Home

Road to the World Cup 2010

This is a discussion on Road to the World Cup 2010 within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #49
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Road to the World Cup 2010

Story of Group A

As the Americans watched the drawing for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa, they were secretly hoping to be drawn with the host nation fully knowing of all the Pot A teams South Africa were the weakest. When the drawing came and Pot A and B came to a close it wasn't long before the United States were called from Pot C. With the first drawing, the red, white and blue were called to join host nation South Africa and Russia in Group A. While the US waited for Pot C to finish up, they couldn't help but notice where CONCACAF rival Mexico had been placed (with Argentina, Ukraine, and Chile). Things were going great and turned even better when Saudi Arabia were drawn as the fourth and final team of Group A. Looking at the rest of CONCACAF, Costa Rica was drawn in what most are calling the Group of Death with Italy, Ivory Coast and Serbia, while Canada drew an equally challenging Holland, England, and Ghana. Things are looking up for the United States. Here is how the group came to be:

South Africa
After finishing fourth in the Confederations Cup last summer, the host nation built some momentum for the World Cup Finals. As the host nation they did not have to qualify and were put into Pot A as the host nation always does. They will look to keep the statistic of every host nation progressing from group stage going.
Prediction: Third Place in Group A

Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia almost never made it. Back in Stage Three of the Asia Qualifiers Saudi Arabia took on Uzbekistan in a match they needed to win in order to progress to Stage Four, and they came away with a 1-0 win at home. Then in Stage Four they were matched up with Australia, Japan, Thailand, and Qatar and were the only unbeaten team, qualifying for the World Cup Finals with ease.
Prediction: Fourth Place in Group A

United States
The United States found their World Cup qualifying to get easier as it went by just like Saudi Arabia, but made the biggestimpact before the World Cup Finals by winning the 2009FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa. This should give the United States the confidence it needs to progress later into the knockout stages.
Prediction: First Place in Group A (Quarter-Finals)

Russia
World Cup qualifying went better than expected for Russia. Paired with Germany, Finland, Wales, Liechtenstein and Azerbaijan looked like a lock for second place which is what they were able to accomplish. The wildest part is Germany finished 7-2-1 with 23 points, while Russia finished 7-1-2 with 22 points; only a point behind. Russia would then go on to play Denmark in the UEFA Play-offs and won 3-1 at home in the first leg and then managing a 0-0 draw in Denmark to take the spot to South Africa.
Prediction: Second Place in Group A (Round of 16)

Schedule
South Africa - Saudi Arabia
United States - Russia
South Africa - United States
Russia - Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia - United States
Russia - South Africa

**Look for the two biggest matches to be USA-Russia and Russia-South Africa to decide places 1,2 and 3.**

Last edited by pfeifere1; 07-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4

My god what a favorable draw for you!

I'm ecstatic that Canada managed to sneak in, but they have absolutely no hope in that group with England and Holland. Brutal draw for the Red n Whites.

No matter how you do in the tournament, your run in the Hex was impressive enough. Any plans on continuing the career of this manager on FIFA 13?

Cheers and following as always

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #51
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada_Carlos_Ball
My god what a favorable draw for you!

I'm ecstatic that Canada managed to sneak in, but they have absolutely no hope in that group with England and Holland. Brutal draw for the Red n Whites.

No matter how you do in the tournament, your run in the Hex was impressive enough. Any plans on continuing the career of this manager on FIFA 13?

Cheers and following as always

You aren't kidding about the favorable draw!! My mouth dropped when I was drawn with South Africa since I've never been drawn with the host nation...and to avoid any of the other real dangers in pots B and D was fantastic.

My group is obviously paired up with Group B for the Round of 16, so winning the group is imperative to avoid the Germans.

I'll be continuing my Wycombe career after this is completed...FIFA 13 plays so differently that I was noticing bad habits that you can get away with in WC 2010 creeping into my FIFA 13 playing and I was playing real poorly.

As always, thanks for the follow and support!!

I like your latest idea! Definitely following that as well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #52
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
Group A
June 11, 2010
Cape Town

USA 0-2 Russia

6' A. Kerzhakov (A. Arshavin) - RUS
9' A. Kerzhakov - RUS

Kerzhakov celebrates his brace, giving Russia the top of Group A.

Hiddink Outdoes Klinsmann

Russian coach Guus Hiddink had his team ready to go against the US this evening in Cape Town for the first day of matches in the World Cup Finals. It was the high pressure with all five midfielders pressing all the way up the pitch that didn't allow the Americans any time on the ball, which ultimately led to their demise. The United States was hit with a ton of bricks in the opening ten minutes of the match, giving up two goals to Kerzhakov on very similar plays. First, in the sixth minute, Andriy Arshavin whipped in a cross that found Kerzhakov's head with ease, then it was another cross by Arshavin in the ninth minute that was collected by defender Carlos Bocanegra, but not cleared in time as Kerzhakov would strip Bocanegra of the ball and easily slotted the ball past Tim Howard. To further slap the Americans in the face, in the 45th minute Clint Dempsey went down with an injury that had to have him subbed out of the game. Early indications show him missing the rest of the group stage. Not the start that Klinsmann could have hoped for, but there are winnable games coming up for a chance to advance.

Around Group A

South Africa 0-1 Saudi Arabia
United States 0-2 Russia

World Cup Group A
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Russia100+23
Saudi Arabia100+13
South Africa001-10
United States001-20

Last edited by pfeifere1; 07-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #53
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Scores and Standings

World Cup Group A
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Russia100+23
Saudi Arabia100+13
South Africa001-10
United States001-20

South Africa 0-1 Saudi Arabia
United States 0-2 Russia

World Cup Group B
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Cameroon100+13
Germany100+13
Iran001-10
Latvia001-10

Iran 0-1 Cameroon
Germany 1-0 Latvia

World Cup Group C
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Costa Rica100+23
Italy100+13
Ivory Coast001-10
Serbia001-20

Italy 4-3 Ivory Coast
Serbia 0-2 Costa Rica

World Cup Group D
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Turkey100+23
Portugal100+13
Egypt001-10
Korea DPR001-20

Turkey 2-0 Korea DPR
Portugal 1-0 Egypt

World Cup Group E
TEAMWDLGDPTS
England01001
Ghana01001
Holland01001
Canada01001

Holland 1-1 England
Canada 1-1 Ghana

World Cup Group F
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Australia01001
Czech Republic01001
Brazil01001
Japan01001

Brazil 2-2 Australia
Japan 2-2 Czech Republic

World Cup Group G
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Spain100+43
Congo DR01001
Paraguay01001
Slovakia001-40

Paraguay 1-1 Congo DR
Spain 4-0 Slovakia

World Cup Group H
TEAMWDLGDPTS
Argentina00000
Mexico00000
Ukraine00000
Chile00000

**Games are played on same day as USA's second game**
aka, yet to be played

Last edited by pfeifere1; 07-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »