Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #14665
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
Good news! According to MLB TradeRumors Bartolo Colon is NOT ready to retire. May never see him in the majors again but seems like he’ll be pitching somewhere for someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I wish Bartolo would give being a Jumbo Shrimp a shot. or a Biscuit.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #14666
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

ya think Mariano Rivera ever worried if a batter knew what was coming? knowing what pitch is coming matters less than knowing where it's coming. just sayin'.

A Work in Progress
Old 01-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #14667
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
ya think Mariano Rivera ever worried if a batter knew what was coming? knowing what pitch is coming matters less than knowing where it's coming. just sayin'.

I disagree entirely, if for any other reason than intended locations don’t always hit said target.

To add on though, if I’m a hitter and I have less than two strikes, knowing that a certain pitch is coming I get to divide the plate to my choosing. You know that breaking stuff and offspeed won’t be worked up in the zone, and in a fastball situation I can divide inside/outside. If it’s not where I want, even for a strike, I can take it. If it’s where I want, I’m unlikely to miss.

On two strikes, I can play a bit more defensively by working the entire plate, but if I know which pitch is coming I have resolved at minimum 70% of my concerns.

That being said, it’s been asked before what’s the toughest pitch I ever faced, and undeniably I said a good cutter and a good splitter... the splitter if I don’t know it’s coming, and the cutter regardless.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #14668

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
This is very off base.

It's far easier to adjust to a location than it is to a different pitch speed.

If you're sitting on fastball, you can adjust quickly because you already know how quickly it's going to get to you.

After a fastball, it gets easier knowing its an offspeed pitch and you have even more time to adjust.

Rivera is a bad example because he was such a devastating pitcher. He could tell hitters the location and they still wouldn't be able to hit his cutter because of the movement.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:26 AM   #14669
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0

It’s probably not going to be a popular opinion but I think regardless of banging on a trash can only the BEST hitters can adjust on the fly at a split second to the input they are receiving. So even though the Astros and Red Sox were cheating I would say the more skilled players were probably benefiting from the input they were receiving.

Not sure if I’m making any sense but I’m sure you all get what I’m trying to say.

A poor hitter is not going to benefit from cheating as much as a good hitter.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 AM   #14670
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

it fel flat but I was being disingenuous and facetious about Rivera. Its not practical for every pitcher to rise to his most extreme example but I still wish pitchers were skilled enough to be impervious to sign stealing.
Quote:
It’s probably not going to be a popular opinion but I think regardless of banging on a trash can only the BEST hitters can adjust on the fly at a split second to the input they are receiving. So even though the Astros and Red Sox were cheating I would say the more skilled players were probably benefiting from the input they were receiving.
Not sure if I’m making any sense but I’m sure you all get what I’m trying to say.

what makes it doubly bad about Houston IMO is they didn't stop the program because Major League Baseball said so, or that they suddenly grew a conscience, no, they said they quit with the sign stealing because they felt it didnt work. : |
but the truth probably lies closer in the fact they probably stopped because Cora and Beltran were no longer around.

also, I just picked up Lindy's 2020 season preview magazine and they claim Boston and Houston are just the tip of the iceberg, they charge Arizona Cleveland Toronto Texas the Cubs Yankees and yes, the Dodgers and Washington , with employing similar digital surveillance skills. it would seem to me the reason Manfred issued to other teams the direct not to discuss is to keep it under the rug similar to the way they treated PED's after the '94 strike. of course the Dodgers have started balking at this in droves the last couple days and everybody in Los Angeles except the batboy and the peanut vendor has started getting their 2 cents in.

A Work in Progress
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #14671
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Here's a secret from the depths of the game:

All 30 teams cheat.

Team A or Team B not being named in any reports or anything doesn't mean they're clean. It just means they're good at cheating. Or bad, depending on how you look at it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #14672
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

Every hitter at the MLB level is a good hitter. They can all adjust in a split second. To think that hitters wouldn't perform better if they knew what was coming is asinine.

There's a reason pitchers throw more than 1 pitch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »