Home

2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

This is a discussion on 2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Yep, it seems the Cubs were asking for the moon, saw that no one was biting and then they suddenly trade to the A's for lesser guys. It's a very baffling trade on so many levels.
I have no problem with the cubs trade. I think Russell could be a STUD!! They may decide to deal him for pitching prospects, but either way they'll get their money's worth.

I think Huston Street will be a really good piece for whatever team needs bullpen help, he shouldnt cost too much either. IMO Detroit would be a good fit.

The Phillies need to unload. Lee and/or Hamels should bring back a couple good prospects and Utley/Rollins may get them a couple mid-level guys

Thanks Peyton. #18

Last edited by CBoller1331; 07-07-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Jon Morosi talks about possible destinations for David Price and what it will take to acquire him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/a...-market-070614
Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Blue Jays are looking at Chase Headley, Aaron Hill, and Martin Prado.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Blue Jays are looking at Chase Headley, Aaron Hill, and Martin Prado.
Would think Headley or Prado will be in Toronto here very soon with the Edwin injury, wonder if they try and add them both just due to Prado being so versatile.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14

So, some people are saying that the A's trading Russell for Samardzija and Hammel is just about the same as the Royals trading Myers for Shields, because they are trading a Top 10 prospect for 2 years of pitching that they hope can get them into and deep into the playoffs.

Seriously?

Trading for Shields made the Royals an above .500 team, not a playoff contender. Also, they weren't trading just a prospect in Myers, they were trading a top prospect that would likely have been the starting RF to begin the season.

The A's are already in first and have a good shot at winning it all. By getting Shark and Hammel, they are bettering their chances even more. Russell is a tremendous talent and I believe he will live up to his hype, however, he's only played 14 games above High-A ball.

Myers was going to make an impact that year, while Russell won't be in the majors until next year most likely. Saying these two trades are the same is pretty ignorant of the fact that the two teams trading their prospects were in two totally different states of contention.
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
So, some people are saying that the A's trading Russell for Samardzija and Hammel is just about the same as the Royals trading Myers for Shields, because they are trading a Top 10 prospect for 2 years of pitching that they hope can get them into and deep into the playoffs.

Seriously?

Trading for Shields made the Royals an above .500 team, not a playoff contender. Also, they weren't trading just a prospect in Myers, they were trading a top prospect that would likely have been the starting RF to begin the season.

The A's are already in first and have a good shot at winning it all. By getting Shark and Hammel, they are bettering their chances even more. Russell is a tremendous talent and I believe he will live up to his hype, however, he's only played 14 games above High-A ball.

Myers was going to make an impact that year, while Russell won't be in the majors until next year most likely. Saying these two trades are the same is pretty ignorant of the fact that the two teams trading their prospects were in two totally different states of contention.
I agree. these may seem to have a lot in common to the casual fan (sorry, I don't mean to sound like a baseball snob, but I guess I am one), but when you break down this trade, the goals are really not similar at all. The biggest difference is the time they took place. The Shark-Hammel deal wasn't a mid offseason deal, it was a somewhat desperate trade to bolster the A's rotation for the last 3 1/2 months of the year. Samardzija very well could be pitching for another team come 2015. This was just your classic "rental" of a player, trying to win it all this season rather than setting a cornerstone for the years to come.

I would like to see the cubs make a move similar to the shields trade this offseason, but that's a whole different situation

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
the team

k_mac's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoller1331
I would like to see the cubs make a move similar to the shields trade this offseason, but that's a whole different situation
Let the kids come up and prove they can play in the bigs, then we can start talking about making deals like that. I'd rather not give up a top 10 prospect + organizational top tens this offseason for a guy like Shields.

I'd much rather us target a big name FA pitcher, since we're likely going to have a top ten pick. It would cost a 2nd rounder instead of a 1st, if the player had a qualifying offer.

Maybe we can talk about dealing/contending heavily after the 2015 season. Right now, I think it's still premature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #16
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Yep, it seems the Cubs were asking for the moon, saw that no one was biting and then they suddenly trade to the A's for lesser guys. It's a very baffling trade on so many levels.
I sincerely hope this is sarcasm..............Because to call Addison Russell a "lesser guy" is just flat ignorance otherwise, considering he's a Top 5 MLB prospect on virtually all major scouting services. What comparable headliner was available? Gary Sanchez? Aaron Sanchez? lol, give me a break.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »