the only game a play from release until the new version comes out. In fact, I usually don't want to stop playing the old version but I get over it once I get into the new one. I buy madden every year only to play it for 3 weeks, get frustrated with the lack of realism, and forget about it.

I think the exclusivity deal that EA has might be an obstacle. Football manager has a very dedicated community of people who pitch in and add all the bells and whistles.
Have you played Front OFfice Football?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »