Home

Gridiron Solitaire, Anyone Check This Out?

This is a discussion on Gridiron Solitaire, Anyone Check This Out? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Gridiron Solitaire, Anyone Check This Out?

Hi Guys,
This is actually my game. I used to do quite a bit of work on NFL2K5/Madden/NCAA sliders, back in the day.

I can answer any questions you have. Here's a basic feature set listing:
--create a 16 team, fully customizable league, then play for up to 30 seasons. Each league evolves differently over time.
--guide your team through a 15 game regular season + playoffs. Before each game, choose to play or sim ahead to the next week.
--enjoy the drama of professional football in an intense, 20-minute package. Unique gameplay combines football strategy with card play, and includes thousands of possible text events to influence the action.
--behind the scenes is a quality sim. Real NFL data is used for CPU playcalling, field goal and punt distance/accuracy, and simmed stats/scores.
--experience roaring crowds and dynamic sounds in a true football atmosphere. 8 hand-crafted stadiums create a vibrant and colorful game world.
--detailed weather database has custom weather profiles for hundreds of American and Canadian cities. Rain/snow are possible, and both affect gameplay.
--after each game you play, see a customized newspaper headline based on your performance (with over a thousand possible combinations).
--offseason mini-game gives you a chance to improve your team's ratings, and team ratings matter in every aspect of the game.
--multiple difficulty levels let you tailor your experience from casual to the ultimate challenge.

This is a game that isn't like anything else out there, really, as far as I know. On the higher difficulty settings it has extremely challenging AI, and games are intense and exciting (I know--that sounds crazy for a card game--but just play a few games and you'll see).

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you guys. The game is available on Steam, and I think anyone who loves football will really enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Bill's game? I am going to go buy now.

Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gridiron-solitaire

EDIT: Just finished my first season game. Was down 21-10 and scored a touchdown with 20 seconds left, kicked on onside kick, recovered it, was able to run one play from the fifty with one second left and nearly won got tackled on the ten.

You really have to manage your big plays on defense. I spent too many and in the 4th quarter in burned me. Loving this game.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 02-13-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Rookie

diamok's Arena

OVR: 0

@ billharris44 - Hey cool man, game does look very interesting and unique.

Just a few simple questions though.

Drafts?
Salaries?
Trades?
Free agents?
Player editing?
Stadium upgrades/concessions?
Modding?

Thanks in advance and hope sales are going well.

Take care,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamok
@ billharris44 - Hey cool man, game does look very interesting and unique.

Just a few simple questions though.

Drafts?
Salaries?
Trades?
Free agents?
Player editing?
Stadium upgrades/concessions?
Modding?
Drafts/free agents: Yes. You have a team budget in the offseason which you can use to buy player cards that will improve a specific team rating (if they don't go bust, which is also possible). Please note, though, that this not at the same level of a text sim and worlds away from something like FOF. It's a simple way to assess team needs and make improvements.

Modding: Yes, via editing of .txt files in the game. This is unsupported, but you can do quite a bit (change the names of player cards to real NFL player names, for example), if you're ambitious. You can also do extensive team editing inside the game--name, team colors, choosing one of 8 stadiums.

Sorry, but your other requests aren't in the game. While simming games is an option (and the sim engine is very solid and will generate realistic scores/stats), the focus of the game is on playing out individual games. So whereas a good text sim might be 80% roster/offseason management, focusing on the franchise aspects, in Gridiron Solitaire, it's more 80% in -game, 20% offseason.

It's a unique game and has more drama than you would even believe (and it's all non-scripted drama, too--the AI is 100% honest). So thanks and I hope you give the game a try.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Bought the game last Friday and am loving it. I had a few questions though:

How do your team/player ratings affect the outcome of the game?
How does making the right play call on D affect things?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut
Bought the game last Friday and am loving it. I had a few questions though:

How do your team/player ratings affect the outcome of the game?
How does making the right play call on D affect things?
I wrote a post in the Steam forum about this that should answer all your questions:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/266270...6089014578939/.

When you make the right call on D, you roughly cut the max possible gain for that play in half. So it makes a huge difference. Also, you have a dice-roll chance for a "Big Stop", which is an immediate zero gain play. It's somewhat rare, but calling the right play on defense makes it possible.

Also, if you call "defend pass" on a CPU pass play and rewind the gain to 0 by playing cards, you can then sack the quarterback with three more matches for a -8 gain. That's new to 1.02 (just released last night), as is the "Big Stop" mechanic.

Ratings affect every part of the game. That linked post will give you much more detail.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Is it possible to add a almanac? I know it keeps track of your seasons. It would be cool if it somehow could record the box score for each game. Thanks Bill loving the game.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 02-13-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Is it possible to add a almanac? I know it keeps track of your seasons. It would be cool if it somehow could record the box score for each game. Thanks Bill loving the game.
There's a Team History tab that gives you a season summary for each season in your franchise, but no history at the single-game level. One of the things I'm working on is that you can select your history card for a season, and it will flip over and show you the league playoff bracket and results for that year as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »