Home

One week away till the end of exclusive license.

This is a discussion on One week away till the end of exclusive license. within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: One week away till the end of exclusive license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
There is another football game that has been in the works for quite some time already. I would venture to say its over 75% complete, and would not need a long development cycle or huge budget to hit the shelves.

It all depends on the next contract the NFL puts forth.

The ball is in the NFLs hands right now, not the video game companies.
so you are telling us that a company is developing a product that might
never be released, based on a license agreement.

what company would throw money at a project like this?
this makes no financial sense, unless "said" company was going to release a generic football title, with the hopes of turning a profit......
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
so you are telling us that a company is developing a product that might
never be released, based on a license agreement.

what company would throw money at a project like this?
this makes no financial sense, unless "said" company was going to release a generic football title, with the hopes of turning a profit......
He said quite some time, which means its a project that has been stretched over the course of a few years minimizing costs. I can see a studio like SCEA or the guys over at MLB the show doing this. Even 2K. Very minimal risk. Incredibly high reward.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
He said quite some time, which means its a project that has been stretched over the course of a few years minimizing costs. I can see a studio like SCEA or the guys over at MLB the show doing this. Even 2K. Very minimal risk. Incredibly high reward.
Yep, especially 2K since they did a very similar thing with APF, spreading out development over the course of a few years, although they admitted to doing the bulk of the real work in much less than a full year, and a lot can be said about that but I won't get into it today. But 2K's development cost (minus the licensing costs for the legends) for All-Pro Football was small because they already had a very mature engine to work from that wasn't terribly old at the time and therefore wasn't foreign to them so it greatly reduced development challenges, then add on the fact that most of the 2K5 devs were still at 2K and the transition was a lot more possible and economical than it would've been under other circumstances.

Everybody seems to think it costs like 100 Million dollars to make a football game. It doesn't. And companies like 2K and SCEA have been sitting on working engines for years. I'm certain that there has been translation work on those engines at the turn of each generation, just because the NFL license is too big a deal to not be prepared for. But what I've learned from lurking this board long before signing up, is that just about everything is met with Area 51-like suspicion which has worked against the community on a number of occasions. So until the physical game is in people's hands, any sort of logical possibility will be automatically discarded by most.

Last edited by FaceMask; 01-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

So is there an actual chance the NFL doesn't reup another exclusive deal with EA and we could have multiple NFL games or are people just hoping?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
So is there an actual chance the NFL doesn't reup another exclusive deal with EA and we could have multiple NFL games or are people just hoping?
2K Ronnie stated the reason 2K isn't in the football market is the lack of a NFL license. I imagine several companies would commit significant resources to make an NFL game if/when the license is available.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspeaks
2K Ronnie stated the reason 2K isn't in the football market is the lack of a NFL license. I imagine several companies would commit significant resources to make an NFL game if/when the license is available.
I am sure other companies would make an NFL game if there was no exclusive license. What I am wondering is, do people actually think that EA and NFL won't re-up so we can see NFL games from other companies.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #39
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
I am sure other companies would make an NFL game if there was no exclusive license. What I am wondering is, do people actually think that EA and NFL won't re-up so we can see NFL games from other companies.
At the end of the day it comes down to making money. If the NFL feels like they could make more money by not having a exclusive license then that's what there going to do. I know sales for Current Gen Madden were down with this release so I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of the license. However I'm not expecting it either.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Let's hope sceaa or 2k or better yet both make a nfl15... Make it happen NFL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »