Home

The Wolf From Minsk

This is a discussion on The Wolf From Minsk within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
The Wolf From Minsk

The Wolf From Minsk
The MMA Career of
Victor Horvat

Game: UFC Undisputed 2010
Platfom: PS3
Difficulty: Advanced

RESPUBLIKA NEWS

Minsk, Belarus 2010

They call him, "The Wolf." His name is Victor Horvat. The 26 year-old native of Minsk and former conscript in the Armed Forces of Belarus, is preparing to fight in his first professional mixed-martial arts next month. Horvat is training in Croatia for his upcoming fight in the World Fighting Alliance, a minor league of sorts for the UFC. Horvat has made a name for himself and earned the moniker, "The Wolf," during his successful kickboxing career throughout Europe and the former Soviet States. Kickboxing is what led him to mixed-martial arts.
An opponent is yet to be named but Horvat feels confident he can handle whomever he faces. "I feel I am capable of beating anyone they put in front of me," said Horvat. "I've been boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling all my life. This is nothing new for me. The only difference now is, I get to use all these skills at the same time," added Horvat.
Respublika News will feature a more in-depth look at Horvat in this weekend's issue.

Last edited by celticboy25; 06-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The Wolf From Minsk

RESPUBLIKA NEWS

Sports Extras
Minsk, Belarus
Minsk's own Victor "The Wolf" Horvat made his professional MMA debut last night against Jake "The Cobra" Carter in front of a packed house in Rottedam, Holland. The bout was in the World Fighting Alliance's 185-pound weight class. Carter, of Rochester, NY, came into the bout undefeated at 4-0.
Both fighters came out of their corners cautiously, wary of the other's striking ability. Horvat kick-started the action about 30 seconds into round 1 with a volley of blows to the head of Carter who responded with a big counter shot of his own. The action remained steady throughout the remainder of the first round with Horvat getting the better of the standup. Carter repeatedly tried to take the fight to the gound, but was unable to keep Horvat down. As the second round began, it became evident that Horvat's striking attack was too much for "The Cobra" to handle. At the 1:31 mark of round 2, Horvat stunned Carter with a well-timed straight right hand that sent the New York native crashing to the canvas. The referee called a halt to the action as Horvat rained a hail of punches down on his fallen opponent.
"It was a good win tonight," said Horvat. "The fight went pretty much like I expected it would. I knew as long as I kept the fight standing up, he couldn't hurt me. Now we're just going to get back in the gym and start preparing for our next opponent," added Horvat.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Rookie

.......... fast forward to January, 2011

HD Net's "Inside MMA"

January 15, 2011
Kenny: .... "now let's talk about a a guy who you've mentioned Bas, a few times in the past couple of shows, Victor "The Wolf" Horvat from Belarus.

Bas: "Yeah, I have been follwing this kid since his debut last year in the Netherlands. He's got a ton of potential at 185 pounds and is a natural striker with a background in kickboxing."

Kenny: "Well last night he ran into a different kind of fighter in Frank "The Crank" Hill. Each of Horvat's previous opponents were standup oriented fighters which played right into his strengths as a kickboxer. Hill worked the ju-jitsu game against Horvat and handed him his first career loss via a rear-naked choke in the 2nd round. The loss exposed a major flaw in Horvat- his ground game. Bas, are you still high on this kid's chances?"

Bas: "Well it depends. He's still very young, at 27, and he is only going to get better. What I want to see is how he responds to this loss. Sometimes a loss like this early on in a career is the best thing that can happen to a fighter. He is going to have to put this loss behind him work on getting better on the ground, and improve his submission defense. If he does that, he'll have a bright future in this sport."

Kenny: "Well Bas, looking at this kid's resume, you would assume he is heading in the right direction. Take a look at his record:

Jake Carter W TKO 1
Jeff Clayton W KO 1
Jake Carter W KO 1
Marcello Cruz W KO 1
Frank Hill L Sub 2

Bas: "Yeah, he's definitely got some knockout power. Now he's getting matched against fighters like Frank Hill who are experienced and know how to neutralize that power by taking him down and controlling the fight on the mat. The difference in his career is going to be whether or not he can adapt to the various styles of fighters he'll have to face in MMA. If he stays one-dimensional, he'll have a tough time getting past this level, but if he can grow into a well-rounded fighter, there's no telling how good he can be. Time will tell."
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
MVP

hockeyplaya2724's Arena

OVR: 29

really good so far, I loved your Lion of Eire career so hopefully this is just as good as that one
Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplaya2724
really good so far, I loved your Lion of Eire career so hopefully this is just as good as that one
thanks man. i appreciate the affirmation. i had a lot of fun doing the Lion of Eire, so i'm looking forward to this one too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Rookie

page 57

VICTOR HORVAT
MMA'S NEXT BIG STAR?

December 2011
Victor Horvat is turning heads in the world of MMA at a tremendous pace.... literally. Since turning pro in January of 2010, Horvat has racked up 7 knockout brutal wins. His most recent win, against Brian Evans, ended when Horvat landed a devastating high kick which Evans is probably still waking up from. All but 1 of his knockouts have come in the very first round. Victor Horvat is on the road to becoming the next big MMA star... or is he?
For "The Wolf from Minsk," 2011 ended the same way it began.... with submission losses against lower-ranked opponents. Frank "The Crank" Hill caught Horvat in a rear naked choke, forcing "The Wolf" to tap out of their January bout. His most recent fight, against Chris Price in November, followed the exact same script, with "The Wolf" tapping to another rear naked choke.
So, can a fighter with world-class, striking ability, but underwhelming submission defense compete at the top level of MMA? It's no secret that the afformentioned "top level" of MMA is the UFC. We caught up with UFC president Dana White to see what his opinoin of Victor Horvat is.

Fight Mag: "Dana, you've seen a lot of fighters come and go, and you've proved you have a tremendous eye for talent. What is your take on the young Belarusian fighter Victor Horvat?"

Dana: "Well he's got loads of potential, but he's too green for the UFC. Our guys are too versatile. A one-trick pony like Horvat would never make it here. Yeah, we've got some guys who prefer to strike and shy away from the ground game, but they would never get choked out by someone like Frank Hill. I mean, who is that guy anyway? Trust me... Victor Horvat may have some knockout power, but he'll never fight in the UFC until he learns some submission defense."

Fight Mag: "Wow, never? Granted the guy lost to a couple of nobodies, but you have to admit he's one of the most exciting young fighters in the world today. He'd sell a lot of tickets."

Dana: "To sell tickets in the UFC you have to win fights. If we put this guy in there with someone like Anderson Silva or Demian Maia, it'd be over inside of 30 seconds. Nobody wants to pay for THAT!"

Fight Mag: "Well, it seems Horvat has some serious work to do if he's going to impress you enough to gain a shot at the UFC. Thanks for stopping by and chatting with us Dana."

Dana: "It was my pleasure. Anytime."

Horvat is scheduled to fight Seattle's Josh "The Fury" Freeman in February 2012. Freeman is ranked #26 in the world with a 9-3 record. Horvat is ranked #24 with a record of 7-2. Here is a look at Horvat's resume:
Jake Carter W TKO 1
Jeff Clayton W KO 1
JaKE Carter W KO 1
Marcello Cruz W KO 1
Frank Hill L SUB 2
Marcello Cruz W KO 1
Jeff Clayton W KO 2
Brian Evans W KO 2
Chris Price L SUB 1

Finally, let's take a look at the world champions heading into 2012:
Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar
Light Heavyweight: Quinton Jackson
Middleweight: Chael Sonnen
Welterweight: Anthony Johnson
Lightweight: BJ Penn
Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
MVP

hockeyplaya2724's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticboy25
thanks man. i appreciate the affirmation. i had a lot of fun doing the Lion of Eire, so i'm looking forward to this one too.
No problem bud, if it's as good as the Lion of Eire then I have a feeling you'll have no problem getting plenty of followers. Nice update
Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 12

I have no idea how you put up with this game... my mom said we can't return my version because it's opened.

But it's good so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »