Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #14673
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Every hitter at the MLB level is a good hitter. They can all adjust in a split second. To think that hitters wouldn't perform better if they knew what was coming is asinine.

There's a reason pitchers throw more than 1 pitch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app
this would be an excellent experiment for Mythbusters, get 3 or 4 mlb hitters & 3 or 4 mlb pitchers, then let the pitchers tell the hitters what pitch they're gonna throw, see how often they make contact versus not knowing which pitch is coming.
also, this reminds me of a little gem of a nugget in the Neyer-James Guide to Pitchers: back in the day, it wasn't the pitchers job to upset the applecart, rather to get the batter put the ball in play so that the spectators could enjoy some action. with baseball so dominated by the 3 true outcomes in today's version of base ball, I wouldn't be opposed to a radical retinkering of the game: completely remove the mound, move the fences back in whichever stadiums it's possible by 20-30 feet, deaden the ball by redesigning the cork, fill the game back up with more doubles and triples, it'll result in less homers walks and strikeouts but the action will be infinitely more, with more webgems and extrabase hits.
Remember, come November, vote Kennesaw Mountain Caulfield as new Commissioner for life of Major League base ball ‘‘an extrabase hit in every pot and a webgem in every garage’’. this is my pledge to every fan interested in the return of the game of base ball.

A Work in Progress
Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #14674

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
this would be an excellent experiment for Mythbusters, get 3 or 4 mlb hitters & 3 or 4 mlb pitchers, then let the pitchers tell the hitters what pitch they're gonna throw, see how often they make contact versus not knowing which pitch is coming.
Didn't we do enough this "mythbusting" the last couple seasons?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #14675
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Here's a secret from the depths of the game:

All 30 teams cheat.

Team A or Team B not being named in any reports or anything doesn't mean they're clean. It just means they're good at cheating. Or bad, depending on how you look at it.
I was just going to say that while teams/individuals of teams likely cheat in their own particular ways, I can absolutely 1000% guarantee you that Hunter Pence didn't know when a curveball or slider was coming from righties while on San Francisco.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #14676
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I’m not naive enough to think that the Astros didn’t have an advantage due to the sign stealing but I’m also not vindictive enough to believe that they were unbeatable by having this advantage.

They had a better road record than at home and won the World Series by defeating the Dodgers twice in Los Angeles.

While I don’t believe the punishment was harsh enough (I think they should’ve lost more draft picks and international pool money) I don’t buy the premise that they should be stripped of the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #14677
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

New for the 2020 MLB season: Much like NFL referees have done for years, umpires will be mic’d up and tell fans in attendance and those watching on television and listening on radio if reviewed calls are upheld or overturned. They may also explain rules, if necessary.
— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) January 27, 2020
Old 01-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #14678
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
New for the 2020 MLB season: Much like NFL referees have done for years, umpires will be mic’d up and tell fans in attendance and those watching on television and listening on radio if reviewed calls are upheld or overturned. They may also explain rules, if necessary.
Like this. It'll be nice to know why a call gets upheld - whether they actually confirmed the on-field call or they didn't have enough evidence to overturn.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #14679
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Growing belief among GM's is the DH is coming to the NL in 2021.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #14680
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
I can't wait to hear Angel Hernandez provide commentary and insights as to how awful he is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »