Home

Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

This is a discussion on Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #233
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree a lot with this, but I didn't see where Montana was was looking to compete with Madden in the tech vid. They were originally discussing his NFL Fantasy app. To me, it appeared as if Montana said and knew he couldn't compete with Madden and kind of laughed and shrugged it off.

That was my take, others take may vary.
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=5R3quJaPNgk

It's the first thing Joe says. He wanted to make a game to compete vs madden and a friend told him that Damon Grow was his man. They discussed and decided it was too difficult, but that was Joe's original goal.

I think something changed their mind. This game is too detailed. Damon Grow also tweeted that franchise mode is the soul of this game. I really believe this is a generic game designed for pc and xone, based on the artists work including Ryse and forza 2 which were in those consoles. I've still got my fingers crossed it'll be available on ps after someone pointed out 2k5 running on ps' s.

I'm going to ignore that infamous tweet for now. The rest of the info points to consoles and generic.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #234
MVP

OVR: 20

It seems weird to me if Microsoft was actually involved they would be voluntarily choosing not to market this game. With MLB The Show out soon, why wouldn't they try to persuade those same buyers that buy a PS4 for baseball to hold off by showing some kind of announcement to an exclusive football game? It just does not seem like a Microsoft move to hold off showing the game at all until a couple weeks before release, like that one poster said. Unless of course, they legally can't say something right now because of a current licensing deal in place. Maybe EA's exclusive deal is set to end at a certain point before release? Who knows, but seems fishy to me.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #235
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=5R3quJaPNgk

It's the first thing Joe says. He wanted to make a game to compete vs madden and a friend told him that Damon Grow was his man. They discussed and decided it was too difficult, but that was Joe's original goal.

I think something changed their mind. This game is too detailed. Damon Grow also tweeted that franchise mode is the soul of this game. I really believe this is a generic game designed for pc and xone, based on the artists work including Ryse and forza 2 which were in those consoles. I've still got my fingers crossed it'll be available on ps after someone pointed out 2k5 running on ps' s.

I'm going to ignore that infamous tweet for now. The rest of the info points to consoles and generic.
I can't tell if it's the tech crunch video you are describing? Your link comes up with various you tube showings.

http://techcrunch.com/video/joe-mont...mfl/517751363/

That's the one I go off of- he says Madden doesn't have a lot of competition, something that would be difficult in doing, they dropped the idea at that time, etc...

Who knows, maybe they went back to it, not a lot to go on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #236
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

LOL. For once in my life I'm gonna be positive and assume that this isnt BS. Here are my reasons:

1) That post was a lot of **** to post to run a hoax. With previous hoaxes, its either been a random tweet or some video from someone like Hip Hop Gamer in order to get people to watch his videos.

2) The post is more detailed than most of the stuff I've seen about this game. There are holes (like 2k being involved and the fact that I've never heard of the NFL license having a 1st party license loophole) but its also provides a good bit of detail

3) Question: Do most mobile games do extensive motion captioning? I always assumed most of the sports mobile games I've seen (not the ones ported by EA) appear to be drawn animations not mo capped. If thats the case, then it leads me to believe its a console or pc game.

4) Finally Damon Grow went to the Super Bowl. LOL. That could mean he met with NFL officials, was invited by the NFL or he bought a ticket like a normal person.

With that said, I hope the game comes out but wont be crushed if this is a hoax. I liked Madden this year and if they fix their penalties and a few other things, I wont really care if there was another option.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #237
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_secondary
No, this isn't a mobile game. Looks like way too many people involved. I was the one really thinking that this was the time you could make a mobile game that could rival stuff on the PS3 and 360. Higher end tablets and Android TV boxes could probably handle it . . . but it looks like there are way too many people evolved. APF 2k8 didn't seem to have this many people working on it, it was a small team.

Looking at those renders, well, you don't waist your time making it that detailed for a mobile game. (You need to scale those models back even for the current consoles.)

It's either a console/PC NFL game, or it's nothing. I don't think its nothing. There has been way too much smoke over the last two years.

The license has changed between the NFL and EA. We all know it by how EA dances around the issue, we just don't know how it changed. The amount of money that Microsoft threw at the NFL last year I'm sure has something to do with it. If I'm the NFL and Microsoft throws me $600 million I would probably let them make a game.
The exclusivity of the license may only exclude third party developers, this time. EA's last deal expired in 2014. Maybe the terms allow first party developers to make a game. The actual terms of the deal were never revealed.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #238
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
The exclusivity of the license may only exclude third party developers, this time. EA's last deal expired in 2014. Maybe the terms allow first party developers to make a game. The actual terms of the deal were never revealed.
EA's deal didn't expire in 2014, it's still going.

I posted this article a few pages back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-more-years/7

This article states there are a few more years left.

The good news is that, per the league office, the exclusive EA license lasts only a “couple more years.” The bad news is that, thanks to all the money earned over the last decade by selling basically the same game with different players in the software and a different picture on the cover (which has been hyped into something far more significant than it is), EA will surely be able to extend the exclusive license, if it wants.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #239

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
EA's deal didn't expire in 2014, it's still going.

I posted this article a few pages back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-more-years/7

This article states there are a few more years left.

The good news is that, per the league office, the exclusive EA license lasts only a “couple more years.” The bad news is that, thanks to all the money earned over the last decade by selling basically the same game with different players in the software and a different picture on the cover (which has been hyped into something far more significant than it is), EA will surely be able to extend the exclusive license, if it wants.
Not necessarily likely but that doesn't mean the terms of the exclusive portion of the agreement didn't change in the way he mentioned.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #240
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

That's hardly anything to put your chips down on, either. It's not like PFT had the contract in front of them and they're relaying exact terms. The league office telling them "a couple more years" isn't all that assuring, either.

Maybe it does indeed last a couple more years as it was originally drawn up, but the deal has, at some point, been restructured. There were several articles a few years back talking about how EA wasn't willing to pay as much for the license anymore, but the NFL needed Madden more than EA needed the NFL.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/02/16...atisfied-party

Now, with EA striking gold with Madden Ultimate Team, it would seem EA is definitely in need of the NFL license now more than ever.

We also don't know the exact terms of Microsoft's deal with the NFL.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »