Home

One week away till the end of exclusive license.

This is a discussion on One week away till the end of exclusive license. within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #65
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: One week away till the end of exclusive license.

We do know that EA is developing the game for next year, that is a given.

If there is another game being developed, it's hush-hush and under the radar.(doesn't mean there isn't a game being developed under the radar)

Based on that, I'm speculating that the deal has already been signed and just waiting to be announced, probably coinciding with SB week.

Just a hunch, folks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think the biggest thing we are overlooking with this whole deal is, the NFL may not care as much about the money as you guys think. Compared to their TV deals and massive brand name that continues to get bigger I think the money they get from this exclusive rights deal is peanuts.

The biggest reason they love this deal is for the control, they have say in everything that goes into it. The silver lining in this though is EA can't be making as big of a profit as they were before. Granted even though every year gets tiny updates it probably doesn't cost a lot to put the product on the shelf year after year, but there is no doubting sales have slid every year.

Madden used to sell 5 million on ONE console, now they can barely hit that number with all consoles sales together and it's not like football and video games haven't become more popular in the last 7 years. The two industries growing the fastest are video games and sports in terms of entertainment, the license will come down EA more then the NFL IMO.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #67
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbeb
I think the biggest thing we are overlooking with this whole deal is, the NFL may not care as much about the money as you guys think. Compared to their TV deals and massive brand name that continues to get bigger I think the money they get from this exclusive rights deal is peanuts.

The biggest reason they love this deal is for the control, they have say in everything that goes into it. The silver lining in this though is EA can't be making as big of a profit as they were before. Granted even though every year gets tiny updates it probably doesn't cost a lot to put the product on the shelf year after year, but there is no doubting sales have slid every year.

Madden used to sell 5 million on ONE console, now they can barely hit that number with all consoles sales together and it's not like football and video games haven't become more popular in the last 7 years. The two industries growing the fastest are video games and sports in terms of entertainment, the license will come down EA more then the NFL IMO.
I do agree that this is one thing that is not brought up too often and most likely plays a big part as well, but I think this could still work by simply allowing multiple companies to buy the exclusive license and require them to follow the same guidelines, i.e. have control in each. However this would be enforced on EA would apply to any other company making the game as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #68
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb20
I do agree that this is one thing that is not brought up too often and most likely plays a big part as well, but I think this could still work by simply allowing multiple companies to buy the exclusive license and require them to follow the same guidelines, i.e. have control in each. However this would be enforced on EA would apply to any other company making the game as well.
It easily could work, prior to the exclusive the NFL kept tabs on 2k, madden, nfl fever, qb club, nfl street all at the same time. The NFL simply makes more money this way and really the main reason for the license being exclusive at all. Goodell's goal is to get the NFL to 25+ billion in revenues and exclusives are the only way that happens.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebur...nual-revenues/

It's really on EA. They are in the business of making money too. NCAA licensing lawsuits cost the college game, which was really madden revenue since the game was made off madden features. Madden has actually lost sales since the original exclusive was signed. 2k's exclusive mlb deal was a disaster, so I don't see EA' s only competitor wanting to overspend on an exclusive deal again either. If EA wants another exclusive, this deal is getting redone. I just can't find a single reason why they would.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #69
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

I think the NFL is as greedy as we think they are. They've shown it time and time again. As stated, they get a set payment no matter what happens with video game trends and fan interest in a specific game. People keep talking about control, that's really not that very important to this matter since they can tell any company what they want or don't want in a game. If something goes against the image they want to project for their league, it's not going to be in any game. They don't want their players having tattoos in the game, so they didn't have them in any NFL games available back then and still today. They don't need one company with the license to make that happen.

As for EA, they don't have a choice really. The rumors have been that 2K has been building capital to make a run at the license when it expires. As far as EA knows, 2K is looking to jump in if they don't re-sign. They can't risk getting squeezed out of the football market so they'll re-up if need be.

I think the real issue no one is paying attention to and what I think may ultimately happen if by some miracle they don't sign a new exclusive deal, is that the NFL doesn't have to have an exclusive license. Just because there isn't an contractual agreement in place for exclusivity, doesn't mean that the NFL has to give their license out to anybody that comes along with some cash. I think the license expires, EA goes back to a better rate and the NFL just moves forward on a year by year basis only allowing EA the license to make the game but leaving it open to allow another company or companies to develop games if they become dissatisfied with the arrangement at any point.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #70
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I think the NFL is as greedy as we think they are. They've shown it time and time again. As stated, they get a set payment no matter what happens with video game trends and fan interest in a specific game. People keep talking about control, that's really not that very important to this matter since they can tell any company what they want or don't want in a game. If something goes against the image they want to project for their league, it's not going to be in any game. They don't want their players having tattoos in the game, so they didn't have them in any NFL games available back then and still today. They don't need one company with the license to make that happen.
I pretty much agree here.

Quote:
As for EA, they don't have a choice really. The rumors have been that 2K has been building capital to make a run at the license when it expires. As far as EA knows, 2K is looking to jump in if they don't re-sign. They can't risk getting squeezed out of the football market so they'll re-up if need be.
I disagree completely. 2k attempted an exclusive with MLB and it blew up in their face. They never made a move on the NBA for exclusive and we know EA has. The rumors are 2k is building capital for a license. If they go exclusive they would have to outbid EA for a license EA wants reduced. It doesn't make sense. I think 2k just wants to make a game, not exclusivity.

Quote:
I think the real issue no one is paying attention to and what I think may ultimately happen if by some miracle they don't sign a new exclusive deal, is that the NFL doesn't have to have an exclusive license. Just because there isn't an contractual agreement in place for exclusivity, doesn't mean that the NFL has to give their license out to anybody that comes along with some cash. I think the license expires, EA goes back to a better rate and the NFL just moves forward on a year by year basis only allowing EA the license to make the game but leaving it open to allow another company or companies to develop games if they become dissatisfied with the arrangement at any point.
This is silly. Your first paragraph you say the NFL is just as greedy as we think. I agree. So now you think EA gets nonexclusive and will be the only game? If 2k is offering a nice fat check to make a game in this scenario, can anyone honestly think the NFL wouldn't take it?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #71
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I disagree completely. 2k attempted an exclusive with MLB and it blew up in their face. They never made a move on the NBA for exclusive and we know EA has. The rumors are 2k is building capital for a license. If they go exclusive they would have to outbid EA for a license EA wants reduced. It doesn't make sense. I think 2k just wants to make a game, not exclusivity.
I wouldn't doubt you're right about 2K's intentions, but we don't know and EA doesn't either. That's why I say they wouldn't want to take the risk. It's like the Knicks screwing themselves over trading for Melo when they could have signed him outright, but they didn't want to risk him ending up somewhere else before then.

Quote:
This is silly. Your first paragraph you say the NFL is just as greedy as we think. I agree. So now you think EA gets nonexclusive and will be the only game? If 2k is offering a nice fat check to make a game in this scenario, can anyone honestly think the NFL wouldn't take it?
That's why I said it's what I think may happen if by some miracle they don't go exclusive with EA again which is what I'm fully prepared to see happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #72
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
We do know that EA is developing the game for next year, that is a given.

If there is another game being developed, it's hush-hush and under the radar.(doesn't mean there isn't a game being developed under the radar)

Based on that, I'm speculating that the deal has already been signed and just waiting to be announced, probably coinciding with SB week.

Just a hunch, folks.
I agree. Maybe we get a Super Bowl commercial to seal the deal.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »